Science Forums

Variable Speed of Light

bumab

There is also a book called "The Constants of Nature" written by John Barrow, which I have reviewed (click on "news" and then "book reviews" in the top navigation bar). It was a few years ago, but it's still a very good read. He mentions some research that was done by team led by Paul Davies which concluded that the speed of light had changed over the past few billion years.

I don't mean to seem presumtious or anything. Though i probably will.

In my Theory of Space-Time Quanta I predicted that the universe would "breathe" expanding and collapsing as areas expand and contract about the Mass-Energy they are affixed to. It would be like ripples and tides of a great ocean.

Mass-Energy would be the only thing that changed to balance the equation. I don't believe the constant c would have to change to balance said equation.

Mass-Energy would be the only thing that changed to balance the equation. I don't believe the constant c would have to change to balance said equation.

Yeah, I thought about this a little more. You can actually rearrange the equation and you can see how they are proportional.

E!=mc²

E/c²=m

There. Now after some very simple algebra, either way it will work. Add mass and the energy must increase. Add energy and mass must increase. These two are fixed proportionately.

Add mass and the energy must increase. Add energy and mass must increase. These two are fixed proportionately.

Yeah, in an open universe, where you could add mass/energy from some other place. But not in a closed one, if the conservation of energy holds.