Science Forums

Priests/believers in the army?

sanctus

My stereotyping was facetious, noting the stereo-typing you were drawing on for gen y.

What generation is 'gen y', exactly? And will that make MY children 'gen z'?

And can you come up with a situation that would NOT have more variables than the one you are trying to determine? When dealing with people, there are ALWAYS more variables in an experiment than waht is being tested. It's inevitable.

I think that zad is in a decent position to coment on the work ethics and problem solving abilities of BOTH generations, as he can observe how the younger people of TODAY are as compared to how younger people were when he was that age. Is it scientific? Probably not. But it is still allowable for observation, comparison, and comment.

I'm sure people who respect and follow authority would have been fully appreciated by Hitler and Stalin. Wasn't Adolf Eichmann "just following orders?" And trying to find an "equitable solution for all" was less than useful for their victims.

The conscious effort to abstain and decry violence and to seek other solutions I think is a far better exercise to establish problem solving skills than just allowing archaic biology to kick in. Yes, students need examples and arbitrators. Many schools also employ a peer mentor program that allow students to resolve issues amongst themselves.

By default I think if you opposed violence, blind obedience to orders to kill are inherrently going to be ignored. Also, if there are victims, it can hardly be said that it was a "equitable solution for all". Niether Hitler nor Stalin were in the least bit interested in using any non-violent means to obtain their end. Tying to my pooint of view is like saying that Gandhi and Osama bin Ladin are on the same page because they oppose foreign rule.

What generation is 'gen y', exactly? And will that make MY children 'gen z'?

It is loosly placed on the twenty-somethings of today. A distinction is usually made in refernce to the use of high-tech. Most people in their thirties used computers as they became more common, but for the gen y'ers they pretty mjuch grew up with this system already well established.

Most people in their thirties

would be considered 'gen x', correct? is there a distinction between older thirties and younger thirties (like between Tormod and me LOL)?

I'm sorry, it's just that the whole 'gen x/y/z' thing kinda passed me by while i was serving my 10 years in the navy, and another 5 at home with my children...

It is loosly placed on the twenty-somethings of today.

And is it in reference to the sound they make when they WHINE so much??? "WHY do I have to work?" "WHY won't you pay me as much as that older person that's worked here for 15 years?" "WHY do I have to get good grades to get into a decent college?" etc......

(sorry, that's not to say that ALL 20somethings are big ol' whiners, but hey...if the shoe fits, buy the other one, right?)