Science Forums

My belief in Global Warming is getting shaky

engineerdude

I propose that this thread is closed and further discussion related to any topic in this thread is instigated with new threads. Many of us are interested in this subject, but it dilutes the content when the content of this thread is so diverse and inhomogeneous.

:shrug:

...we don't want one, despite the planet deciding it's going to have one anyway...

P.S. I can't be sure that the planet is all that concerned about whether we believe we're changing its mind about the onset of its next glaciation...

I'm continually confounded by these notions that ours, or any other planet for that matter, is capable of making decisions.

Who said the earth thinks or feels? I said the earth determines what happens to stuff like CFCs in the troposphere, and CO2.

<...>

You're confusing the meaning of "determine" as it applies to humans who think, with determination by systems that don't. That's ok, a lot of people misinterpret meaning.

Nobody is misinterpreting the meaning of anything. You are dissembling the fact that you described the earth anthropomorphically. It's off topic and has no consequence to the subject at hand.

~modest

I'd like to see this thread broken up into several specific topics. Possibly

"Is the Earth getting warmer?"

"Is it natural or man made?"

"Is warmer good or bad?"

"Is the change unusually fast?"

"Is the only thing bad about GW is that it's fast?"

"Will High CO2 level result in a warm Earth or an ice age?"

"Is Mars experiencing GW as well as the Earth?"

"Can we really do anything about GW?"

"Can we afford to do anything about GW?"

just a few possibilites........

I myself (possibly from a past existence as a poet and a humorist) will sometimes ascribe thought processes to inanimate objects. I do not expect to be taken literally. I expect people to be able to expand their thinking to include that figure of speech, even if they disagree with the overall point I'm making.

Does anyone understand what I mean by childish?

--lemit

p.s. By "past existence" I'm not implying I believe in reincarnation. I'm employing a figure of speech. When I say poet, I'm referring to college classes. I was never published as a poet. Any other disclaimers needed to participate in this discussion?

Do the mods just not care about managing the actual topic here, or is it simply we've grown so used to the trolls in this thread that we no longer respond to them?

Do inanimate objects have thought processes and reincarnation in a thread about human induced global climate change? Yes folks, I HAVE seen it all now. :shrug:

As I mentioned a few pages ago... this thread has become nothing more than a dumping ground for garbage, and Freezy seems to have the right idea about assisting in speeding up its death.

Yep, time for the kids to find somewhere else, now the old women have arrived.

They've had the required effect, and caused everyone to think about something else altogether. But since there is no such thing as a cause, there is no effect either.

A cause (like the warmth from the sun), is something we anthropomorphically assign to inanimate objects too.

Therefore using figurative speech, such as: "the earth may change its mind", is in the same boat; and so is objecting in a pedantic way to assigning anthropic character to inanimate objects.

This thread is now closed as the moderator staff has decided that it has fulfilled its usefulness and has unintentionally become a "catch-all" for anything AGW/climate related.

We encourage new threads related to this subject, but we also hope that the new threads will reflect current scientific evaluation of whatever aspect that is targeted, as well as maintaining a courteous and on-topic approach. :shrug: