Science Forums

Intelligent Driving

freeztar

This is a subject I think about a lot (while driving of course) and thought it would be beneficial to try to come up with a list of things that we consider "intelligent driving" (ID). By ID, I mean intelligent things that drivers do *beyond* beneficial safety practices outlined in driver's ed courses.

So, in your opinion, what types of behavior make an intelligent driver? I'm particularly interested in the non-self serving answers. :)

Also, I'm not looking for sweeping answers, such as a paragraph-long spiel about how awareness is the most important aspect of intelligent driving. ;)

I'll start it off:

• Check the rear-view mirror when stopped at an intersection - This is beneficial for two reasons. You can react to a possible rear end collision and you can nudge forward a little bit to let that car behind you into the turning lane ;)
  • Don't trust the green light - Intelligent drivers check both ways before pressing on the accelerator. Nonetheless, an unwarranted stall at the green light is not considerate to driver behind you. You can pick up that cd you dropped onto the floorboard *after* going through the intersection. :evil:
  • Make a right instead of a left - During rush-hour on high volume roads, it can be almost impossible to make a left near a busy intersection. Unfortunately, I've had the unpleasant experience of being stuck behind such a person for 15 minutes at my local gas station. There was no way they were going to make that left. They could have saved us both a lot of time if they had simply made a right, got in the left-hand turning lane and made a u-turn. Intelligent drivers don't waste time. :steering:

:steering: :evil:

• Intelligent drivers share the road. Aka Friendly drivers arrive sooner. My father noted that his 800 Air Force Reserve buddies could exit the base alot faster than his 150 fellow Sunday church goers, because they let the next guy go ahead of them, in an orderly fashion - instead of trying to be the first one out the driveway of the parking lot.
    To finish sooner, take your time
  • Veteran drivers in Houston do not take short cuts. Because all the rookie drivers are also trying to take the same short cut so it chokes up and actually takes longer than just waiting your turn in the normal traffic.
  • Intelligent drivers look out for dark oil patches on the road. An oil patch exists where other cars have hit a bump or dip in the road and knocked off some of the dark engine oil. If you see one coming prepare for it.
  • Intelligent drivers look in the direction they are going before turning right - not just at oncoming traffic on the left. I know of too many cases where a person turning right assumed that there would be noone in the right lane, then collided with a person on the road making a left hand turn and cutting it too close. Do what your mamma told you and look both ways. :)
  • Wise drivers do not trust a turn signal. Just because you see an oncoming vehicle with their right turn signal on, does not mean he is actually going to turn. If you pull out in front of him you may find out he just forgot that he had it on.
  • Intelligent drivers are always looking for the out. Keep an eye on the shoulders of the road. You might have to use them if the cars in front of you lock up their brakes and the guy behind you misses that key point.
  • Intelligent drivers know that there is more than one way out of a jam. You don't have to use your brakes to get out of a situation. Sometimes hitting the accelerator is the better choice.
  • Intelligent Texan drivers can outfox nasty Boston drivers. I noticed the pattern that every time I hit the turn signal in Boston, they would intentionally close ranks to prevent me from getting in. So I learned to feint a turn signal and then as they accelerated to squeeze me out, I would roll into the hole they left behind. ... take that ya' rat bastards. (Don't get me wrong - they are very nice in person - just don't let them get behind the wheel!)

Good ones Sym! :evil:

• Intelligent Texan drivers can outfox nasty Boston drivers. I noticed the pattern that every time I hit the turn signal in Boston, they would intentionally close ranks to prevent me from getting in. So I learned to feint a turn signal and then as they accelerated to squeeze me out, I would roll into the hole they left behind. ... take that ya' rat bastards. (Don't get me wrong - they are very nice in person - just don't let them get behind the wheel!)

And THAT is what I'm talking about by ID. Self-less behavior that helps both drivers as well as the general flow of traffic. :steering:

• Cruise control is your friend - My father would always drive on long road trips and he would point out to me a bizarre phenomena. When on the highway, he would always put the car in cruise control at about 8 over the posted speed limit. It was fascinating to observe how people would pass us and then 2 miles down the road we were passing them (my Dad keeping the same speed the whole time). Sometimes, as we were passing them, they would speed up. So now we have somebody on our tail in the left lane and no way to move over. We talked about it a bit and came to the conclusion that they were unaware of their actions. It was not a conscious choice! ID takes note of driver psychology. :)

Hang up the damned phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless someone is severely injured or dying (in your vehicle) you reeally don't need to be jabber jawing-away lost in that void yer brain disapears into when you pick the damn thing whilst allowing your two ton battering ram wander from lane to lane at 70mph! You reeeeaaallly do need to pay attention to the other idiots doing the same as well as how close you came to running the poor bastard in the other lane off the road!!!!!!

Those that text and browse the web while driving kindly drive off the nearest cliff!

• Watch ahead - This goes further than simply seeing what the cars infront of you are doing but also watching how the road changes. One of my favorite things to do is pay attention to when lights go red ahead of you, then slowing down just enough so when you reach the line it goes green again :steering:

• Dont trust recommended speed signs - I practice watching the curves of corners and bends in roads and instead of making sure my speedo reads the recommended speed for the corner I am approaching I 'feel' the right speed for the corner. Sometimes these recommended speeds can be much to quick (esp. when wet) or more likely, much to slow :) - I find having an intuitive feeling of driving is much better than going by numbers.

• Dont trust indicators (turning signals) - Many drivers may forget to indicate when turning or accidentally leave an indicator active when not turning. Assuming a vehicles movements by a small flashing light can spell disaster - always assume the worst and wait until its clear :evil:

• Watch ahead - This goes further than simply seeing what the cars infront of you are doing but also watching how the road changes. One of my favorite things to do is pay attention to when lights go red ahead of you, then slowing down just enough so when you reach the line it goes green again

This is a very good one!

I do the same thing, especially in traffic. It used to annoy the heck out of my girlfriend when I would be coasting at 5mph with a good 100 yards in front of me during bumper to bumper traffic (quite commonplace here). People will honk, yell, and pass me in disgust, only to end up as the next link in the mamba line way in front of me. :steering: When you have a 5 speed, it's *so* much better this way.

Don't intelligent people, on average, make more money, and hence could hire a chauffer? That seems like the most intelligent driving to me.

Is the chauffeur an "intelligent driver"?

You'd think, huh? But why is it that Britney and Lindsay and Mel keep getting nailed for running people over and driving drunk? They're richer than the Queen and they're completely wasted and they still get behind the wheel...

I guess it is an intelligence test!

Oh and Freezy: I'm an inveterate user of cruise control and have never seen an *exception* to the phenomenon you describe. Its also an *excellent* way to stay at 8 mph over the speed limit and (almost never!) get a ticket! :steering:

An Intelligent Driver checks the oil and tests the brake lights and turn signals....

The sandwiches are packed, the tea's in the flask, we've plenty of beer, and gooseberry tarts, so take a drive with me, :evil:

Buffy

How about this one:

Your already going above the speed limit (who doesnt sometimes?) and someone is riding your tail cuz your still not going fast enough.

Slow up enough (or pull over) to let them pass. That way, if a cop is waiting for speeders the guy you just let pass will pick up the tag and you can drive by waving.

This is a very good one!

I do the same thing, especially in traffic. It used to annoy the heck out of my girlfriend when I would be coasting at 5mph with a good 100 yards in front of me during bumper to bumper traffic (quite commonplace here). People will honk, yell, and pass me in disgust, only to end up as the next link in the mamba line way in front of me. :steering: When you have a 5 speed, it's *so* much better this way.

It also saves petrol and your brakes, making your drive just that little be less harmful :evil:

Your already going above the speed limit (who doesnt sometimes?) and someone is riding your tail cuz your still not going fast enough.

The least obeyed law in the US is "Slower Traffic Keep Right." This actually is a huge advantage for those of us who do the right thing and stay in the right lane except for passing because so many meatheads sit in the fast lane going at or under the speed limit, that you can breeze by them all in the "slow lane" (with the cruise control on!).....

See the breaking glass, in the underpass, :steering:

Buffy

- Intelligent Driver avoid going out in rush hour. May be then those rush hours would be reduced.

- Intelligent Driver take public transport more or ride bicycle more. It would definitely help stop air pollution. Yet walking more is good to health.

- Intelligent Driver don't waste money on luxury car. Especially those extremely highend sportive ones for they suck in the traffic.

•  

• Dont trust recommended speed signs - I practice watching the curves of corners and bends in roads and instead of making sure my speedo reads the recommended speed for the corner I am approaching I 'feel' the right speed for the corner. Sometimes these recommended speeds can be much to quick (esp. when wet) or more likely, much to slow :phones: - I find having an intuitive feeling of driving is much better than going by numbers.

Weel, you have some small mountains in Melbourne but I guess not enough...anyway here all roads in the mountains have no speed signs and hence the speed is always limited at 80km/h (as on all the "principal roads" a category we have here), unless when entering a village it is 50 and then when you get out of the village it is mostly just the "cancelled 50"-sign and rarely the 80 km/h-sign. So if you go with 80 km/h into a 180° turn it is really that you are not intelligent...

All this to say that for me it seemed a common sense thing since I learned driving on those roads.

Jet2 agree completely, you forgot just to mention my favorite definition of the sportive utility vehicles SUV=stupid useless vehicle...

Here's a big one:

• Accelerate to speed on the onramp to the highway - Nothing drives me more insane than when people nervously slow down or come to a stop when merging onto the highway. It is incredibly dangerous, and someone almost got me killed once. The onramp is like a launching shoot. Step on the gas with the intention of reaching the speed of the traffic flow on the highway by the time you get to the top. It makes merging so much easier, and avoids getting the folks behind you killed, like me.