Science Forums

Illegal Narcotics

vijun

I believe that all illegal narcotics should be legalized in every country around the world. People should have the right to do whatever they want to do with their bodies as long as they are not causing any involuntary physical harm to someone else in the process. For example, imagine that two men are in a car. The passenger takes out a cigarette but before lights it he proceeds to ask the driver “do you mind if I smoke?” If the driver responds by saying no I don’t mind he is consenting to inhale second hand smoke.

Illegal narcotics will always be a problem in this world until people are willing to do something about the lack of pleasure and wellbeing that most people are living with. How many people reading this post can honestly say that they experience more pleasure than pain in their lives on regular basis? The best thing that most people can hope for is a balance of pleasure and pain. Unfortunately the majority of people on this planet experience much more physical and psychological pain than pleasure. In my opinion human culture and genetic flaws are the main reasons for these unfortunate circumstances. Our bodies are programmed to seek out pleasure but they are also programmed to engage in self destructive behavior. I am in desperate need for some kind of pleasure in my life so I can tell you a lot about self destructive behavior.

So what is the solution to the problem? Well I don’t have all of the answers but I believe that I have some of them. The most important reason why narcotics should be legalized is the fact that it will put a big dent in organized crime. I also feel sorry for the thousands of people around the world that are in prison for being in possession of small amounts of an illegal substance. I believe that it should still be illegal to sell narcotics, but it should not be illegal to possess small amounts. Perhaps the best thing that politicians can do is set up a system where people can purchase a product from their government. All of the profits could be used to set up a federal medicare system in countries like the U.S.A.

The only illegal substance that I have tried is marijuana. I would like to try other things like cocaine and heroin but I have no way of knowing that I am getting a safe product from the streets and I can’t find accurate information about these drugs. I believe that these drugs would be safe for most people to use if they used them in moderation. Show me a heroin addict that only injects themselves with heroin once a month. These drugs should be used the same way people use prescriptions medication. I would like to know what is a safe amount to use without becoming addicted to it?

Glad to see you back Vijun. :rant:

When I was stuck in a rut in my life using Marijuana, I too also believed that most if not all narcotics should be legalized. What would be the harm of having such substances legalized? The first thing that would definatly happen is th government would place taxes on the substance and distrobution much like cigarettes. A legal age would be enforced upon the drugs as well. However the one thing that makes this almost impossible is the fact that the government does not want these illicit substances to reach the hands of children and to some degree that of adults. In my personal opinion these drugs are simple escapes, masks to hide the pain as your mentioned. I saw a documentary on the discovery channel a few weeks back that describe what most drugs do to a person (It showed Marijuana, Cocaine, Heroin, Cigarettes and Alcohol). The major effects are that of what happens to your brain whilst on these substances, and the long term effects. They change the patterns of your brain (sorry for the lack of scientific notions), which cause abnormal behavioral habits and the way your body works.

The most important reason why narcotics should be legalized is the fact that it will put a big dent in organized crime. I also feel sorry for the thousands of people around the world that are in prison for being in possession of small amounts of an illegal substance.

A very good argument. Organized crime would surley suffer in this aspect of their organization but would soon enough find ways to make up for it. (They sometimes smuggle cigarettes so why not do the same with Heroin and Cocaine and Marijuana?) I also agree to your stance on the people who possess small amounts of the substance who have been jailed. They do not for the most part deserve close to life long sentences for the possession of certain illicit substances. (I have strong moral feelings against Heroin, Crystal Meth and Cocaine. These should be criminalized, but weed they blow out of perportion.) A good movie to watch which you can find in your local video outlet or once was on a website called pot tv. This movie discusses the war on marijuana and the alarming things that occured from the early twentieth century up the twenty first century.

I would like to try other things like cocaine and heroin but I have no way of knowing that I am getting a safe product from the streets and I can’t find accurate information about these drugs. I believe that these drugs would be safe for most people to use if they used them in moderation. Show me a heroin addict that only injects themselves with heroin once a month. These drugs should be used the same way people use prescriptions medication. I would like to know what is a safe amount to use without becoming addicted to it?

I... regretably have information about what is assumed to be clean cocaine mainly because I have friends who use it. Sorry to be a tease but I would not feel comfortable giving you such information and sure enough some of the Admin and/or Mods would give me a really hard slap on the wrist and the deletion of this post. Besides, earlier you mentioned that you had money troubles and I have seen what this stuff can do to a person financialy. They even told me (after my constant nagging and protests against them using it), that they would use cocaine in moderation and not get too carried away with it. $3500 and a couple months later their they were, not being able to go on for more then a couple hours with the rush of sniffing dust into their lungs. (Once or twice my friends tried to get me to try some of it, GAHDs step brother is one. All I ever did with the drug is test to see what the stuff tastes like by spreading a small amount on my upper gums. Numbness and a bitter taste.) A safe amount, my personal opinion would be none and I'm sure most rehab doctors would concur.

Sorry for again arguing against what you wrote here. Try to stay clean guy, adversity is a part of our lives and best to charge right into it with a clear head. Hope to hear back from ya. :hihi:

legalize it! that's what i'm screamin'. don't people know that when you tell a kid not ta do something, they want to more? you know the legal drinking age in germany is way lower than here, and they have fewer drunk driving accidents and things of the like? imagine that... look at the crime in amsterdam @#!$ i'm gonna have to lock arms with vijun on this one, folks.

vijun,

I can't tell you how glad I am to see you back again!

Killean,

thanks for your post. I continue to be amazed with you, and by you. Again, you have shared a part of yourself that I am guessing not too many others see. Thanks for that. I am sure that others are benefitting from your information as well.

you know, when amsterdam legalized marijuana (and i dont know what else they have legalized over there) their crime rate actually went down a significant ammount. interesting...

But the problem still exists. The Dutch have not raised one dollar in tax revenue from drug sales, and drug violators account for 50 percent of the Dutch prison population, a higher proportion than in the United States.60 The Netherlands is the most crime-prone nation in Europe and most drug addicts live on state welfare payments and by committing crimes.61 Nationwide, the number of reported crimes increased to 1.3 million in 1992 from. 812,000 in 1981.62 Faced with public disgust at home over soaring drug related crime and pressure from other European Community countries to strengthen drug laws, Dutch authorities are implementing an aggressive program to reduce drug-linked crimes and disturbances and show new teeth in combatting illegal drug sales.63 Eberhard van der Laan, leader Of the Social Democrats in the Amsterdam City Council says, "People are absolutely fed up with all the troubles caused by drug addicts - car windows broken, noise, whole streets almost given up to the drug problem."64 Legalization advocates claim that marijuana use in Netherlands has not increased since the laws were liberalized, but the number of Amsterdam drug cafes rose from 30 to over 300 in one decade. In-depth, weekly online report on the drug war and reform efforts. A publication of DRCNet, Drug War Chronicle

Crime related to drug trafficing would drop, other crimes might or might not drop. Hard to tell what would happen in North America since our cultures are different (only slightly different I am guessing).

don't people know that when you tell a kid not ta do something, they want to more?

Yup! I have first hand experience with that. Before I related said experience I shall reply to your statment. Kids will get their hands on the stuff regardless of whether or not they have any negative feedback about these substances. Peer pressure. If you legalize cocaine, heroin, crack, PCP, EMDA, Shrooms, Marijuana, Pyote, Crystal Meth. . . . then these substances will be reaching younger children through peer pressure or experimentation. Thus it will lead to early parental negative feedback/media negative feedback, which will in turn make the children want to rebel against their parents and do it. This spiral does eventualy end, my guess is around 8-10 years of age when a child is still dependant on their parents (mind you the age I have said and the spiral effect is only conjecture).

As for myself and a slight glimpse into how I am doing my guesswork. I have been smoking cigarettes for roughly 8 years now (started when I was 11). I started due to peer pressure from one of my sisters older friends who I hung around. Up until that moment when I thought they were so cool, I had been 100% against cigarettes, managing to drive my mother insane with propaganda I saw on TV to get her to stop. Marijuana was by choice an experiment, a choice that I regret but had to be made. I suppose I was lucky that cocaine never entered my life until I was 17. By that age I had read up many times about what cocaine and other drugs do to your body and mind and wallet. The big question now is, if all those other drugs had been available to those of a progressivly younger age group, would I have started using them too?

legalize it! that's what i'm screamin'. don't people know that when you tell a kid not ta do something, they want to more?

Is your point that making people do drugs less is a good thing, and therefore we should legalize drug use for reverse psychology reasons? If so, do you suggest we legalize murder and child abuse too?

you know the legal drinking age in germany is way lower than here, and they have fewer drunk driving accidents and things of the like?

Flawed logic. Germany has many many many many many many many millions fewer drivers than the US does, so of course we'd expect them to have fewer drunk driving accidents than the US. You have not shown any reason to believe that Germany's having fewer drunk driving accidents is a result of their having lower minimum age for drinking.

Personally, I think it should go something like this:

The government gives out free drugs at safe injection/sniffing/smoking sites.

Now, let me explain why this may work.

1- Safe injection sites take the fun out of partying etc. Nobody goes to a safe injection site for a party.

2- The drugs are free, hence nobody is going to BUY drugs for a party, (they might, but it would be a very rare and unusual occurance).

3- The government can finance it because they no longer spend any money at all on the war on drugs

4- Nobody is going to smuggle drugs in to sell, as people can get the drugs for free. They will not buy the drugs.

5- Since the drugs are free, addicts don't need to commit crimes to fund their habits. All drug related crime in my area is done by addicts who need money to fund their habits.

6- The drugs will be extremely pure, hence much less dangerous. Alot of impurities are found in your average street drug, mainly because by diluting it or not purifying it, you get more volume of the stuff to sell, hence more money.

As for getting the drugs in a very pure form, make them yourself. The chemistry is (fairly) simple for meth, a little more complex for cocaine and pretty deep for heroin (I think), but there isn't any reason you couldn't do it if you where determined enough or had a few hundred dollars for the lab equipment needed. Then just do alot of washing with solvents etc, and take steps in the synthesis to prevent a buildup of impurities.

Alot of work though, probably easier to buy them and purify them then.

Personally, I think it should go something like this:

The government gives out free drugs at safe injection/sniffing/smoking sites.

Now, let me explain why this may work.

1- Safe injection sites take the fun out of partying etc. Nobody goes to a safe injection site for a party.

2- The drugs are free, hence nobody is going to BUY drugs for a party, (they might, but it would be a very rare and unusual occurance).

3- The government can finance it because they no longer spend any money at all on the war on drugs

4- Nobody is going to smuggle drugs in to sell, as people can get the drugs for free. They will not buy the drugs.

5- Since the drugs are free, addicts don't need to commit crimes to fund their habits. All drug related crime in my area is done by addicts who need money to fund their habits.

6- The drugs will be extremely pure, hence much less dangerous. Alot of impurities are found in your average street drug, mainly because by diluting it or not purifying it, you get more volume of the stuff to sell, hence more money.

I have a similar good idea that goes right along with that kind of logic.

The government could also setup safe child-abuse sites. A government agency could grab orphans and homeless and terminally ill children and bring them to sites where adults who have psychological problems with abusing children could beat the children senseless (for free, of course). This would have many benefits. The government could keep better track of who is a child abuser, researchers could study the actions of the abusers first hand, parental abuse of children would decrease - leading to a lowering a crime - money saved in the war against child abuse could be used to fund the project, the formerly useless children of society would now be serving a useful purpose, and so on. Gee, what a fantastic idea.

Sure, let's turn our goverments into drug and child dealers. Nothing wrong with any of that, is there?

Gee, or perhaps a better idea is to try to help cure the actual underlying problems, instead of just giving in and actually helping those who have problems continue in their ways, more easily.