Science Forums

pgrmdave

I guess it's a natural byproduct of a human tendency to judge and our abilities to remember. Also, it's an efficient way to "get to know others" with out actually meeting them. I think people naturally like to gather data, naturally like to conserve time, and naturally form very concrete opinions of others. reputation is the result.

Here is one I've always wondered about the rep system. What is the point difference between the amount of green/red blocks? Ex: Reaching 100 or -100 rep points means you get a second block added under your title.

Let me do some experimenting, and I'll use you as the GP, ok? I'll make sure to put your rep points back by the end of the week, but i'm going to see how many it takes to add another block, or turn the one green one to red... it'll be a true scientific experiment! :hihi:

at Reputation level 200, you now have 3 green blocks, and it says that you have a spectacular aura about.

i have 6 green blocks, and i am a glorious beacon of light. I think Tormod may have been nice to me though, because alex is the only one that has given me Rep points so far... even though i hand out rep points for the rest of you bums on an almost daily basis! :hihi:

ok, so it seems that from 1-99 will get you one green block, 100-199 gets you two, etc. while 1-49 gets you one saying, 50-149 gets you another, 150-249 another, etc.

of course, this also works in the negative.

so somebody has been kissing up to Tormod, adding to his Rep, huh? Just want to point out that while he may be the Editor of the site, *I* am the one you need to be nice to if you want free Hypography stuff to be sent to your home... Hint Hint hint!!!

Ok, Killean, so now you know, and I will be putting your Rep Points back to where I found them, plus 15 ... for being part of my little science experiment and asking the question.

oh, and pgrmdave is getting 10 points as well, because I'm hoping he'll understand why Reps are important now.

Rep points are really just a way to let others see how much each member is respected in our Forums. You are encouraged to add positive Rep points to any post, or poster, that you feel is outstanding. You are also encouraged to let others know you didn't like their post, attitude, or tone with a 'negative' Rep point. This is a way for the entire community to hold each other accountable, to stay within the FAQ, and to be fair and fun. Also, please remember that if a user is found abusing the Rep points in an attempt to discredit another member, we will slap you around with a wet noodle and call you silly names for a week, ok? IOW, don't do that, it's just not nice!

Thank you, Irish, for helping make sense of Rep points.

No problem, Dave.

One other thing that I just figured out... each time someone adds, or subtracts, Rep points, it goes in blocks of 10. So each vote for or against your post is worth 10 Rep points.

And if you check YOUR OWN UserCP, you can read what the last person who added to your Rep had to say about you. I'm not quite sure where all of the comments go, but I know the most recent one is available for your viewing, but it does not appear to be a public thing. (ie - nobody else will be able to see that i gave pgrmdave a positive rep on one post, then a negative rep on a different post, in order to see what type of effect it would have on his overall rep, but Dave will be able to read my last comment.) (oh, and Dave, I already balanced out your points again, so they are right where they should be, with no ill effects from all of my experimenting :hihi: )

Weeeee! I love being a Guinia Pig! Thank you Irish for solving my curiosity, I must work hard to reach the next level and two shiney green badges. This should be fun! :hihi:

IrishEyes said:

so somebody has been kissing up to Tormod, adding to his Rep, huh? Just want to point out that while he may be the Editor of the site, *I* am the one you need to be nice to if you want free Hypography stuff to be sent to your home... Hint Hint hint!!!

Oh sweet Irish of the electronic information super highway. How my days could not be complete without a sign of your presence. Your very words speak true of the kind and noble nature that is IrishEyes. Without you the sky with its rich colors is black and meaningless, the sweetest of candy is bitter and bland. How my heart soars when watching your intelligence and wisdom being poured into every word, and every letter you type. I adore, the one we all know, as IrishEyes. :rant:

Weeeee! I love being a Guinia Pig! Thank you Irish for solving my curiosity, I must work hard to reach the next level and two shiney green badges. This should be fun! :hihi:

Oh sweet Irish of the electronic information super highway. How my days could not be complete without a sign of your presence. Your very words speak true of the kind and noble nature that is IrishEyes. Without you the sky with its rich colors is black and meaningless, the sweetest of candy is bitter and bland. How my heart soars when watching your intelligence and wisdom being poured into every word, and every letter you type. I adore, the one we all know, as IrishEyes. ;)

Uh-huh...that's right... did everyone notice what Killean did right there? That is some first class @$$ kissing, and it just earned him some MAJOR rep points.

Of course, he's probably trying to get one of those cool hoodies, like GAHD got for Christmas... :D If so, you'll have to send me the PM with your address, my little brown-nosed friend. :rant:

Brown nose? I see no brown nose. Excuse me for a second.

*checks self in mirror*

Ummm. *looks around nervously* I see no brown, just an odd dull discolorment of my skin. No biggy.

GAHD got a hoody for Christmas? Oh oh! Can I get one for my birthday on Feb 14th? That would SO rock but might have unforseen sensory misinterpritations since that day is usualy mistaken for the love day rather then my Bday. :hihi:

*turns around, the room gets dark, entering self naration*

Good, my plan to take over the masses with my brown noseing and goody-two-shoes behavior is almost complete. Step 1) Get two badges. Step 2) Get three badges. Step 3) Convert the masses. Step 4) Rig some overly complicated plot and contraption that will allow me to change my badge allocation at will. Step 5) Ummm... I'll get back to you on that.

*returning from self naration*

What!