Science Forums

Violent TV, Games Pack A Powerful Public Health Threat

ScienceDaily (Nov. 28, 2007) — Watching media violence significantly increases the risk that a viewer or video game player will behave aggressively in both the short and long term, according to a University of Michigan study published today in a special issue of the Journal of Adolescent Health.

My wife has always argued that violent TV and video games have a desensitising effect on people.

see also

Psychologists Produce First Study On Violence Desensitization From Video Games

• 1 year later...

I disagree, so much time has been spent trying to connect video game violence to real world violence the study has almost gotten a life of it's independent of any real truth. Much like drug propaganda these studies are most often a reflection of someone with an ax to grind. I have seen studies that claim the opposite and others that say the effect is neutral. So far all the studies seem to be more of an emotional release rather than real science.

Why Video Games Don’t Cause Violence

Study: Games do not unequivocally correlate to violence - Ars Technica

The Video Game Revolution: "Eight Myths About Video Games Debunked" by Henry Jenkins | PBS

Video Games do not cause Violence! Harvard Med School says so! - GeekTyrant

ScienceDaily (Nov. 28, 2007) — Watching media violence significantly increases the risk that a viewer or video game player will behave aggressively in both the short and long term, according to a University of Michigan study published today in a special issue of the Journal of Adolescent Health.

Your quote specifically said aggressive behavior, if you are not talking about violence then why would it be a public health hazard? Why is desensitization such a bad thing? What does it lead to that is bad?

BTW, Michael, why must you trash the USA so much? No we are not perfect but I don't think it's nice to consistently suggest something is wrong with the USA every time some from the USA disagrees with you, this is getting old. I don't trash your country at ever chance and I would object if someone did. Please consider the feelings of others on this forum.

Why is desensitization (sic) such a bad thing? What does it lead to that is bad?

You are kidding right?

BTW, Michael, why must you trash the USA so much? No we are not perfect but I don't think it's nice to consistently suggest something is wrong with the USA every time some from the USA disagrees with you, this is getting old. I don't trash your country at ever chance and I would object if someone did. Please consider the feelings of others on this forum.

God. yet another overzealous, over-sensitive over-patriotic yank.

Just as well you're all over there :)

desensitising is a problem. How often do you see on the news, people candidly stepping over a hurt or even dead person on the street? It's sad really. Oversaturation of violence and crime has become less of a shock factor over the years. Games, movies, or how to become the best serial killer out there, has become the norm.

As adults, we don't even notice it any more, but what about the children? What do you suppose they think? Random acts of violence as opposed to acts of kindness?

I still say if it's not violence that the video games are supposed to promote then what is the problem? Desensitization is not in it's self necessary a bad thing and as the links I provide showed the link between video games and violence is weak to say the least. So I guess if a link between video games and violence e cannot be shown then we have to come up with something else? Desensitization? That is a broad term it's definition depends almost entirely on who is defining it. "Video games are bad" is the mantra we've heard from day one, it's just another "something " to blame our societal woes on to keep from having to take responsibility ourselves.

TV is bad

Comics are bad

Scifi is bad,

sex is bad

reading is bad

dancing is bad

the list to long to quote completely but ultimately we have to take responsibility and not blame it on other things.

desensitising is a problem. How often do you see on the news, people candidly stepping over a hurt or even dead person on the street? It's sad really. Oversaturation of violence and crime has become less of a shock factor over the years. Games, movies, or how to become the best serial killer out there, has become the norm.

As adults, we don't even notice it any more, but what about the children? What do you suppose they think? Random acts of violence as opposed to acts of kindness?

I can remember being a little kid and hearing adult talk about how insensitive people in the big cities were and how you could fall down and be injured and no one would help you because they were all so used to violence. It's a BB argument. You start out with an assumption and go from there. lack of caring about others is not a new problem that just showed up with video games and it won't go away if they do.

If you read the second link provided by Michaelangelica, it is actually promoting violent video games;)

In response to that link, I find it quite interesting. I had my face stuck in a book for hours on end when i was growing up, and hence needing corrective lenses as a result;). Maybe, i should have put more time in Galaga at the local convenience store, and balanced out of nearsightedness:D

I have never seen anyone in the news or in real life step over a body, never! I've heard urban legends about such behavior from way beforer video games but I've never seen or heard of a real bonified situation whre it happened. Lots fictional TV shows seem to fixate on it but not real life.

BTW reading does not cause bad eyesight, just another urban legend!