Science Forums

Forum Upgrade

Killean

The forums have been upgraded to the newest version.

If you experience any problems with the bulletin board software, or any of its features, please post a detailed report here (detailed as in the steps that led up to the error, a summary of the error messages seen, and if you can repeat the error). The Hypography Development staff will look into the errors as soon as possible.

The forum will be down for approximately 3 hours starting Sunday, July 15 at 18:00 (GMT) as we upgrade the forum software. If you experience any problems with features of the forums after the upgrade is done, please post a message in this thread and the staff will fix it as soon as possible.

As an added note, (also to bump the thread and redirect your attention to the first post) we will be upgrading the bulletin board features during the week, so some functions might suddenly change, or bug out on you. If this occurs, please follow the steps mentioned in the first post and post a message in this thread.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Not sure if this belongs here but its an issue that drives me nuts.

Can you guys do something about the length of time your logged in without activity? I dont know how many times I am typing a response to a post and hit preview to find I have been logged out. I still havent figured out how long this window is, and today it seemed shorter than usual (but I havent had much coffee so maybe my WPM are not up to speed yet).

Please dont tell me "shorten your posts" :ohdear:

Thanks!!

Making your posts smaller can't hurt can it?

An alternative is you write your posts in a text file before logging in, and then post/test etc...

Regardless, I have bumped up the session time to 20 minutes. I don't think we can make this any longer without compromising user security.

there seems too be a lag in post time I was in Solar Flares thread went to post a reply it took 5 min to upload then I got stuck in some kind of time portal and it posted three times, thought I was never going to get out of that?? Note: not my server. :ohdear:

Curious change (not sure if related), nor is it particularly problematic (from an end-user standpoint). When viewing "Who's Online." If a user is in the main forum index, the location shows "Viewing Gallery Index: Hypography Science Forums." It used to say "Viewing Forum Index" without any sub-category information.

there seems too be a lag in post time I was in Solar Flares thread went to post a reply it took 5 min to upload then I got stuck in some kind of time portal and it posted three times, thought I was never going to get out of that?? Note: not my server. :ohdear:

I will keep an eye out for this. Thank you.

Making your posts smaller can't hurt can it?

An alternative is you write your posts in a text file before logging in, and then post/test etc...

Regardless, I have bumped up the session time to 20 minutes. I don't think we can make this any longer without compromising user security.

Thank you :hihi:

OK; i'm onboard. almost missed this boat. :lol:

to Doug et al on loosing post: what I do is habitually select and paste my post to the clipboard before I hit submit. Not only do you not loose it if Hypog logs you out, you don't loose it if you loose your internet connection. Sometimes hitting the 'Back' button on your browser will get you your post back too.

Problems I've had since upgrade:

#1 when i try to upload a new image to the Gallery, when I hit submit my file name is cleared & I get message '...never mind; it's working now.

#2 when in the 'Who's Online' and clicking on 'Sending Gallery E-card', I get a partially filled in form and it says "From Turtle". I have never in my life sent a Gallery E-Card.:eek::doh: I attached a screenshot below. If the sky is falling, please advise so I can get my helmet on. :doh: :)

#3 when i try to put one of my Gallery images in a post via the 'My pics' feature, I get the portal screen in the window that opens and not my Gallery images.

PS Killean rocks:headbang:, Tormod blocks:spam:

#3 when i try to put one of my Gallery images in a post via the 'My pics' feature, I get the portal screen in the window that opens and not my Gallery images.

I remember this bug from the last upgrade, too. It's probably easy to fix but atm I'm on a dialup cellphone connection so it will have to wait for at least ten days or so...You can always try to open the gallery in a new window and rightclick on the thumbnail or the full image you want to use, and choose "Copy image location", and then paste that inside an url%20to%20image tag.