Science Forums

Humanist Weddings

C1ay

There's an idea I've been pondering for a while now that I'd like to get some feedback on. The legality of my idea is pretty much U.S. centric but the overall social aspect has some international effects as well.

Although I am atheist I generally refer to my belief system as "Secular Humanist". I noticed that Dr. Michael Newdow sometimes referred to himself as Reverend Newdow. He got an online Ordination from the Universal Life Church. He is effectively an ordained atheist minister :)

I have thought about doing the same. It seems that the Universal Life Church also provides the letter of recommendation required to be recognized by the State as a legal minister with religious and legal authority to perform certain acts. This would effectively allow me to perform humanist weddings for those that want a non-religious ceremony without utilizing the Justice of the Peace at the courthouse.

This idea brings several questions to mind though. Am I being hypocritical in that I do not consider atheism to be a religion in the first place? Is it necessarily wrong to be unfaithful to my own beliefs for the benefit of others? Would it be irresponsible of me to do this knowing that it could ultimately lead to a legal challenge of my authority which would effectively cast a legal shadow over the people I had married?

Feedback anyone? FWIW, I do intend to consult an attorney as well before pursuing this but I would like the opinions of my peers.

Funny you should bring this up C1ay. My fiancee and I were discussing something similar the other night. Neither of us is religious so we're completely uncertain about how to go about our wedding ceremony.

I don't think you're being hypocritical and I view your intent as altruistic. I do share your concerns about the legal issues though. I suppose only a lawyer can address those issues.

Or a captain of a ship;o)

My wife and I were married by a friend who got a liscense to perform marraige ceremonies from an ad on the back of a magazine!

There really are two seperate issues, the ceremony and the legal liscense. It doesn't matter who performs the marraige as the state/government recognizes the legality of the liscense. So you can have your ceremony performed in a Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Jewish, or other place of worship just as you can have the marraige performed by a Justice of the Peace, Friend with a liscense from a magazine, Chapel of Love in the Mall of America, Las Vegas or other location.

The most important issue is the couples commitment to each other. All the rest is fluff:)

from: Ordination Online: Become a Minister, Officiate Weddings and More. Women Welcome

Click here to become ordained.

Easier than checking your email :)

C1ay,

If it is your intention to provide a means of union with those who share humanist beliefs then I think becoming ordained would be the natural choice. In this setting, I don't think being ordained would constrain your beliefs at all.

However, the option of a secular marriage is already available through judges. So, if you wish to provide a generally non-theological choice to people seeking union, being ordained probably would be a bit odd or at least at-odds with such a purpose.

I don't know - that is tricky

- modest

• 9 months later...

Is there any data that compares the various types of marriage contracts/ceremonies to see which bind the best in terms of longevity, and which bind the least and allow the most flexibility to get out? There are extremes in all choices, but I was talking about the averages. The advantage of knowing this is for future planning. If choice x, lasts 5 years on the average and choice y, 10 years on the average, one can use this trend to help plan the future probabilities, allowing either more flexibility or more security depending the couple's goal.

One does not go into any legal contract based on just promises people don't have to keep. Marriage should be no different. This data would allow one to sign a 1-50 year contract, with possible contract extensions, with some statistical level of certainty. If one technique allows a 5 year average contract, this allows renegotiations in 5 years or gives one the flexibility for a trade. If you are really happy with the terms of the original contract, you might decide to pick a ceremony where the data says its lasts to retirement.

This data would create some interesting pre-marriage discussions. If you chose a short term average contract alternative, you may have to explain why. I would hate to be the guy proposing the 3-5 year ceremony if his beloved, had all the data in front of her. On the other hand, without this data readily available, to compare, those who do their research can have the best of both worlds, without the other person never really knowing it. One can get the better end of the deal by doing you research.

If one use the 1-3 year average method (Vegas Method) and the other doesn't research the data, but subjectively assumes a 20 year contract, one could get better insider treatment even while you plan your trade in 1-3 years. Upon average expiration, the general manage gets the bad news and totally messes up their plans. It won't be your fault because you have data that shows your timing is right at the average for the method. The other person is at fault because they didn't do their research and assumed something that data just did not support.