Science Forums

Evolution Must Be Taught in Public Schools

Freddy

Coming soon in 2008 to your city--click on "play":

The Playground for Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

'On the Formation of Homo sapiens by Intelligence' by Ben Stein.

...and the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul [Genesis 2:7, King James].

The "dust to man" theory of human origins that has been "expelled" from the lexicon of scientific thinking--how did we miss the evidence :Glasses:, thank you Stein.

Advice to all teachers of biology, be a good scout, be prepared, see the movie. The war continues...it will never end.

Coming soon in 2008 to your city--click on "play":

'On the Formation of Homo sapiens by Intelligence' by Ben Stein.

...and the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul [Genesis 2:7, King James].

The "dust to man" theory of human origins that has been "expelled" from the lexicon of scientific thinking--how did we miss the evidence :shrug:, thank you Stein.

Advice to all teachers of biology, be a good scout, be prepared, see the movie. The war continues...it will never end.

It's all appeal to authority, strawman, and appeal to conspiracy. Much of what the argument entails is basically the Galileo Gambit. In essence, instead of supporting their own assertions, instead of showing where existing approaches are incorrect, they appeal to some ethereal censor who is preventing them from speaking.

I've got news for you. They have the floor. They've always had a method of expression, and an avenue for doing so. The reason it's not accepted is because it's wrong. If some scientist was shot down because he claimed there was no gravity, he'd be shot down due to contradictory evidence and lack of support for his claim, not some dogma about gravity itself.

It's ****ing ludicrous, people. Prove you're right. Stop appealing to the aliens at area 52 crowd that the man is keeping you down. Prove you're right, and science ALWAYS listens. This is yet another example of increasing societal issue of sheeple belief systems, and it's just this type of hand waving unsupported crap that the religiots always seem to eat up. Unfortunate, really.

Just check out the preview. It'll reaffirm what I've posted here.

cdesign proponentsists, unite! :shrug: :Glasses::crash:

The National Academy of Sciences has released a new book advocating the teaching of Evolution in science courses in US schools and not the non-science ideas of Creationism and Intelligent Design. More than 60% of Republicans do not believe in Evolution, while about 60% of Democrats and Independents do not believe in Creationism.

Science and Society

This thread is an earlier discussion we've had on this topic: >> http://hypography.com/forums/social-sciences/8214-america-doesnt-believe-evolution.html?highlight=don%27t+believe+evolution

Not very encouraging I must say. :doh:

Hmmm.....more Creationists preoccupied with being at war.

Creationism in the form of Intelligent Design has not been "expelled," it has been rejected from the get-go by the scientific community as having no basis in science. No matter how much you try and disguise Creationism with scientific lingo and technical sounding jargon, it's still just Creationism in the end.

Creationism in the form of Intelligent Design has no basis in science, like it or not.

Coming to the conclusion that the creation of life is too complicated to be produced naturally, and therefore implies a Designer>Creator>God is not science. Particularly when the observable evidence suggests otherwise.

What this so called war is really about is a war for the control of thought. And nothing throughout human history has been more interested in controlling thought than religion. The fervently religious, with their Creationism disguised as ID, are the true attackers in this war.

Primarily, scientists have invested themselves in the quest for understanding the real world, not for the sake of undermining religious thought, but for the sake of simply understanding. On the contrary, when the religious feel that information garnered through the scientific method and presented to the public is threatening to their ideals, there follows a concerted, defensive effort to undermine that particular scientific information.

Evolution happens to be one of those primary triggers because it is believed to be contrary to the biblical teachings of Genesis, and one of God's primary functions, the creation of life. The fear is that evolution will convince people to reject Genesis, in favor of a Godless world in which they don't want to live. And, insuring that a majority of people believe as they do provides reassurance that they are correct in the beliefs they hold so dear.

Out of all that is scientific, evolution has been targeted for extinction. And it has been determined by fundamentalists and evangelicals in the religious community that the way to eradicate evolution is at the point the information in support of it is presented to young, impressionable minds.....the classroom. This attack is being waged in school boards, administrations, and state legislatures by religious fanatics.

As a result, the science education community is being forced to hold their ground legally, and so far have been fairly successful in that endeavor. But the religious propagation machine has proven to be relentless in it's efforts to infiltrate the science classroom, and it is incumbent upon the scientific community to remain strong so as to insure that science education is not corrupted, and that students are able to rely on learning genuine science.

Religious education including Intelligent Design, should be relegated to the church environment, the home, and within any private institution prone to promote such teachings, and should remain free from assault by the scientific community in those arenas. This type of agreement would promote mutual respect and allow citizens to freely choose what to believe in their hearts without fear of scrutiny and condemnation.

But as it stands, a war is being waged, and science educators are the true defenders of freedom of thought.

I didn’t know Ben Stein was a creationist! :doh:

I’ve seen adds for the “Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed”, but thought they were adds for a new television game or commentary show poking fun as stupidity in schools. I was completely oblivious that the “intelligence” in the title referred to intelligent design, rather than general intelligence. The little experience I’ve had with Stein consisted of a episode or two of “Win Ben Stein’s Money”, a gameshow where he mostly made jokes about contestants’ lack of education and cleverness. I never detected any overtones of religious fundamentalism or science rejection.

I also knew nothing of Stein’s long legal and political career, believing him to be just a career comic actor. Once again, hypography has contributed to my education :)

• 3 weeks later...
In my opinion, Evolution is as much a religion as is Creation. There should be opportunities for both theories. If they won't do that, then parents who want their child to learn about Creation should be able to withdraw them from a class that teaches Evolution

This is one reason why home school is big in the bible belt.

The results are socially and academically maladjusted children.

Given a few generations of this the results will be a massive population that finds themselves disoriented and disconnected, and unable to compete. Ironic isn’t it.

While taking an astronomy class, a fellow student raised her hand during the scientific explanation of the creation of stars and stated that what the teacher said was contrary to her religious belief. His reply, which came quick and unfaltering, was that she didn't have to believe the material, just learn it.

Public schools exist as an arm of government and as such should not respect any establishment of religion. :turtle:

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.txt

...Amendment 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...

I know this is off topic, and most likely insensitive and rather harsh, but can someone PLEASE tell me why moyself, the guy who has been going from thread to thread, spreading every kinda religious woo-ha and kind of information, aka his stance on global warming being wrong, creationisnm in schools, Gods attempt to save us all ect..., why his karma status is decievingly high while mine, is, well, i dunno, bout as low as it gets.

It jus kinda aggrevates me how I come here, spouting worthy scientific opinions on a variety if topics, and then a religious woo-ha comes along and tries refuting everything and gets to nab a nice chunk of authority.

Lets think about that for a sec.

Now on to evolution (you know, the thing that lead us to become human beings, not Gods image...gag me).

Evolution is a scientific endeavor while Creationism is a lame attempt at justifying religious belief that God made us all special. In schools, religion needs to make an abrupt exit and let the real teaching go to the professionals who know what they are doing.

By the way, school is a part of government regulated education, and thereofre should NOT have religion even touching it.

Thanks, and remember, I'm not trying to sound mean...I'm jus ticked that a religious opinion is being held over a very sensible and scientific one.

While taking an astronomy class, a fellow student raised her hand during the scientific explanation of the creation of stars and stated that what the teacher said was contrary to her religious belief. His reply, which came quick and unfaltering, was that she didn't have to believe the material, just learn it.

Public schools exist as an arm of government and as such should not respect any establishment of religion. :turtle:

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.txt

I attended Sunday school and services every week and am able to hold the personally religions veiw and science as separate but equally important paradigms.

Thank you Turtle for making that distinction between the two.:shy:

I know this is off topic, and most likely insensitive and rather harsh, but can someone PLEASE tell me why moyself, the guy who has been going from thread to thread, spreading every kinda religious woo-ha and kind of information, aka his stance on global warming being wrong, creationisnm in schools, Gods attempt to save us all ect..., why his karma status is decievingly high while mine, is, well, i dunno, bout as low as it gets.

It jus kinda aggrevates me how I come here, spouting worthy scientific opinions on a variety if topics, and then a religious woo-ha comes along and tries refuting everything and gets to nab a nice chunk of authority.

Lets think about that for a sec.

Now on to evolution (you know, the thing that lead us to become human beings, not Gods image...gag me).

Evolution is a scientific endeavor while Creationism is a lame attempt at justifying religious belief that God made us all special. In schools, religion needs to make an abrupt exit and let the real teaching go to the professionals who know what they are doing.

By the way, school is a part of government regulated education, and thereofre should NOT have religion even touching it.

Thanks, and remember, I'm not trying to sound mean...I'm jus ticked that a religious opinion is being held over a very sensible and scientific one.

The D.S.

The reason you have to disagree with me is because you are not willing to take the time and think about changing opinions. How do you know my stance on global warming is wrong? How do you know you aren't the ignorant one(instead of half of your class)? How can you say that your opinions are "worthy and scientific" while mine are "lame and woo-ha"?

Not trying to be mean but you're being a little bit arrogant. Could you try to respect others' opinions?

Thanks

Actually, lemme apologize on that note.

I highly encourage different ways of thinking, because they can sometimes lead to wonder new innovations and progress throughout the world. I can tell you have far different opinions than my own concerning a variety of topics, however, I should not be angry with such things as I have been. Instead, I openly ask you to provide and back-up all claims and opinions you may hold regarding certain topics.

I am merely distressed because I thoroughly believe in Evolution and would love nothing more than to see it taught in all schools and finally, someday, shown that it is without a doubt the explaination of why humans are the way they are. I think Creationism is irrational in its sense that it cleary makes no sense, what-so-ever, not only that, but it does not have any scientific backing nor does its interpretation provide a decent background for it to lean on.

School and education are inventions for learning TRUE knowledge and FACT. Although neither Evolution nor Creationism is a defined fact yet, I can only hope that Evolution wins the battle on the forefront and is taught across the world.

Actually, lemme apologize on that note.

I highly encourage different ways of thinking, because they can sometimes lead to wonder new innovations and progress throughout the world. I can tell you have far different opinions than my own concerning a variety of topics, however, I should not be angry with such things as I have been. Instead, I openly ask you to provide and back-up all claims and opinions you may hold regarding certain topics.

I am merely distressed because I thoroughly believe in Evolution and would love nothing more than to see it taught in all schools and finally, someday, shown that it is without a doubt the explaination of why humans are the way they are. I think Creationism is irrational in its sense that it cleary makes no sense, what-so-ever, not only that, but it does not have any scientific backing nor does its interpretation provide a decent background for it to lean on.

School and education are inventions for learning TRUE knowledge and FACT. Although neither Evolution nor Creationism is a defined fact yet, I can only hope that Evolution wins the battle on the forefront and is taught across the world.

Thank you :turtle:

I offer you a challenge, dear friend, that you should try to convince me way Creationism is true knowledge and I would like to see substantial supporting evidence of any kind. In turn, I shall provide you all due information regarding what I know of Evolution, then, we shall see who rises from the dust.

Do you accept?

In my opinion, Evolution is as much a religion as is Creation. There should be opportunities for both theories. If they won't do that, then parents who want their child to learn about Creation should be able to withdraw them from a class that teaches Evolution

Science is not a democracy. It's not about having multiple views, it's about having the most accurate one. Every theory is given a chance, and it is discarded once it's proved it's lack of worth.

Creationists have been given every opportunity to support their belief scientifically, and they have failed each time.

It's like they're bragging about being an amazing soccer player, who should have every right to be on the field with the champs, but each time you put them in front of the net, they miss the goal.

Most of us have just been smart enough to recognize that they'll never hit the goal, and we've chosen instead to spens our time watching the folks who actually know how to play.