Science Forums

Explication

sanctus

This forum is, as you may see in its description, for all the non-mainstream science but still with scientific reasoning, otherwise it will be put to the strange claims subforums.

Also so far there aren't direction specific sub-forums here (for example like non-mainstream physics, non-mainstream biology, etc.), but if requested or needed they will be created. In case just post a request here.

Neat idea. While I don't think it will be as successful as the Terra Preta forum, I'm glad to see new things. :confused:

I'll test the waters with a post. If you deem it appropriate to move, I really don't care where it lands. Thanks for trying something new, and giving ideas a chance to blossom. I wonder how many public stonings we'll witness here. ;)

:cup:

Certainly, that was the idea.

We've let a lot of members propose their own alternative ideas in the normal forums, and with many members showing interest, as long as they weren't presuming to make it The Truth, but it's better to have one place where folks can discuss and learn what is currently accepted science and another for those who think they have a new idea to put forward.

This of course doesn't mean they don't need to support their ideas and face criticism or objections based on hard fact and observation, but certainly one may propose an idea, even without (yet) having some convincing proof or evidence.

BTW we hope it will become a group, with a forum for physics for instance, one for cosmology and other areas that include some still controversial aspects.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the place to discuss the QSSC model (after all this is an alternative theory), or should that be in the cosmology section (after all it is a cosmology).

What about Segal's Chronometric Cosmology, or Arps discordant redshifts (after all, these too are alternative models.)

Come to think of it Linde's multiverse hypothesis is an alternative theory. It is not mainstream by any stretch of the imagination.

Should all theories that have an intrinsic break-down of the fundamental laws of physics somewhere or at some time t inherent in the model be discussed in this new sub-section?

Is only the big bang to be discussed in the other section called Astronomy and Cosmology, subtitled From the Big Bang to Multiverse...and everything inbetween.

If indeed that is where to discuss the multiverse idea, I am confused. That is not by a longshot a mainstream view.

So what gives?

CC

Coldcreation,

you raise a good point there, ie. how to judge where something belongs? I personally think (but started a discussion amongst mods on this subject) that the mod and admins of a given forum can judge, adecision which can always be contested by contacting an admin or a mod.

A thumb-rule I would say that if you have a well presented theory and you are not sure where to post it, then post it in the given forum. If it is not a theory which has already been discussed in detail before, probably it will stay there.

Also, the idea of making the alternative theories forum was to have a place to put some threads, but without making it a sort of punishment to the thread starter as it was with the strange claims forum. The aim is to have here still a scientific discussion, while in SCF it is more open.

Now this makes me wonder is it already time to make subject-specific subforums here?

Don't hesitate to use the user's feedback dorum for any suggestions!

By the way is Linde's multiverse hypothesis, not just a possible generalisation of (chaotic?not sure anymore) inflation? So it wouldn't be really an alternative theory...

Also so far there aren't direction specific sub-forums here (for example like non-mainstream physics, non-mainstream biology, etc.), but if requested or needed they will be created. In case just post a request here.

Sanctus,

This is Andrew Gray. I posted an "Alternative Physics Thread" in your Physics and Mathematics forums, not knowing that there was an "Alternative Theories" section below under "Special Forums".

The point is that I looked for and did not see where to place Alternative Physical Science Theories. This means that my alternative theory will not be seen by many.

Will you please create an "Alternative Theories" in the Physical Science Section and place my New Theory there?

Andrew A. Gray

• 4 weeks later...