Science Forums

Bugs and Butterflies

Cedars

old collections are very valuable if in good condition and have labels. fr example not long ago there was 3 new species and 4 species not known to be here. these collections were made in the early 1900's and have since not been found again, presumably extinct/extirpated. the thing is development, and a country such as taiwan that has grown ENORMOUSLY in the last century, these old collections may be the only proof of a specie.

• 2 weeks later...

I have submitted and received verification for a MN butterfly via the MN contact on the Butterflies and Moths of North America site I linked to earlier in the thread.

This particular contact does not have a website that I am aware of (but I will verify with the next submission). This person says to submit all data even if the main site already recorded the info, as they are using this to track trends in populations. They do not keep the photos after ID is made so any copyrights are still yours.

Here is the response I received:

"I have verified your photo as Epargyreus clarus and the data has been recorded. Excellent photo and data. good job. I will forward this to the group and they will be adding this info to the MN database. I don't know when they will update the maps and species list on the website. Please send in more species as you find them. Your attachment worked fine and data format are great."

The data requested was this:

I gave common name - Silver Spotted Skipper

> Genus Species: Epargyreus clarus

>State: Minnesota

> County: (deleted for post)

> Location detail (town): I gave town and nearest road i.e. My street and Nearest cross road.

> Date: June 24, 2007 (date picture taken)

> Name of person with data: (deleted for post)

> Data type: Photos (attached)

If someone is thinking of doing this, I would contact your state person and ask them what they need for the data.

Next submission I am going to try to remember to ask about sighting data requirements, are they interested in numbers seen in a location, and is there anyone who can help if an ID cant be made (I have several of those in the skipper family).

One of the pics I submitted for this ID:

Interestingly enough, on Oregon Field Guide yesterday evening, there was a bit on the Taylor's Checker Spot Butterfly.

One of the rarest in the World! and could be extinct very soon! ;):doh:

Oregon Field Guide — This Week's Episode · Oregon Public Broadcasting

Taylor Checker Spot Butterflies have been diminished into a few spaces in Oregon..

The Oregon Zoo is trying to gather catepillars and "breed" them back into the wild.

The biggest problem is habitat loss. (more people!)

A small park in Benton County is home to the largest population of one of the rarest butterflies in the world. Until recently, little was known about the Taylor's Checkerspot, but studies now confirm their numbers are declining. They need a specialized prairie meadow habitat to survive and that habitat is disappearing. See how the Oregon Zoo and some private landowners are trying to bring hope for the survival of this beautiful creature.

For more information: Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

Located in Portland, the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation takes a leading role in the effort to protect biodiversity worldwide.

Online: Leaders in Invertebrate Conservation: Endangered Butterfly Protection, Pollinators, Stream Biomonitoring

More Info:

Taylor's Checkerspot Butterfly — Butterfly Conservation Initiative

OK, I am back from Paris, and back on the track of butterflies before I leave New Jersey. First thing I heard is that there is a Raccoon living in the attic, so I was not eager to go up there and look through things. Then I heard that my sister Samantha had taken the butterflies with her to Texas a few years ago, so before confronting a critter I gave a call to Sam. And the news is good, Sam did bring the butterflies with her to Texas, and she has done some documentation of them. She is going to take pictures and send them to me, and being Sam, it will happen pretty quickly.

From my phone conversation here is some more information. Apparently my Grampa Earl collected the butterflies and moths in 1916 and 1917. At that time he was probably still living in Iowa, and it was around the time he graduated from chiropractic college (Palmer School) before finishing high school and then getting his engineering degree. So, we have some very old samples in what Sam describes as OK condition, although she is including the condition of the cases which are held together with masking tape. I will post the pics right after I get them from her.

It was 20 years ago that I stored them in the attic. I also remember my grandfather telling me about them when he still lived in Tombstone, AZ, when I was a wee lad. I am very curious about how good my recollection is.

Bill

My friend/landlord just bought three beautiful butterfly bushes and set them outside my door way. When I was leaving for lunch earlier, I noticed a curious visitor milking the flowers. I ran and grabbed my camera and snapped the photos below.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I suspect it is some kind of moth? It was very fast and never came to rest. Anybody know this one?

My friend/landlord just bought three beautiful butterfly bushes and set them outside my door way. When I was leaving for lunch earlier, I noticed a curious visitor milking the flowers. I ran and grabbed my camera and snapped the photos below.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I suspect it is some kind of moth? It was very fast and never came to rest. Anybody know this one?

Check out Hummingbird Moth. Not sure exactly which one you captured there. Keywords would be clearwing moth, hummingbird moth, sphinx moth and hawk moth.

Species Detail | Butterflies and Moths of North America

Genus Hemaris - BugGuide.Net

Its a good find for sure. What you say about it being very fast is a common lament. I saw one (dont know what kind) for a brief moment in the meadows in June. It landed on the road for a second and took off into the field. I had camera in hand and couldnt get a shot of it.

• 2 weeks later...

just a note on note taking. when recording location, be very detailed. nowadays most people use GPS, but back in the day many people would use the distance and direction from the nearest post office (make sure you date that in case they move it...).

towns are ok, but still rather vague. if you know exactly where and when you can pinpoint the habitat it was in rather than relying on "by a stream" type descriptions. just thought i would throw that in, as it is very important.

and if submitting it, be sure to have the tag on the pin r in the bottle. many places wont trust secondary tags or taped on tags. anyway thats my experience with it.

great looking butterflies guys!

sometimes it seems that no matter what we do were killing off something.B)

Climate change isolates Rocky Mountain butterflies

August 14' date=' 2007 - Expanding forests in the Canadian Rocky Mountains are slowly isolating groups of alpine butterflies from each other, which may lead to the extinction of the colourful insects in some areas, says a new study from the University of Alberta.[/quote']

Climate change isolates Rocky Mountain butterflies

here are some pictures of the alpine Apollo butterfly (Parnassius)

Photos

I collect things. I dont have a particular focus other than things of nature. But I have rules about what I collect, and the one which is most important to me is I do not kill something to collect it. I would also accept farm/hand raised items (such as feathers from an ostrich farm) or legally hunted items for collection.

That said, this story bothers me on several levels. After a lengthy investigation, after the money spent, and the estimated black market value of the items that were exchanged, the penalty does not reflect the crimes committed.

"Kojima was arrested at Los Angeles airport on July 31, 2006. He pleaded guilty to 17 charges related to the sale and smuggling of endangered butterflies. This April, he was sentenced to 21 months in prison and fined $38,731."

U.S. finally nets global butterfly smuggler

I think he will do about 18 months, maybe less. I would imagine if this was dead tigers, or dead gorillas, his sentence would have been longer. With a penalty as low as this, there seems to be a good chance of him re-offending once he is released.

the penalty does not reflect the crimes committed.

With a penalty as low as this, there seems to be a good chance of him re-offending once he is released.

I think he'll get what's coming to him.

I imagine his response to the famous prison question "what are you in for?" will be ripe for mockery and may make him the prison "girly boy", if you know what I mean. :pirate:

I think he'll get what's coming to him.

I imagine his response to the famous prison question "what are you in for?" will be ripe for mockery and may make him the prison "girly boy", if you know what I mean. :turtle:

This had never occurred to me, but you may be correct.

I know your kidding around but I have to say for clarity, I think that would be too high of a price to pay (girly boy). Ridicule is ok though....

• 2 weeks later...

Some people cant stand the sight of them, I know....

OK, This guy I bribed with a small cricket. I probably made him/her temporarily blind with all the flashes from the camera. Of the 21 shots I took, heres the top three. This is why I dont post alot of pics. Thank Gawd the kid got a digital....

I know its one of the funnel web spiders. I am thinking this one:

Genus Agelenopsis -

Any suggestions?