Science Forums

Why Smoke when Lung Cancer is a leading cause of death?

Star30

It's amazing how strong and influential nicotine addiction can be. It's one of those things that is impossible to relate to unless you've been there.

Nicotine addiction is mind control. It's a disease without a cure. :weather_rain:

The only weapon against it is unending resolve to abstain.

It's helpful to have a plan. You KNOW you'll have cravings. You know you'll be in circumstances that make you really really really want one. Have a plan. "When I crave a cigarette, I will do THIS instead." I will have a glass of water. I will count to 20. I will go for a walk. I will suck on a hard candy. I will have a carrot. I will do 50 pushups. I will not have a cigarette.

Have a plan. Have options. Don't keep doing the same thing. Wait. Delay yourself and the craving will pass. Have a plan and have your options ready.

THEN... it's mind control, but you need a plan, and you need to replace the behavior with something you enjoy so you don't miss it or feel like there's some sort of gap in your life. It's a part of your life that is killing you, and you don't want to intentionally make yourself sick. :doh:

HydrogenBond

Here is a smoking related question. Some company attempt to help their employees quit by making not smoking part of the job requirement. This is all well and good. The question I have is since they are regulating what the employees can do on their own time' date=' is the company required to pay them overtime for their personal time since they are controlling it? If the company was trying to help as a friends it is different. But the motivation is reducing medical insurance premiums, i.e., strictly business. [/quote']

this type of thing is happening all over the US, Local as in local hospitals, city buildings and county parks NO FED. regulations yet. at first it was protested buy saying that it was an infringement of personal rights but it was determined that if second hand smoke could give you cancer you had no leg to stand on, the fight goes on and the smokers will loose in the end as the US cracks down the tobacco Co. are increasing there sales to other countries,

a few links as to such.

On June 29' date=' 2004, Governor Donald L. Carcieri signed into law a bill passed by the RI General Assembly that prohibits smoking in public places and workplaces in Rhode Island. The “Public Health and Workplace Safety Law” will take effect March 1, 2005. This law will protect Rhode Islanders at work and in public places from the effects of secondhand smoke. The law ensures a smoke-free environment for business owners, employees, and the public. Rhode Islanders will reap the health and economic benefits of being smoke-free. [/quote']

Smokefree Public Place and Workplace Law

Summary of Tennessee’s Workplace Smoking Ban

When does the smoking ban take effect?

Public Chapter 410, known as the "Non-Smoker Protection Act", was signed into law by Governor Bredesen on June 11th, and will become effective on October 1, 2007.

Where is smoking prohibited under the new law?

Under this new law, smoking is prohibited in all enclosed public places within the State of Tennessee with a few exceptions.

The smoking ban applies, but is not limited to:

Restaurants

Public and private educational facilities

Health care facilities

Hotels and motels

Retail stores and shopping malls

Sports arenas, including enclosed public areas in outdoor arenas

Restrooms, lobbies, reception areas, hallways and other common-use areas

Lobbies, hallways and other common areas in apartment buildings and other multiple-unit residential facilities

Child care and adult day care facilities

Workplace Smoking Ban - TN.gov

freeztar

It's amazing how strong and influential nicotine addiction can be. It's one of those things that is impossible to relate to unless you've been there.

:thumbs_up I can hear you.

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

I wish I had taken this bit of advice from my mum...you never miss that which you've never had.

Me Too. :wink:

REASON

Not only does smoking suck and blow' date=' but it's also a drag. [/quote']

:headbang:

Behavior modification is often a successful means of smoking cessation. :wink:

When I smoked before I had a strong urgency to smoke after eating. If I didn't I became anxious and irritable. Going for a walk after dinner is ideal or for me dessert. I try to make it a small dessert. I prefer coffee with cream and sugar. Coffee/caffeine is a stimulant, helps you focus and it acts as an appetite supressant. :thumbs_up

Oh yeah, it helps me get another hour or so of study time in or several hours of paperwork focus assistance. :headbang:

I really enjoy everyones contribution, but man I am starting to feel the urge. No worries. It's not worth it. What would I gain?

forgot to add link to secondhand smoke.

Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers

Does secondhand smoke contain harmful chemicals?

Yes. Of the more than 4' date='000 chemicals that have been identified in secondhand tobacco smoke, at least 250 are known to be harmful, and 50 of these are known to cause cancer. These chemicals include (1):

arsenic (a heavy metal toxin)

benzene (a chemical found in gasoline)

beryllium (a toxic metal)

cadmium (a metal used in batteries)

chromium (a metallic element)

ethylene oxide (a chemical used to sterilize medical devices)

nickel (a metallic element)

polonium–210 (a chemical element that gives off radiation)

vinyl chloride (a toxic substance used in plastics manufacture)

Many factors affect which chemicals are found in secondhand smoke, including the type of tobacco, the chemicals added to the tobacco, the way the product is smoked, and the paper in which the tobacco is wrapped (1, 3, 4). [/quote']

Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers - National Cancer Institute

Stare 30

Behavior modification is often a successful means of smoking cessation.

When I smoked before I had a strong urgency to smoke after eating. If I didn't I became anxious and irritable. Going for a walk after dinner is ideal or for me dessert. I try to make it a small dessert. I prefer coffee with cream and sugar. Coffee/caffeine is a stimulant' date=' helps you focus and it acts as an appetite supressant.

Oh yeah, it helps me get another hour or so of study time in or several hours of paperwork focus assistance.

I really enjoy everyones contribution, but man I am starting to feel the urge. No worries. It's not worth it. What would I gain?

[/quote']

I get up in the morning at 4:45am EST and I can go till 7:30 or so till I want a smoke, but the Wife wake's up and before her feet hit the floor she has one lit,

Question: do you smoke one as soon as you get up or do you wait till you wake up first, (as in how long after you wake up before you have a smoke)

{Note: Poll for smokers only } :headbang:

Question: do you smoke one as soon as you get up or do you wait till you wake up first, (as in how long after you wake up before you have a smoke)

{Note: Poll for smokers only }

Hit the snooze button, groan moan mumble profanities, grab lighter and ciggie placed on the nightstand the night before, click flick puff (hit the snooze again) puff.

I light my first smoke of the day a good 9 minutes before I'm anything even vaguely resembling awake.

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Hit the snooze button' date=' groan moan mumble profanities, grab lighter and ciggie placed on the nightstand the night before, click flick puff (hit the snooze again) puff.

I light my first smoke of the day a good 9 minutes before I'm anything even vaguely resembling awake. [/quote']

:headbang: :thumbs_up :wink: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

Glad my morning ritual brings you mirth

(It scares me sometimes though....where'd the cherry go?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?)

I've been in search of that cherry for a long time,

I through the but out the window,

but where the cherry went I don't know,

it's still around I know,

for when I go fast the smoke do blow.

I'm not sure how to word this so keep that in mind.

There was a past study (sweden I think) which I cant find now that indicated smokers cost society less in the long run, basically cuz they tend to die younger than non-smokers.

And another now indicating the same thing with an added twist:

Actually, a long, healthy life costs more

"Ultimately, the thin and healthy group cost the most, about $417,000, from age 20 on. The cost of care for obese people was $371,000, and for smokers, about $326,000."

So maybe the government should be subsidizing smokers and McDonalds in an effort to reduce cost rather than encouraging people to live longer. :yeahthat:

I'm not sure how to word this so keep that in mind.

There was a past study (sweden I think) which I cant find now that indicated smokers cost society less in the long run, basically cuz they tend to die younger than non-smokers.

And another now indicating the same thing with an added twist:

Actually, a long, healthy life costs more

"Ultimately, the thin and healthy group cost the most, about $417,000, from age 20 on. The cost of care for obese people was $371,000, and for smokers, about $326,000."

So maybe the government should be subsidizing smokers and McDonalds in an effort to reduce cost rather than encouraging people to live longer. :eek_big:

Don't forget the benefits gained from the unfair massive taxation of tobaco products. If Uncle Sam is goin to rape us for smoking the least he should do is make "quitting aids" available to smokers for FREE....

Everyone talks about how the tobacco industry is a multi-billion dollar a year industry...

Who benefitts from all the tax revenue from those billions....taken first from the folks that grow it...then from the folks that process it....then from the chaw and ciggie manufacturers...then the distributers...then the stores...then the consumer in the form of a state tobacco tax, a fed tobac tax and then regular sales tax!

For Whom the Bell Tolls

by John Donne

No man is an island,

Entire of itself.

Each is a piece of the continent,

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less.

As well as if a promontory were.

As well as if a manner of thine own

Or of thine friend's were.

Each man's death diminishes me,

For I am involved in mankind.

Therefore, send not to know

For whom the bell tolls,

It tolls for thee.

Home -> Inspirations -> Poems -> For Whom the Bell Tolls - John Donne

On purely economic considerations

I wonder if you have spent lots of money and resources educating a person and they die young if you have got value for your investment?

Also treatment of the multitude of diseases cased by smoking must be expensive -otherwise the government would not be trying so hard to stop us smoking?

On eradicating tobacco

A new tax price hike on alcohol and tobacco yesterday. A pack of cigarettes is $7-10.

What is does seem to be starting now is a black market in tobacco.

"Shag" (??!) is the name of unprocessed tobacco that is sold illegally in some areas.

I think it may be grown in Queensland.

Tobacco is a very easy plant to grow.

In Australia we are inundated with anti-smoking adds but I think (?) a "slowing rate" of people "giving up" (An Irish way of putting it but I hope my meaning is clear)

Young girls in particular seem to be taking up the habit.

While young Guys -who play sport and find smoking interferes with their fitness- don't tend to smoke as much.