I hear this often sproted on this forum.
Can anyone prove it?
(1) What would you consider proof? How do you define literacy? For me intelligence is interest (presence) in life, leading to the effort to discover more. Literacy as opposed to being literate, which means learned/ intelligent, comprises of passive input (reading) and active output (writing). The latter is further subdivided into spelling (What letters go in a word and where) and grammar (word order and word endings principally to change meaning, not excluding prefix's though): From the quote at the bottom of this post, verbal skills are included but to me literacy is the written word and its use and understanding - as for your wife not being able to find a toilet because it had a symbol on it rather than a written sign, this is about emotional intelligence and art (visual skill/ the whole) being different from deciphering a line of symbols or details within a landscape/ picture (mental skill).
Does socialism lead to literacy?
Does competition lead to literacy?
(2) Literacy as with an other subject is something you do well in if motivated - socialism takes away the need to try: Imagine a race - if you don't compete against others on the track or your own previous best effort, then you aren't going to bother running are you? (intellect is no different from bodily skills in this respect - emotion steers you forth on your big adventure as boredom makes you give up all effort as does negativity (apathy - I'm not going to get anywhere, so why try?)
Is post Thatcher Britain socialist?
(3) Yes, by government: No, by business as you say below
Not with two trillion $ in British banks in offshore accounts . One third of the world's private wealth.
My female Cousin I continually quote.
she says "All males have Asperger's to some extent."
It is interesting the large number of autistic and asperger's kids now being born in Silicon Valley
(4) Pointed out before but still true - my old doctor in Caithness said he didn't believe in Aspergers and thought it was just maleness of some sort, manifesting itself
An assumption that does not necessarily follow.
Brawn and brain can go together.
Schwarzenegger seems to be doing OK managing the world's sixth biggest economy.
(5) As I said earlier business can balance the books but that doesn't mean you have a real depth of understanding of it, just the emotional balance to balance the books (Mr Micawber and happiness/misery quote)
I don't really follow your argument here.
Are you saying that literacy or speech is class related?
What happens in a relativly classless society like Australia?
I can see that the paragraph is peppered with more assumptions.
I can't see that IQ and reading ability are equated.
They may be, but this does not have to be the case.
A proper IQ test (Wechsler administered by a clinical psychologist) or for pre literate Young uns 'draw a man
') can give you an IQ figure rather than a pen and paper test. So almost no literacy needed to get an IQ figure.Then of course you have to equate IQ and intelligence (another story/argument)
(6) See further emotional intelligence stuff below (making sense of the senses)
I did read somewhere that most PhDs were gained by people with slightly above average intelligence, not the super-high IQ or super-bright.
This seems to indicate qualities like discipline, attention span, determination, work ethic, ability to delay immediate gratification, etc., are all qualities necessary to get to the top of the educational ladder
(Incidentally, all qualities kids would learn if they learnt a musical instrument and joined an orchestra.)
You might suggest it to those with some influence over your youth gangs?
(7) The educational system with regards to the UK, used to encourage debate and thought at University level - nowadays it seems to have abandoned independent thought (intelligence as I define it) for the American model of rote learning: Rote learning is fine when you're trying to instill facts in pupils heads, to use at a later date but intelligence (art) is what you do with it after e.g. Poetry or jokes after learning to spell (read/ write).
This is an interesting local site with something to say about junior literacyLiteracy Web Australia
It is infesting that my extremely literate, competent. book-editing wife; could not find the toilet at the international Airport the other day because there was only a symbol for it, not a word.
Her text messages are punctuated correctly and grammatically correct. (When she uses them because they take her so long to write!).
BTW does anyone know if ther is a mobile phone text stroke for a colon? ":"[/quote]
What I meant about lower class and middle class skills, is visual skills (hand/ eye co-ordination) for physical acts (action heroes), versus reasoning skills (decipherment: Artist Effect and standing back to observe, understand and suggest new angle as opposed to stepping forward to act). Male versus female, practical versus theoretical, social co-operation versus individual creativity - sound expands our awareness into a general perception of the world, which is good for action as energy (attention) moves outwards. Whereas thought (vision) concentrates our attention down to finer and finer detail, introverting us and making us ponder our experiences, rather than just carry on with our effort.
(9) If I had my way, education would be streamed into Doers (practical skills,like gardening, cooking, sports etc), Thinkers (academics - non-fiction writers, scientists, politicians) and Feelers (artists, healers, the spiritual). This doesn't mean pupils wouldn't be able to move between these fields as they needed to (as you say it isn't always that clear cut and shouldn't be - I further believe we need segregation(where you can feel safe amongst those with something in common with you) and places to mix(where you can venture out and experiment, if you feel bored with your current life - after all how would reproduction occur, if we didn't mix with the opposite sex? No intercourse, no future race) but it should be voluntary). I don't believe in blanket education: Everybody needing to know the same thing at the same level - 'From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs'. We don't need clones but this is what dictorship and fear is about (If everybody is me, how can I be in danger? (from the unknown/ other)).
To clarify further - positive emotion leads to effort (tiny hope in Pandora's box - grabbing hold)as negative emotion leads to none (giant despair - letting go into expansive unconsciousness: This is why depression is considered a mental illness as it leads to cutting off attention and effort to the outside world and why Marx considered religion the opiate of the masses). Hence consciousness and detailed knowledge going together and semi-consciousness leading to more generalised awareness. Males are crude as women are refined versions of us for this reason - they bring hope for future generations (child breeding and care) as we bring despair (violent conflict - individual violence/ social upheaval, through war and rebellion).
(10) Any more questions - address them to the hand.