Science Forums

Evolution

Noah

Do you believe in the evolution theory?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you believe in the evolution theory?

I guess my question to the knowledgeable members of this forum is: "How can you explain the development of sensations such as pleasure or pain in evolution and what are the mechanisms that associate them to the survival of a species?"

Welcome!

This is better asked in a new thread, though, as you are jumping into another discussion here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

One reson why i think a lot of people are creationists are because usually your parents decide what believe (whether you have noticed or not) so you are stubborn to change, skepitical by nature, or you can't except life was made without a purpose. However, I respect antievolutionists because they actual try to disprove with science and just say everthing is a scam.

[

-It does not appear that evolutionary changes have taken place in humans for some time - Yes humans have undergone some physical changes over the last 5000 years but I would not consider those changes to be evolutionary. For example humans are taller today than in the past but that can be explained by diet.

Yes some changes has to do with a different way of life. However, in longer timespans you will see differences that has to do with evolution.

How do you define evolution? My understanding is that evolution invovles the addition of new genes to someone's genetic makeup.

Adaption and change by natural selection, through time.

By my questions above, I do not mean to imply that some for of evolution did not take place. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that it did.

Well, we know that life has changed through time, so some sort of change did happen. Still happens, btw. So there's no escape from evolution, I'm afraid. A simple example: We're different from our parents.

But I don't think it is the only answer. Evolution falls short in explaining human intelligence and, more importantly, human behavior.

Why is intelligence special in this regard?

As your comment about man's threat to the environment suggests, human behavior is far from exemplary. Humans can do awful things to each other (and sometimes very good things). Evolution does not seem to explain this.

What do you mean?

But I find no basis (and you do not offer one either) to argue that human intelligence is any better (or more important) than, say, the ability of whales to communicate halfway around the world by song.

Tormod

Come on' you will never see a whale run up on land to save a human....

I say no to evolution but only because when/if the theory is proven incorrect I can say, see I told you, hehe.. Wait, I voted no, but I see a different type of evolution going on than the one Darwin talked about.

The theory of evolution has been proven many times over so there is no need to wait for a disproval it to happen. But like any other scientific theory it has aspects which we have not yet discovered, and it cannot explain everything. But if you want to keep on fighting against it, be my guest. Just do it in a more intelligent manner than your whale comment above.

Just do it in a more intelligent manner than your whale comment above.
Well, someone asked what makes our intelligence better than that of a whales. Is not our intelligence greater than that of any other animal? This is probably another thread, but I am just wondering, and if not, why?

Come on' you will never see a whale run up on land to save a human....
Actually, whales used to be land animals... perhaps it was the other way around and they somehow saw us coming and took off for the sea.
Well, someone asked what makes our intelligence better than that of a whales. Is not our intelligence greater than that of any other animal? This is probably another thread, but I am just wondering, and if not, why?
Too much of a good thing can actually be bad. What kind of whale?

• 3 weeks later...