Science Forums

Spinning Button On A String

Turtle

Are bull-roarers Tops?

no; bullroarers are not tops. the bullroarer and the diable/khua/spinning-disk-on-a-string require constant input of energy to continue operating. :evil: :doh:

PS here's a fun clip of my bullroarer showing that its bite is as bad as its bark. >> YouTube - battle axe watermelon head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OlxUsGMS0Y

bonus videos. >> YouTube - diable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNJXAmVUV-k

diable with light >> YouTube - hyper-dimensional hole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovQ01KYvrcs

Oh, and don't forget to fill us in on your results.

Let me know if you have any more projects that you're going to work on Turtle.

I miss the good 'ol cyano-type days.

We need more fun projects like that.

I am at your disposal to help with any future projects (especially now that it's summer break!)

roger wilco fellas. i have the motor and tranny out now and it even has a mechanism to disengage the gears while the motor continues running. next bit is to power it up and determine the rpm so i can start designing gears/pulleys to produce the 30 rpm i have estimated for the cam.

(have you made more cyanotypes mercedes? i love that project too and if you make more by all means post them to pigment thread. :cheer: )

one small obstacle for me is that my video camera has gone belly up; could be a while before i get it to the shop for repair. i'll try to make do with written exposition and drawerings. (sometimes i misspell purposefully. :applause: ) :applause: :cocktail:

I don't know how you keep so busy.. !

gray magic. :dust:

i'm a little short on ambition this week, but i took some measurements on the tranny. i have a 10 tooth external gear driving a 40 tooth external gear. using a model train transformer, i get 7 - 8 rpm on the 40 toother at around 12v. that puts the 10 tooth at ~ the 30 rpm i need. as making up the join twixt motor & machine is a major commitment, i plan to start procrastinating immediately.

machine plans, movies, photographs & details are outlined in earlier posts to this thread. :esmoking: :turtle:

(have you made more cyanotypes mercedes? i love that project too and if you make more by all means post them to pigment thread. )

No...:turtle:

I haven't really had enough time to go back and try to make more with the camera. Perhaps soon.

Although, I have another project that I'm working on. It's in the initial phases of design, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll make a thread later tonight. :esmoking:

• 4 months later...
Looks more like an ad for Hypography on youtube! :hyper:

Unabashedly!!! Without Tormod & his 3rd child Hypography, this would all languish in obscurity. All Hail the Big T! :)

I need a portable, hand held Khua.

As luck has it, I know how to make them, I have the instructions here in the Science Gallery, and at least one person has successfully followed them. I give you my Spanish friend Bramadera, master maker of bullroarers and didjeridus.

YouTube - Disco giratorio - Spinning disc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sacYm_Y6J8

Instructions (click to enlarge):

We now return you to blatant Hypography advertising and Turtle self promotion; have a nice day. :cup:

YouTube - Tortuga Jorge's Mystical Khua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Sq8rBnE_0

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I grew up down the street from the guy who was the inspiration for "Rain Man." He was smarter than everybody -- memorized the Denver phone book just for something to do. He wandered around our neighborhood spinning a button on a string all day. This thread makes me wonder if he was actually analyzing while he walked, instead of just giving his hands something to do.

He was an OK guy, just disconnected. His younger brother was one of my best friends. Wonder if he ever met Tom Cruise.

I grew up down the street from the guy who was the inspiration for "Rain Man." He was smarter than everybody -- memorized the Denver phone book just for something to do. He wandered around our neighborhood spinning a button on a string all day. This thread makes me wonder if he was actually analyzing while he walked, instead of just giving his hands something to do.

He was an OK guy, just disconnected. His younger brother was one of my best friends. Wonder if he ever met Tom Cruise.

Wonderful anecdote. :) If ever you should have the chance to ask him, by all means do. I have seen him (I forget his name) on TV before, and I realize asking him a question is a tricky bit. :D

I don't get the Tom Cruise reference? :agree: :magic: :wink:

I grew up down the street from the guy who was the inspiration for "Rain Man."

Wonder if he ever met Tom Cruise.

I think there’s a good chance he has. He appears to have pretty close ties to Barry Morrow, who wrote the pre-screenplay story for “Rain Man”, and Dustin Hoffman, who played the character he inspired, met him while preparing for the role (this profile of Kim Peek has some photos of Peek and Morrow posing with the 1949 Buick from the movie, and mention of his meeting with Hoffman). Hoffman mentioned Peek in his acceptance speech for the best leading actor Oscar he won for the role, one of 5 Oscars the film won.

His father, Fran Peek, published a biography of his son titled “The Real Rain Man” in 1996, and since then, Kim and Fran have made many public appearances. Discovery Channel aired a documentary on Peek titled “Brainman” in 2005, which, with the “Rainman” connection and the book, made the Peeks, if not true celebrities, at least pretty well known.

For all this, this is the first I’ve heard, and, according to a google search, the first internet mention, of Kim Peek playing with a button on a string.

This thread makes me wonder if he was actually analyzing while he walked, instead of just giving his hands something to do.
My guess is that his attention was attracted to the regularity of its cycle and the sound it made, not to any analysis of its physics.

Although Peek’s memory and other skills are extraordinary, and he’s unusual among savants in displaying original thought, and his ability to interact somewhat normally with people, he’s very limited in his ability to understand cause-and-effect connections and symbolic representations of the kind needed to consider the mechanics of even a simple physical system. Though some accomplished symbolic thinkers exhibited savant-like abilities, such as extraordinary recall and arithmetic ability (eg: John von Neumann), few if any profound savants are able to think symbolically or scientifically.

It’s important, I think, to be mindful of how cognitively atypical many savants, such as Peek, are, and avoid the tendency to interpret their behavior as we would our own. From the anatomy of their brains to how they perceive and interact with the world, savants like Peek are profoundly different.