Science Forums

Theory on Time

FuzzyDice

I was thinking about some movie I saw in math class where time stopped when a kid pushed a button on a watch. Well, if time stopped, everything around would stop also. Air molecules would be stranded in place and even if Somehow YOU were able to move, you wouldn't be able to. Your brain would also be stranded, unable to think because the nerveous electricity would be frozen. Time could have stopped six or seven times while you were reading this post and no one would know. If time travel theoretically, is possible, How would it work?

I was thinking about some movie I saw in math class where time stopped when a kid pushed a button on a watch. Well, if time stopped, everything around would stop also. Air molecules would be stranded in place and even if Somehow YOU were able to move, you wouldn't be able to. Your brain would also be stranded, unable to think because the nerveous electricity would be frozen. Time could have stopped six or seven times while you were reading this post and no one would know. If time travel theoretically, is possible, How would it work?

Kip Thorne from Caltech has speculated that a Wormhole concept could be created, he

thought of some solutions where one could theoretically travel back in time ? He was

using a configuration of a spinning Black Hole. Anyway Kip has speculated that on could

theoretically travel through to the future not the past. Look up some of his books or do a

google search on Kip Thorne and Black Holes or Wormholes or all the above. :hihi:

Maddog

Kip Thorne from Caltech has speculated that a Wormhole concept could be created, he

thought of some solutions where one could theoretically travel back in time ? He was

using a configuration of a spinning Black Hole. Anyway Kip has speculated that on could

theoretically travel through to the future not the past. Look up some of his books or do a

google search on Kip Thorne and Black Holes or Wormholes or all the above. :hihi:

Maddog

i read somewhere that someone had determined we could travel to the future by moving a certain distance, at a certain speed, bringing the traveler to the conclusion that few years had passed for them, while for the rest of the world it had been several. that makes no sense to me.

i read somewhere that someone had determined we could travel to the future by moving a certain distance, at a certain speed, bringing the traveler to the conclusion that few years had passed for them, while for the rest of the world it had been several. that makes no sense to me.

That is essence is SR (Special Relativity).

Maddog

I was thinking about some movie I saw in math class where time stopped when a kid pushed a button on a watch.... If time travel theoretically, is possible, How would it work?

The problem here is that the first part of your post does not relate to the last part...or am I missing the point? How is time travel related to frozen time?

Like maddog says, it's special relativity in a nutshell. The faster you move through space the slower your clock will tick. Well, to you time will flow perfectly normal but to anyone observing you, your clock will seem to slow down to a halt. The closer you get to the speed of light (ie, relativistic speeds) the bigger the difference between the outside world and yours.

It may seem to make no sense but this is what Einstein realized when he first looked at the Maxwell equations and found out that the speed of light was finite. That toppled Newton's ideas that forces acted instantaneously, and brought the aspect of relativity into science. Time was no longer fixed, but relative to the speed of motion.

Not that he flunked Math,just that he had a really hard time in elementary school math. His teacher would get like, really mad at him becasue he always had the right answers, so she would sne dhim to the corner with problems like, add up all the digits from 1 to 1000. And he would come back in like 2 mins. and say he had the answer because he found a shortcut. LOL Smart guy...made alot of people mad...some people thought he was retarded i thought.

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Einstein.html

that might help.

I agree. But at the same time, i always question time. I pesonaly feel that at times it just measurment, not a flwoing thing that everyone makes it out to be. To be able to travel forward would seem impossible. Because choices are always being made, so to agree with the idea of time travel, you must agree with the idea of fate.

OP5

To be able to travel forward would seem impossible.

You do it all the time, without effort. :hihi:

Because choices are always being made, so to agree with the idea of time travel, you must agree with the idea of fate.

Come on, OP. Time travel is a perfectly good topic without having to drag fate into it.

I was refering to fate as a predetermind outcome.

I don't believe in that. We make choices and things change, but if you belive in fate, then they change for that fate only. So thats why i feel time travel can't happen.

my point is the same as tormod's, i think. pre-determined fate has nothing to do with this theory being true. if time travel into the future is possible, then your only fate would be your destination... unless your ship crashes. =P

Not that he flunked Math,just that he had a really hard time in elementary school math. His teacher would get like, really mad at him becasue he always had the right answers, so she would sne dhim to the corner with problems like, add up all the digits from 1 to 1000. And he would come back in like 2 mins. and say he had the answer because he found a shortcut. LOL Smart guy...made alot of people mad...some people thought he was retarded i thought.

Good link. I had heard he also flunked the original introductory Algebra class at the

Leopold Gymnasium (kinda' like our 6-8th grades). He had told his uncle that he just

didn't understand algebra. It was his uncle who taught it was like a puzzle, you just

solve for what you don't know. It was then that he turned his grades around. Though

as your website mentioned, he still would fail sometimes. It was speculated after his

death that he was dyslexic and others say he was ADD. It is funny how people want to

put this stuff on you after you're dead.

BTW, the child prodigy who figured out shortcuts like the sum of 1 to 1000 was Gauss.

He was coming up with that in what would be the german equivalent of 2nd grade. Yes,

Gauss made a prodiguous contributions to Astronomy, Physics and Mathematics. But that

is another story. ;)

Maddog