Science Forums

Spinning Button On A String

Turtle

___I so thought I could post the movie! You only know the small part of it 'till you see it move. Winds were gusting to 40+ MPH & Temp at 26 Degrees Fahrenheit. Racoon & I spent about two hours overall preparing & exercising the disk. We tried several variations as we learned the demands of such a large Khua.

___The Oak tree enjoyed our visit, & is after all very happy I freed it & its offspring from the deadly ivy. We went hunting power with good intent & sixfold gained. The Khua is happy; the Tree is happy; the Earth is happy; Racoon & Turtle made things happy today.

___Oh yeah, the science; as if this isn't:lol: . I imagine the disk weighs 4 or so pounds, & we pulled together with all our weight to accelerate the disk; certainly several hundred pounds of force. Physics question? For the described experiment, what is the optimum length of rope in order to achieve the maximum rotational velocity for this particular disk?:cup:

In response to Turtles response, to see how the Khua would respond, it went quite well overall. I do beg to differ on the large Khua's weight, as I could really feel the Ca++ ions bonding to the troponin (and subsequent release of H+'s):confused:

I would guesstimate the poundage around 6 or 8. perhaps thats a miscalculation on my part due to the shape.

Its like carrying a surfboard.

The conditions were ideal. The moon was/is in its most beautiful phase. :cup:

The trees are in deed indebted to Turtles efforts to liberate them from those noxious ivy and briars; as we are indeed indebted to the trees for their service of gaseous exchange.

This was a trial run and proved to be quite promising. More research, trials, and experimentation should be conducted. :confused:

In addition to the Khua, Turtle so graciously identified the native plant "Snow Berry" for which I could have mistaken for something merely in our way.

With some modifications to improve the efficiency of our efforts, I am exited about the potential.

It should be noted that Turtle has obviously spent a great deal of brainpower & manpower into creating what could perhaps be the largest spinning Khua in existence!!!

• 3 weeks later...
In response to Turtles response, to see how the Khua would respond, it went quite well overall. I do beg to differ on the large Khua's weight, as I could really feel the Ca++ ions bonding to the troponin (and subsequent release of H+'s):)

I would guesstimate the poundage around 6 or 8. perhaps thats a miscalculation on my part due to the shape.

___Many thanks to Racoon for his help; this large of a disk is definitely a 2 person job.

___Now my video >> YouTube - giant khua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nuKH3JPR0

___Best Giant Spinning Khua Regards,

Turtle

• 1 month later...
___News Flash! Turtle just had a gnarly idea! (What again!:) ) Here it is; connect a large spiining disk to a kite! :hihi: What!? It could happen?
Could work, but you’d need (of course) at least 2 kite strings, sharp eyes, good coordination, a good bit of space to launch and maneuver, and I’m pretty sure 2 people.

Get the disk spinning with a person at the ground end of the strings and one at the kite end. Launch the kite then the strings are at their most-wound-up. Then it’d just be a matter of moving upwind to pull on the strings, downwind to relax them. Mess up and stall the disk, and you’d have to pull the kite back down and repeat the whole process.

:) I’d give very guessitive odds of 2:1 against anybodies being able to actually keep the disk spinning with the kite airborn for more than a few seconds, but I’ve nowhere near the kite or big spinning disk-on-a-string experience of Turtle and Racoon.

An ingenious, prop-like self-starting design might make 1-person operation possible. :)

Could work, but you’d need (of course) at least 2 kite strings, sharp eyes, good coordination, a good bit of space to launch and maneuver, and I’m pretty sure 2 people.

Get the disk spinning with a person at the ground end of the strings and one at the kite end. Launch the kite then the strings are at their most-wound-up. Then it’d just be a matter of moving upwind to pull on the strings, downwind to relax them. Mess up and stall the disk, and you’d have to pull the kite back down and repeat the whole process.

:) I’d give very guessitive odds of 2:1 against anybodies being able to actually keep the disk spinning with the kite airborn for more than a few seconds, but I’ve nowhere near the kite or big spinning disk-on-a-string experience of Turtle and Racoon.

An ingenious, prop-like self-starting design might make 1-person operation possible. :)

___Good points all; from lightning to good coordination. The right disk, the right kites(s), the right peeps. I think a 2-line stunter with the lines kept short might do the trick.:hihi: :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
So Possible.

___I agree Orby; just a matter of my motivation.:)

___ In the mean time, I took out my small 'dibble' the other day & dibbled a half-hour straight in order to calm my nerves.

___Our friendly Big Dog put it back in my mind as he coaxed me a bit out of my shell, & I think this little disk is a good home project for him & his pups, as well as any family group.

___I am not surprised that no one has proffered any physics formulae to describe this system; it is highly dynamic & complex. Enjoy! Woof!:dog

___I agree Orby; just a matter of my motivation.:)

___ In the mean time, I took out my small 'dibble' the other day & dibbled a half-hour straight in order to calm my nerves. Here again is the Gallery image with instructions for making & operating these little 'toys":

http://hypography.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=284&c=3&userid=796

___Our friendly Big Dog put it back in my mind as he coaxed me a bit out of my shell, & I think this little disk is a good home project for him & his pups, as well as any family group.

___I am not surprised that no one has proffered any physics formulae to describe this system; it is highly dynamic & complex. Enjoy! Woof!:eek:

Yes it is indeed complex. :)

I am looking forward to hopefully another episode of dibbling. :D

It is harder to make a good,large dibble, such as the one Turtle created, than it looks.

Turtle has made Yo-Yo sized Dibbles that would make great fun gifts for Pups and Grups alike. ;)

Yes it is indeed complex. :)

I am looking forward to hopefully another episode of dibbling. :D

Turtle has made Yo-Yo sized Dibbles that would make great fun gifts for Pups and Grups alike. ;)

___Oh yeah baby; we'll dibble 'till the cows come home oh masked wonder!:eek:

___The yo-yo size is described in the instructions I linked to above, & post#10 of this thread has a picture (a scan actually) of my own diable/khua made according to the instructions.

___Dibble on!!:)

We are in fact going to make some spinners this weekend! I will send you pictures of the proceedings and the finished product.

I was actually pondering a similar thing last weekend. One of the kids found a broken necklace. Just the chain really. When I picked if up to look at it the thing spun in such a fashion that the two dangling ends looped around each other, increasing speed until they reached the end. Then they reversed direction, unwound, and wound up again. This repeated until it had consumed all the energy it had gotten from me picking it up. I tried shaking it every which way to make it to it again, but no luck. Finally I just took one end and swung it so that it looped around the other. It immediately transfered it energy into the other string so they were looping around each other again. Fascinating. Someday that bit of knowledge will come in handy.

Bill

We are in fact going to make some spinners this weekend! I will send you pictures of the proceedings and the finished product.

Bill

I think thats a great Idea BigD!!

May you have fun and learn.... Your enthusiasm is contagious! :lol: :eek:

My Pit, for the time being, sends you a hearty WROOOFF!!!