Science Forums

Why Smoke when Lung Cancer is a leading cause of death?

Star30

There is nothing else once you smoke you keep going because you are addicted...there are plenty of reasons on why to start, but only one to keep going. Things like saying it helps me relax, can be true but still is only a good excuse. It relaxes me that is true, all the things that go with too: I roll them so smoking means for me go on the balcony, sit down and take some time to roll them and then smoke in peace; I think it fits very well that it helps relaxing, but if I weren't addicted I would just find other as effective ways to relax. In conclusion to say it in clear words: in my view it is lie if someone says that he smokes for any other reason than because he is addicted.

Being true to oneself means also to accept addiction...

There is nothing else once you smoke you keep going because you are addicted...there are plenty of reasons on why to start, but only one to keep going. Things like saying it helps me relax, can be true but still is only a good excuse. It relaxes me that is true, all the things that go with too: I roll them so smoking means for me go on the balcony, sit down and take some time to roll them and then smoke in peace; I think it fits very well that it helps relaxing, but if I weren't addicted I would just find other as effective ways to relax. In conclusion to say it in clear words: in my view it is lie if someone says that he smokes for any other reason than because he is addicted.

Being true to oneself means also to accept addiction...

I load my own gun too. (roll my smokes)

As for your last comment I don't agree entirely. I smoke yes because I'm addicted...BUT that isn't the only reason...I also smoke because I enjoy it...I like the smell of zippo fluid and smoke, I like the taste of the smoke, I like the sensation of inhaling the smoke, I like watching it, and except for the toll it's taking on my health I like how it makes me feel. There are those that smoke pipes and cigars for the enjoyment of it...I like my ciggies. I'll likely quit someday...not ready just yet...I tried before and lasted a whole 10 months...then another time two weeks...I'm just not that able to committ to quitting just yet.

I load my own gun too. (roll my smokes)

As for your last comment I don't agree entirely. I smoke yes because I'm addicted...BUT that isn't the only reason...I also smoke because I enjoy it...I like the smell of zippo fluid and smoke, I like the taste of the smoke, I like the sensation of inhaling the smoke, I like watching it, and except for the toll it's taking on my health I like how it makes me feel. There are those that smoke pipes and cigars for the enjoyment of it...I like my ciggies. I'll likely quit someday...not ready just yet...I tried before and lasted a whole 10 months...then another time two weeks...I'm just not that able to committ to quitting just yet.

I like that you're completely honest with yourself about it.

I'm 41. Started when I was 14 for a stupid effing reason. All of the joys you describe above I experience as well.

My current fear is the visualization I have that when I'm about 55, I'm sitting in a doctor's office when he begins to say, "I'm going to be completely straight with you, the results of your tests are not good.....maybe had you quit 15 or so years ago, you wouldn't be faced with this." Of course, I don't know that it will happen, but the thought of it is becoming quite a motivator to quit.

I would never sit in judgement of those who choose to smoke because I understand. For me, I feel as though I'm ready to set it aside as something I used to do.

I want to live as long as possible. Killing myself with cigarettes isn't consistant with that desire.

RIGHT ON! Reason, I am so happy to hear you say that. Why have regrets later, if only I had.... It's not just about smoking either. All of us put ourselves at risk with unhealthy diets whether high fat or way low calorie intake (i.e. anorexic nervosa).

I hope I have not come across as judging. I am overly curious and suspicious and just plain talk too much sometimes.

Star

dang it wher'd that thought go?!?!

My personal fave are people that smoke for years, get cancer and then blame the tobaco company. Uh DUH!!!!! says right on the packaging "warning this product is known to cause cancer"!!!!!!!! And those tobak execs forecd you to do it huh?!?

I hope you don't think that's where I was coming from. I take full responsibility for my actions regarding smoking. Nobody's forcing me to do anything. And I agree with you that those who take that position are ridiculous, and probably just looking for a big payday.

I hope you don't think that's where I was coming from. I take full responsibility for my actions regarding smoking. Nobody's forcing me to do anything. And I agree with you that those who take that position are rediculous, and probably just looking for a big payday.

No Reason that wasn't aimed at you...T'was merely a thought that seemed appropriate for that particular space in the thread. I'm rather pleased that you agree though...I'm sick of the new american way...what's so difficult about exercising common sence and taking responcibility for ones actions?

(I'm not saying you have this problem either:hihi:...it's just another related thought:hihi: O.k.:eek_big:)

DFINITLYDISTRUBD

dang it wher'd that thought go?!?!

My personal fave are people that smoke for years' date=' get cancer and then blame the tobaco company. Uh DUH!!!!! says right on the packaging "warning this product is known to cause cancer"!!!!!!!! [b']And those tobak execs forecd you to do it huh?!?[/b]

That happens to me to.

Well I started smoking when I was 10 (behind the barn, 40 years ago) and at that time there was no warning label, as a mater of fact all of the advertisement for cigs said how relaxing and soothing it was.

the warning label was added latter and gotten more intense over the years,

I still smoke and accept my addiction to it, although I have cut way back I still can't seem to kick the habit.

I wish I had know how bad it was before I started smoking but I cant see taking anyone to court on the grounds (I don't have the willpower to quit).

why can't they make a smoke that won't kill you?

Michaelangelica

Has anyone said because it is more addictive than heroin?

no but I'm glad you brought that up.

sanctus

Is it really? In the sense if most of the ex heroin-addicts smoke

Yes' date=' very bad if you don't smoke don't start.

Nicotine Is More Addictive Than Heroin

I would like to thank this nations leading expert on addiction, Jack Henningfield for pointing out that nicotine is more addictive than heroin, alcohol, or cocaine. A true voice uncorrupted by tobacco money. I would also add that tobacco has a far higher death rate (33%?) than either heroin, alcohol, or cocaine. Yet, addiction criteria alone does not determine the nicotine (or illicit drug) health threat.

http://www.lycaeum.org/drugwar/hening.html

Tobacco is as addictive as heroin (as a mood & behavior altering agent).

Nicotine is:

1000 X more potent than alcohol

10-100 X more potent than barbiturates

5-10 X more potent than cocaine or morphine

A 1-2 pack per day smoker takes 200-400 hits daily for years. This constant intake of a fast acting drug (which affects mood' date=' concentration & performance).. eventually produces dependence. [/quote']

Division of Periodontology: Tobacco Use Cessation Program

defintelyydisturbed, I enjoy all those things too, but would I enjoy it if I weren't addicted? I mean when you don't smoke for 24h or more and then you lit a rolled cigarette usually my head starts turning; it is fun but there isn't this relaxation part...

(I smoke american spirit by the way sold as 100% pure tobacco if it is true)

sanctus

(I smoke american spirit by the way sold as 100% pure tobacco if it is true)

there are all kinds of additives' date=' in tobacco I'm no chemist and have no idea what they are.

Cigarette tobacco additives

The following is the full and complete list of cigarette tobacco ingredients (additives) used by six major American cigarette manufacturers for the year 2000.

Additives make cigarettes more acceptable to the consumer. They make cigarettes milder and easier to inhale, improve taste, prolong burning, and shelf life. Of course, most brands only contain a small portion (5-20) of these ingredients. There are a few that contain no additives at all (notably Winston S2).

While all of these ingredients have been shown to be safe in food products by one or more regulatory bodies, there is little evidence demonstrating the safety of these additives when smoked in a cigarette. Until recently manufacturers weren't even required to list quantities or to specify which brands contained which additives.

Since 1985, the major tobacco companies have annually provided to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services a list of all ingredients added to tobacco in the manufacture of cigarettes. Health and Human Services is required to notify the U.S. Congress of any concerns it has with any ingredients on this list. This list is compiled from the year 2000 report.

Cigarette tobacco [email protected]

[Quuote=] REASON

'Cause it'll probably taste like decaffinated coffee, diet pop, fat free salad dressing, unsalted chips, alchohol free beer, or some other crappy alternative to our favorite addictive ingestibles. [/Quote]

To True.

Here is a smoking related question. Some company attempt to help their employees quit by making not smoking part of the job requirement. This is all well and good. The question I have is since they are regulating what the employees can do on their own time, is the company required to pay them overtime for their personal time since they are controlling it? If the company was trying to help as a friends it is different. But the motivation is reducing medical insurance premiums, i.e., strictly business.

Because it sucks.

It also blows. :doh:

It's amazing how strong and influential nicotine addiction can be. It's one of those things that is impossible to relate to unless you've been there.

Nicotine addiction is mind control. It's a disease without a cure. :weather_rain:

The only weapon against it is unending resolve to abstain.

D.F.- Yes, very bad if you don't smoke don't start.

I wish I had taken this bit of advice from my mum...you never miss that which you've never had.

H.B.- Here is a smoking related question. Some company attempt to help their employees quit by making not smoking part of the job requirement. This is all well and good. The question I have is since they are regulating what the employees can do on their own time, is the company required to pay them overtime for their personal time since they are controlling it? If the company was trying to help as a friends it is different. But the motivation is reducing medical insurance premiums, i.e., strictly business.
Odds are they are not compensated for off the clock time...thogh I believe that any employer that impliments this type of policy should be required by law to pay for all hours that this effects his employees.

Sanctus-defintelyydisturbed, I enjoy all those things too, but would I enjoy it if I weren't addicted? I mean when you don't smoke for 24h or more and then you lit a rolled cigarette usually my head starts turning; it is fun but there isn't this relaxation part...

I don't know...I've smoked for more than 3/4 of my time on this earth..But I must have enjoyed something about it before I was hooked.

24hr!?!?!?! GEEEEEESH!! You madman!!!!! At present I don't think I could last a full hour!!!(2.5 pack a day habit)

I do get the buzz though on those rare occasions when I must wait an ungodly amount of time between smokes.

Sure wish I had all of the cash I've blown over the years on these fkn things!!!

that's 10's of thousands of dollars easy.

REASON-no offence intended...

D.d.- I'm not saying you have this problem either..:doh:.it's just another related thought :hihi:O.k.:weather_rain:)

and I hope none taken...this was intended to avoid further offence but I can see how it might have had the opposite effect.

REASON-no offence intended... and I hope none taken...this was intended to avoid further offence but I can see how it might have had the opposite effect.

None taken DD. :weather_rain: I really didn't think you were addressing me but the timing of your post was curious. I'm clear about it. I know where you're at with this (as I puff away). Your candor speaks volumes. I'm glad you're not in denial about it like so many people I run into.

Not only does smoking suck and blow, but it's also a drag. :doh: