Science Forums

(Sociology) what do you say when your wife/girlfriend says "

Michaelangelica

If you are a good actor or really think it you can say "you look great in anything"....

If you want to be sincere but gentle you can say if it looks to big: "I like you in those other pants better, you know they are my favorite" or "I don't like those pants" (so you actually say it looks too big, but without saying it) or simply "maybe a little"...

Why, where are you going?

No where in particular.No hidden HB agendas, just a bit of watercooler fun. although we could get into the psychobiology of the male and female brain. the way men and women see the world. why women rarely say what you think the are saying (EG "I'm ready to go" actually means you will be in the car ready to go in about an hour.)

It was the topic of conversation on 702 radio (Richard Glover ) this week and it seems most answers are fraught with danger.:hihi:

eg

"I like the fuller figure."

and

"There is more of you to love."

While both good, political-man-type answers they are both likely to get your head stuck in a meat cleaver.:ud:

There is a summary of some of the answers in this programme

ABC Sydney » Thank God it's Friday

* Thank God Its Friday! Friday November 23 2007 [23/11/2007]

Change the subject. Learn from the politicians and gently walk around the question. :cup:

Yes, possibly the best approach. One person on the radio suggested a sudden distraction like:-

"Look the baby's on fire HELP!" :cup:

Well, any suggestions on what is the perfect reply when your wife/girlfriend says:-

"Does my bum look too big in this?"

None of us have a clue as to why Kim Kardashian is famous for anything other than being a friend of Paris and filthy rich, but we all thank God for her:

However saying something like "well, its smaller than Kim Kardashian's" will still get you an iron skillet to the head or no sex for a week....

The correct response is to drop your jaw, widen your eyes and say "you look *amazing* in that!" :phones:

Helping clueless males since, well, a while ago, :thumbs_up

Buffy

Ya could always say:

:teeth:"Great enough as it is, just can't wait ta seeya doin' the belly dance!":teeth:

But, Buffy Dear :fluffy: that Kim Kardashian's bum isn't big at all!

In profile it isn't too flat, but I can tell from the picture she lacks a bit of curve as seen from the other direction...:phones:

Well, any suggestions on what is the perfect reply when your wife/girlfriend says:-

"Does my bum look too big in this?"

Likely translation: "Do you think I look fat?"

The truth of the matter Michael is that it really doesn't matter how you answer.

SHE HAS ALREADY MADE UP HER MIND ABOUT IT, AND SHE THINKS IT DOES. OTHERWISE, THE QUESTION WOULD HAVE NEVER COME UP.

A man's reply to that question is directly related to how sensitive he is to her self esteem concerning her weight. If she is self conscious about it, than you must walk a fine line if you are going to protect her feelings. If she is not, than the question is really about the appearance of the clothes and it is easier to be judgemental about the outfit.

But just saying, "Of course not," will probably not change her mind about it anyway so you might as well take the high road. But don't over flatter her in that moment or she'll know you're FOS.

I think the best reply is something like this:

"I don't think so. What do you think?" or "I think it looks fine but I'm guessing you don't agree.

If you're really good, "I think your bum looks great in and out of everything." But you're walking the fine line of being considered FOS with that one.

Whatever you say, just make sure your intentions are honorable.

Well Michael, see what I mean? Lots of them need help. Unfortunately, some are beyond help! :)

Mr. Reason: I'd be happy to let your wife borrow my iron skillet if her's is worn out! :evil:

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition, :phones:

Buffy

This one's soooooooooooooooo easy! (having been married for more than a decade and being quite the sensitive type)

I have yet to be asked any of the dreaded "Honey do I look" questions.

But if she ever asked....I'd give her a kiss and a hug accompanied by

"No honey...such a perfect lil bootie"

Of course if you tell her she's sexy EVERY DAY (and really mean it) she won't ask you to begin with! (Wifey is pretty convinced that my eyes are ALOT worse than I admit too)

Oh yah one other thing NEVER LIE to her and never get caught in a lie by her!

Also note "Yes dear" while suitable for most occasions will likely get ya kicked in the lads for this one!!!!!!!!

Well Michael, see what I mean? Lots of them need help. Unfortunately, some are beyond help! :)

Mr. Reason: I'd be happy to let your wife borrow my iron skillet if her's is worn out! :evil:

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition, :evil:

Buffy

What!? You gotta be kidding Buffy. You're gonna give me the skillet treatment for that advise? :doh:

You don't really think the average intelligent woman is likely to fall for the old "drop your jaw, widen your eyes and say "you look *amazing* in that!" trick, do you? You don't think that's a bit overcooked? Women can't see through that while they're trying to figure out what's wrong with the way their outfit fits? They probably figure that we're not only FOS but we obviously have bad judgement about clothes as well. Don't you see the no-win situation this puts us in. Why do you think INow suggested to just change the subject?

Maybe what I don't get is that this situation isn't really about clothes at all. Maybe it's a way in which someone is soliciting a compliment.

Well, you're going to have to elaborate. You can't just say I don't get it, crack me over the head with a skillet and walk off. If I'm in error, I'll be glad to admit it, but you can't just leave me hangin'.

How are we ever going to get this trick question right? :phones::cup:

Maybe what I don't get is that this situation isn't really about clothes at all. Maybe it's a way in which someone is soliciting a compliment.
Ya think? :)
...but you can't just leave me hangin'.

Woman's prerogative! :cup:

How are we ever going to get this trick question right?
I honestly don't know! Men are soooooooooooooooo confusing! :evil:

The trouble with some women is they get all excited about nothing --- and then they marry him, :phones:

Buffy

I'm telling you, turn it into a joke in a complimentary way and you're not only off the leash, your home free. Another example of how to do this is to say "Well, let me see..." and get really close (with playfulness, like a tiger...rawr). By that time she should either be laughing/giggling or beating you away with her words/high heels. Play it by ear from there. :D

But I'm with you Reason. Your reply sounded great to me but what do I know, I'm just a dude. :) ;)

To Buffy's reply of "ya think?", referring to Reason's post above, I'll propose that it's more about attention than compliments. My girlfriend will frequently ask me questions such as the aforementioned when I'm immersed in a personal activity such as finding a good news morsel for the Hypo community. I've learned that it's best to stop what I am doing and interact with her. After a few moments of careful attention, I'm awarded with about 15 minutes of solitude (or more, depending on how many outfits are involved). [please note that this is a {reality-based} joke, I immerse myself in her presence when she is near; she is my queen and when I put her on a pedestal, I become not a servant, but a king]

So in summary:

Make a funny -> Give attention -> Repeat

:)