Science Forums

What Americans, USAans, yanks, beleive.

I assure you that that figure is inaccurate...in my entire life I've never known a person (internet not included) that didn't own or been in a house where there wasn't at least a rifle for hunting . (Not everyone I know hunts though so some of the rifles are simply belonged to a relative that passed it down to them)

No one I know, more than an acquaintance, owns a firearm with the exception of 3 people; two who are bear guards in Alaska, and one who hunts.

My neighboring city has a law which *requires* homeowners to have a gun and ammo.

Kennesaw, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Security fears if trust in the US keeps eroding | The Australian

You see no one told Australians that only 25% of you have guns and most want them locked up. (as against 5.2% (Wiki) of Australians who own guns -many are farmers who need to control feral animals etc))

(gun control)

That's what safetys are for!:thumbs_up

I've got great gun control....I hit everything I aim them at!:hyper:

Seriously though more guns equals a safer society.

Don't worry we still love you though:loved: Ya silly ausies!:(

I assure you that that figure is inaccurate...in my entire life I've never known a person (internet not included) that didn't own or been in a house where there wasn't at least a rifle for hunting . (Not everyone I know hunts though so some of the rifles are simply belonged to a relative that passed it down to them)

Likewise, I know of one person (unless you count BB guns) who owns a gun. None of my living relatives or friends own a gun (with the single exception).

Now, I can understand not believing a certain statistic and wanting a source, but declaring that you KNOW that a statistic is inaccurate because of anecdotal evidence opens up the discussion to other peoples anecdotal evidence which leads us in circles.

It is true that you KNOW that is innacurate among the people you know. But not necessarily for the entire USA population.

I own three a 50 cal rifle, a 32 special longrifle, and a sawed off 12 gauge (double barrel breech load), also a crossbow (my shoulders are too frigged up to use a conventional bow.)

Dad has a few as do all 4 of my uncles, countless cousins, and all of my friends and coworkers (or in some cases their husbands own them technicaly).

so you are saying there are MORE guns than 25%?

* Private Firearm Ownership in the U.S. as of 1993/1994:

This site might support you

Just Facts.com --> Gun Control

Households With a Gun

Adults Owning a Gun

Percentage

49% 31%

Total number 47,600,0059,100,000

Wiki says

About 59.1 million adults in the United States personally own a gun. In 1993-4, roughly 93 million adults, or 49% of the adult U.S. population, lived in households with guns.[6] There is no national gun register in the USA, so it is impossible to know exactly how many guns are in circulation or who has them, but the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) estimates there are more than 200 million firearms owned by civilians in the United States

What are you frightened of? Yourselves?

As for the death penalty many jurors now won't convict because they do not want blood on their hands.

It is not a deterrent to crime, at best, it is vengeance.

See the very many Amnesty International articles/position papers/research on the subject.

Zythryn I see your point.... I think....assure = know.

Though the figure still seems unrealisticly low.

With the exception of grocery stores and a small handfull of others you can buy a firearm in nearly any Km, Wm, Srs store you care to enter here.

It was about the same in Va., Co., Ky.

Pueblo Colorado was really bizar.... EVERYONE I saw there was packing!! Lot's of gun racks!!!

Please note I don't litterally mean everyone...but a verrrrrry massive portion of the people I saw there.

so you are saying there are MORE guns than 25%?

* Private Firearm Ownership in the U.S. as of 1993/1994:

This site might support you

Just Facts.com --> Gun Control

Households With a Gun

Adults Owning a Gun

Percentage

49% 31%

Total number 47,600,0059,100,000

Wiki says

What are you frightened of? Yourselves?

Yup!!!!!!!! Very much so!!!!!!!!! Though We're more scared of our Uncle. ..........................................(uncle sam)

Also the hour and a half wait for the police to show when I call them. The last time I called them the ambulance and volunteer fire beat them to my house and the @$$#0le that tried to rob me (right on my front F#kn porch) was long gone! (Thankfully several rounds of rock salt in his @$$!! There's a reason it lives in my truck) Incidently I live in what's considered a "SAFE" rural comunity!

You don't HAVE to use leathal ammo for a gun to save your butt.

Thanx for the stats.

[quote name=DougF;202962

If we were not so soft on crime (spare the rod spoil the child)

is vengeance to spank your kid' date=' or control?

and if you don't correct them then what happens?[/quote]

1 You are not soft on crime. You have more people in jail than anyone. Is it helping?

2 If it is vengeance to spank a child, then you are in need of some serious medication

3. How are you "correcting" them by flicking a switch and BBQig them?

How do you 'correct' those in jail?

How do they become "un-corrected" in the first place?

Everyrone might be interested in testing their own attitudes and values to various USA issues here

Pick Your Candidate

Pity we couldn't have a hypography test

(Watch the questions they flip between + and - ; read carefully)

It is worth doing, I think, even for a non-yank

And for every criminal behind bars there are dozens more that aren't.

Child mollesters, rapists, thieves, brawlers, murderers, vandals, etc.etc.

What do you guys do with them?

Personally I think we should ditch the prison system and simply ship em all to Iraq and other nations that aren't fond of the U.S... drop em off and tell them never to return lest they be shot on sight. yeah that works.

Michaelangelica

1 You are not soft on crime. You have more people in jail than anyone. Is it helping?

2 If it is vengeance to spank a child' date=' then you are in need of some serious medication

3. How are you "correcting" them by flicking a switch and BBQig them?

How do you 'correct' those in jail?

How do they become "un-corrected" in the first place?[/quote']

When 18% of violent felons on probation at the time of the crime and Nineteen percent received a probation term without incarceration.

it makes it profitable for the criminal,

our prisons are full of *repeat* afenders.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Criminal Sentencing Statistics

Summary findings

In 2004' date=' State and Federal courts convicted a combined total of nearly 1,145,000 adults of felonies -- State courts convicted an estimated 1,079,000 adults and Federal courts convicted 66,518 adults (accounting for 6% of the national total).

In 2004, 70% of all felons convicted in State courts were sentenced to a period of confinement - 40% to State prisons and 30% to local jails. Jail sentences are for short-term confinement (usually for a year or less) in a county or city facility, while prison sentences are for long-term confinement (usually for over a year) in a State facility.

State courts sentenced 28% of convicted felons to straight probation with no jail or prison time to serve.

Prison sentences in State courts averaged almost 5 years in 2004.

The average sentence to local jail was 6 months. The average probation sentence was about 3 years.

Females accounted for a quarter of felony property offenders.

Lengths of felony sentences imposed by State courts, 2004

Mean sentence length

(in months) for felons sentenced to:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Incarceration

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Most serious

conviction offense Total Prison Jail Probation

All offenses 37 mo 57 mo 6 mo 38 mo

Violent offenses 68 92 7 44

Property offenses 29 45 6 38

Drug offenses 31 51 6 38

Weapons offenses 32 47 7 34

Other offenses 24 41 6 38

Note: Means exclude life and death sentences.

Data on sentence length were reported for 89% of all cases. [/quote']

Violent Felons in Large Urban Counties

Presents data collected from a representative sample of felony cases that resulted in a felony conviction for a violent offense in 40 of the Nation's 75 largest counties. The study tracks cases for up to 1 year from the date of filing through final disposition. Defendants convicted of murder' date=' rape, robbery, assault or other violent felonies are described in terms of demographic characteristics (gender, race, Hispanic origin, age), prior arrests and convictions, criminal justice status at time of arrest, type of pretrial release or detention, type of adjudication, and sentence received.

Highlights include the following:

Thirty-six percent of violent felons had an active criminal justice status at the time of their arrest. This included 18% on probation, 12% on release pending disposition of a prior case, and 7% on parole.

A majority (56%) of violent felons had a prior conviction record. Thirty-eight percent had a prior felony conviction and 15% had a previous conviction for a violent felony.

Eight-one percent of violent felons were sentenced to incarceration with 50% going to prison and 31% to jail. Nineteen percent received a probation term without incarceration. [/quote']

When I was growing up Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

You never ever back talked any adult or you would get a backhand,

Kids today don't seem to have any respect (not all kids but quite a bit)

plans to introduce a bill this week that would make California the first state to make the spanking of children 4 years old and under a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail or a fine of up to $1' date='000.[/quote']

Proposed law against spanking toddlers in Calif. causes stir

And I don't have all of the answers,

Serial Killer Alton Coleman

By the time authorities caught up to the deadly pair on July 20' date=' 1984, they had committed at least eight murders, seven rapes, three kidnapping and 14 armed robberies.

<-->

Coleman's appeal efforts were unsuccessful and on April 25, 2002, while reciting, "The Lord is my shepherd," Coleman was executed by lethal injection. [/quote']

Serial Killers and Mass Murderers

He spent 18 years on death row. and I think that is too long.