Science Forums

Egyptian Rations

Queso

beer sounds good right about now... jotting upstairs to grab one :)

btw anyone not with me when i say that pyramids were not built using slaves?

I think Moses gave the Pyramid builders a bum rap and his control of the media was a lot better.:)

radishes

A strage one as we hardly see them these days ( at least the little red ones)

But radish just means "root' so god knows what plant it was botanically.

Has anyone any clues?

Orientals Eat Giant Radishes

Ancient Egypt: Fruit and vegetables

Radishes R Us

During the pyramid building, workers were given enormous amounts of radish, garlic and onion. Herodotus has mentioned in his second book, Euterpe:

“There is an inscription in Egyptian characters on the pyramid which records the quantity of radishes, onions, and garlic consumed by the laborers who constructed it; and I perfectly well remember that the interpreter who read the writing to me said that the money expended in this way was 1600 talents of silver”.

Only during the 20th century AD when an antibiotic preparation (Raphanin) has been extracted from radish, and Allicin and Allistatin from garlic and onion. A wise procedure undertaken in such an overcrowded camp.

Medicine in Ancient Egypt 3

i dont know if there is egyptian word for radish specifically, i will look, i would think it would be a more generic word for a root, that may mean carrot, or something like that, something that grows well in the sand, or sandy soil, is easy to grow and requires fairly little care, maybe radish, maybe other domesticated wild edibles, i'll look.