Science Forums

Turtle Vibes

Turtle

sick :hal_skeleton:

I'm going to remix this in a bit and post it later.

Just for kicks :hal_skeleton:

I think it is much more difficult to minimalize audible vibrations rather than the higher light ones we see.

Hoi Polloi!

We wanna hear deer bouncing off our bones,

and we don't clutter in our space, ok? (Well, I do. Do you?)

sick :hal_skeleton:

I'm going to remix this in a bit and post it later.

Just for kicks :tearhair:

I think it is much more difficult to minimalize audible vibrations rather than the higher light ones we see.

Hoi Polloi!

We wanna hear deer bouncing off our bones,

and we don't clutter in our space, ok? (Well, I do. Do you?)

:painting: I have a lot to learn with the editing, particularly the soundtrack. I pretty much stuffed 3 disparate tracks into the same space. I'll go see if I can strip the sound and save them as audio files.

Credit where credit is due, so a tip o' the glass to Broken Halo who contributed 1 IPA per track, :tearhair: , and the orbiting musicians who goaded me into making this noise. :hal_skeleton:

Addendum: drum audio stripped from video & attached as audiostrip. Much easier to hear how bad it is. :tearhair: :painting:>>

rattle attached as audiostrip2.mpeg (my rattle is my mathemagical box;))

sick flute attached as audiostrip3 :hal_skeleton:

Mixing is indeed a very fine mix of art and science.

It sounds to me that you have some pretty good recordings, but the room was not very friendly in the sense of ambient reflections (especially with the djembe). If you use an EQ and pull down the midrange frequencies for the drums, that should allow the flute to become more prominent in the mix. Also, it a good idea to filter out the low frequencies of the rattle as they are not essential to the sound and can induce unwanted wave reactions with other low freq material (ie djembe and low flute tones).

As far as listening enjoyment, it was fun to listen to the first time. I can't see myself coming back to this over and over though. Nonetheless, I applaud your efforts and hope that you continue audio work as I think you'll find it a great extension to your generalist nature. :hal_skeleton:

I love the sound of the rattle!

Mixing is indeed a very fine mix of art and science.

It sounds to me that you have some pretty good recordings, but the room was not very friendly in the sense of ambient reflections (especially with the djembe). If you use an EQ and pull down the midrange frequencies for the drums, that should allow the flute to become more prominent in the mix. Also, it a good idea to filter out the low frequencies of the rattle as they are not essential to the sound and can induce unwanted wave reactions with other low freq material (ie djembe and low flute tones).

As far as listening enjoyment, it was fun to listen to the first time. I can't see myself coming back to this over and over though. Nonetheless, I applaud your efforts and hope that you continue audio work as I think you'll find it a great extension to your generalist nature. :tearhair:

I love the sound of the rattle!

I knew I should not have quit the day-job that I do not have! :tearhair: I mirror your feelings, and don't see myself coming back to this piece very often either. :hal_skeleton: The applause light is now on; clap 'em if ya got 'em. :hal_skeleton: :hal_skeleton:

Oh man!

I took the original youtube sound and messed with it.

If I would have seen this thread before hand I could have remixed it way better.

oh well,

it sounds pretty trippy anyway

note: I didn't add anything to it. Just edited and added FX.

oh man! :evil:

couple things. no art on the walls right now so it echoes like a monk's cell. :hihi: I miked all the instruments to a little PA; I'm sure that added to the aggression. That and the holes in the Djembe head I got taped with duct-tape. :doh: :eek2:

sound check; check it...check it good. :evil:

YouTube - Tortuga Jorge's Mystical Khua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Sq8rBnE_0

• 3 months later...
Pretty cool!:)

Kinda reminds me of some native american recordings I've got floating round here somewhere.

You'd probably love (or hate seeing as you're Turtle:hihi:) dads rattle (its made from turtle shells, sinew, and bone)

The Universe works in strange ways Friend. While not here today, I was cutting a rhythm from that very source. More of serendipity's sweet lips no doubt. ;) Still some work to do shrinking my file. ;)

I would love to hear any information or recording of native uses of this 'thingy'. Here is the rest of the story that I know of it to date. http://hypography.com/forums/physics-mathematics/1228-spinning-button-string.html?highlight=spinning+button

No worries about the rattle from me. Just as well honored in death as not. ;)

Wow, I missed that video post but thanks to DD, it has come to my attention. :eek_big:

I'll see what I can do with it. :eek_big:

(of course, waiting to hear the new Turt-inspired meta-incarnation)

I'm working on it, but it's hit a bit o' the proverbial bump in the road. :eek_big: This isn't my computer and I got in hot water last night for clogging it up with such big and so many files. :) ;):xx:

Anyway, I don't think I actually deleted the new vibe, rather just misplaced it. :eek_big: Let loose the hounds! :eek_big: :eek_big: :eek_big: :eek_big:

Oh cool! That would make a killer backbeat for a hard-edged dance song. I might have to use that in one of my upcoming songs if you don't mind. :)

Did you perchance mean to post in a different thread, or are you just hoping he happens by this one? ;)

:D I didn't want to double post, and I presumed he reads me. :hihi:

I don't mind the use. I put it up as a video because the .wav clip was ~ 2 megs. :eek: Any suggestions on how I make it smaller? How the hell do you have it run as a back-beat on a 3 or 4 minute song without an obsceneley big file!!??? How would you like your back-beat cooked Sir? :confused: :note:

I had to use 3 different programs as it was to mix this. :hyper: ..:turtle:

I don't mind the use. I put it up as a video because the .wav clip was ~ 2 megs. :eek: Any suggestions on how I make it smaller?

There are a variety of ways to shrink it. Lossless audio formats such as Monkey Audio and FLAC will shrink the wav file without compromising sound quality. The formats are listed above are pretty standard these days and can be played in the latest version of winamp, and I imagine lots of other players by this time. Of course, it's no longer a wav file so you have to have a compatible player or the free decompression utility to make use of it. Since the audio quality on this recording is already compromised by the camcorder mic, I would recommend using on of the freely available lossless compression utilities.

How the hell do you have it run as a back-beat on a 3 or 4 minute song without an obsceneley big file!!???

:hihi:

Well, every minute of raw audio in wav form is about 10MB. For a three minute song with 12 tracks, that equals about 360MB (not including alternate takes and such and excluding little clips here and there). :) For working on several projects, you have to have large drives for working with music. ;)

But to specifically answer your question, I would cut the file you send into a short loop, say 3 seconds, and then I would loop it in my audio program. That way, as long as I don't render the track, the file size stays very small because the program just keeps re-reading the info from memory (or very quick disk access). In other words, it's only using one version of the wav file and making virtual copies to expand the duration. Did that make sense?

How would you like your back-beat cooked Sir? :confused: :note:

However the chef prepares it. :D

I had to use 3 different programs as it was to mix this. :hyper: ..:turtle:

Which ones?

However the chef prepares it. :hyper:

Which ones?

Creative Wave Studio; came with computer

Windows Sound Recorder: came with computer

Adobe Premier Elements 3.0: roomy got for video editing

I cut the wav (:turtle:) down small enough for the Gallery. Prepare to receive transmission infusion>>> ...........___ _ _.......__ :confused:

http://hypography.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2159&catid=newimages