Science Forums

What Americans, USAans, yanks, beleive.

• 2 weeks later...
This Week on Compass

COMPASS: GOD'S NEXT ARMY

Sunday 5 October at 22:10

ABC

Ahead of the US Presidential election a remarkable insight into Patrick Henry College, a Christian college outside Washington DC, set up to produce students who will “lead the nation and shape the culture”. Here all aspects of the curriculum are taught from a theologically rigid 'biblical perspective'. In the past few years this college has supplied more interns to the White House than any other US College and their influence can already be felt in every corner of the US capital. With unprecedented access this film follows the mostly home-schooled evangelical Christian freshmen through their training into the world of politics where they are unashamedly “reclaiming America for Christ.”

Compass - ABC TV Religion | This Week

Just listening to a very interesting Radio show about how American politics is not only polarising but who you vote for will determine where you choose to live

The 5 min or show programme will be available to listen to from here tomorrow

Counterpoint

(Interesting talk afterward about hunting in Oz for those that think we have no guns)

Also a guy saying that this election is definitely not one where "The US divided as never before?" (29 Sept programme)

The US is not more divided than ever before. We are not that special. It is interesting that people are flocking together with people who share their outlook, and I don't think it bodes well for either conservatives or liberals. It leads to people becoming sure that their worldview is best and not challenging it - an argument often leveled at conservatives but which can be just as easily pointed back at liberals.

The US is not more divided than ever before. We are not that special. It is interesting that people are flocking together with people who share their outlook, and I don't think it bodes well for either conservatives or liberals. It leads to people becoming sure that their worldview is best and not challenging it - an argument often leveled at conservatives but which can be just as easily pointed back at liberals.

Yes it does not seem to be an especially healthy trend.

Still, it is fascinating that its is happening; "Birds of a feather, flock together."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Waiting 2-5 hours in line to vote!

No way an Australian would put up with that.

They would just walk away.

Twenty minutes is max, and they would winge about that.

Surely hiring more people processing voters would encourage greater voter turnout?

I was in and out in 10 minutes. :evil:

Most people I know had already mailed in their vote in October.

Of course, and isn't it illegal NOT to vote there?

That would never pass here of course, since vote suppression is a *major* focus of Republican political efforts here: it was the center of the Attorney General scandal that forced Alberto Gonzales to resign!

Some of these places with hours long waits have only a handful of voting machines! Its criminal! And its on purpose!

I filed the ethics complaint against Tom DeLay not because I'm a Democrat and he's a Republican or even because he drew me out of my congressional seat but because he engaged in corruption to further his plans to disenfranchise voters in Texas, :evil:

Buffy

I have never been more proud of my nation. Not because we elected Obama, though I support him, but because of the extreme display of faith in democracy. There were problems, to be sure, but the number of people who voted for the first time (including myself) or who voted for the first time in a long time, or who voted early, or who voted despite long lines or other inconveniences is something that will hopefully help to usher in a new era of trust in the government, and faith that we have a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

And I'm proud that I once again stood by my total lack of faith in our government and it's alleged electoral process and did not vote...The real reason yet another republican didn't win is that the illusion of officials "elected" by the masses would be revealed for what it is. <NOTE- Believe what you want this is my take after 8 years of Bush.

And I'm proud that I once again stood by my total lack of faith in our government and it's alleged electoral process and did not vote...The real reason yet another republican didn't win is that the illusion of officials "elected" by the masses would be revealed for what it is. <NOTE- Believe what you want this is my take after 8 years of Bush.

Yanks believe in change. Heck, we founded the country on it! :)

Whether we will see the change we want, or not, remains to be seen. We should all look at the first 90 days, from Jan. 20.

Yanks believe in change.
Uhhhh...I'm a "Yank"...And...Dang it you would engineer your post to be idiot proof....I believe we'll see continued change for the worse...and elections reach the point where we are told the results before we've even gone to the polls....We'll all be like "Hey did you vote" and they'll be like "no I though tyou did" And wee'll be like "who voted then" and they'll be like "I dunno" and Unky Scam be like "and by a landslide vote your new president is______________".....even though nobody voted.

Uhhhh...I'm a "Yank"...And...Dang it you would engineer your post to be idiot proof....I believe we'll see continued change for the worse...and elections reach the point where we are told the results before we've even gone to the polls....We'll all be like "Hey did you vote" and they'll be like "no I though tyou did" And wee'll be like "who voted then" and they'll be like "I dunno" and Unky Scam be like "and by a landslide vote your new president is______________".....even though nobody voted.

I think what you are saying is that we need a restructuring of the electoral college. :)

I don't have a clue how it works but I believe Bush is plenty proof that it doesn't work as it should. Ie. The guy moving into the Whitehouse is the guy the American people want in office. I really find it hard to believe Americans were that stupid after Regan and the first Bush....it's............I can't even think of a way to express how stupid the people of this nation would have to be to want more of it...So yes what you said Freezy.

I've often wished our elections were overseen by our allies...to ensure everything is on the "up and up''....kinda like the way they do the lottery (here in pa. at least) with the equipment checked and verified accurate by our allies before and after the polls open and close (put the inspection of local machines on local tv, that would be super sweet).

then tell those electoral college bums to pound salt:)