Science Forums

Kangaroos in California

Thanks Buffy

I am posting a long very sane argument for roo farming & management from a Canadian (Mike Archer) of all people!

I somehow seem to upset Care2 and peta people all the time. My latest post was of a conservationist wearing a Feral Cat Hat. That should get some reaction;)

Rural News - 02/06/2003: Cat man wins PMs environmentalist of the year

There are still 3,000 starving kangaroos on defense land near Canberra that because of the Californian uproar authorities are too paralised to do anything about them.

I suggested PETA type people might like to feed them (cost c 80c-$1 a day) rather than see them slowly starve but apparently they prefer the slow starvation option.

Relocation might also be an option but it is cheaper to give them an economy seat on Qantas and fly them to California.(Many would also get business upgrades) How would 3,000 BIG Roos go at Disyneland do you think? Big mousekateers?

In Conversation - 31 May 2007 - Mike Archer

Lot more at site

Why is it the most humane and sensible method of fixing a problem is always opposed by PETA? they kill plenty of dogs and cats here in the USA but Roos are off limits because...? How far north (In the Northern hemisphere)can Roos be farmed? can they live where it snows? Can I house them in barns and put collars on them to keep them in fences? (shock collars that immobilize them before they can jump) I am from the mountains of WV, the farmers there need a profitable animal they can grow. Roos sound really good, roo burgers, Roo steak and gravy, Roo t-bones on the grill. Can it be done? A little side note, in WV the deer are taking over the place killing people by running out in front of cars and the ensuing wreak kills everyone in the car. So what did they do? They release coyotes to control the deer. Guess what they find inside every coyote they kill. Dogs collars and tags, cat collars and tags, chicken remains, even a few small children have been attacked but the deer remain the same! I'd shoot the deer and the coyotes, farm Roos and maybe some of the people in that state can make enough money to actually live for a change!

Moon

PETA is mostly behind this one, and the save-the-roo folks just believe that you shouldn't kill anything, even if its overpopulated. The folks arguing the case in the legislature are a tiny bit more realistic, making the argument that "since they are hunted at night, you might not be able to tell 'endangered roos' from the overpopulated species." :shrug:

Call me slow but the full import of this just struck me

Australians must have been eating a lot of carrots to see in the dark?

( BTW the carrot thing was a propaganda campaign put out by the Brits during WW2 to confuse the Germans about all the extra planes they were shooting down because of improved radar technology)

Hunting in done in Utes/4WDs with high powered searchlights.

I am not a hunter, I hate guns, but allowing an animal to starve is obscene and makes us less than human.

I'd shoot the deer and the coyotes, farm Roos and maybe some of the people in that state can make enough money to actually live for a change!

Big Kangaroos would gut a coyote stupid enough to attack it.

We have the same problem with feral cats now estimated at 12 million. One cat for ever two people.They annihilate small 'rat' kangaroos, pygmy possums mammals,lizards, birds etc especially now that we have become a lot more effective in controlling the rabbit plague. (callisi virus)

(Another historical Great Idea "Let's let some rabbits loose George and some foxes too! so we can go hunting- Tally Ho- !"-The Brits have a lot to answer for their environmental decimation of this country's wildlife.)

You can't fence Kangaroos unless you have a USA Defence force seret weapons establismnet type budget.

We have the same problem with feral cats now estimated at 12 million. One cat for ever two people.They annihilate small 'rat' kangaroos, pygmy possums mammals,lizards, birds etc especially now that we have become a lot more effective in controlling the rabbit plague. (callisi virus)

(Another historical Great Idea "Let's let some rabbits loose George and some foxes too! so we can go hunting- Tally Ho- !"-The Brits have a lot to answer for their environmental decimation of this country's wildlife.)

I heard that Cane Toads love Cane Beetles. :shrug:

You can't fence Kangaroos unless you have a USA Defence force seret weapons establismnet type budget.

We have electric fences for cattle and other domestics here in the US, it would not be that difficult to raise the bar, so to speak. :hihi:

But nonetheless, I agree with the linked conversation, where Mike Archer argues against farming roos.

Forget the fences. I agree with the 'managed' wildlife idea, as stated by Mr. Archer. Starving roos can be killed humanely and fed to starving humans, or we can take food away from other humane efforts and feed the roos. Which is better morally? Which is better financially?

I heard that Cane Toads love Cane Beetles. :shrug:

We have electric fences for cattle and other domestics here in the US, it would not be that difficult to raise the bar, so to speak. :hihi:

But nonetheless, I agree with the linked conversation, where Mike Archer argues against farming roos.

Forget the fences. I agree with the 'managed' wildlife idea, as stated by Mr. Archer. Starving roos can be killed humanely and fed to starving humans, or we can take food away from other humane efforts and feed the roos. Which is better morally? Which is better financially?

Could the fencless system that is used on dogs be used on roos? If it was made more powerful? What are the enviromental limits to roos?

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
I wish.

Another monumental stuff-up of all time

I doubt if you could fence big roos and they are the 3-4 varieties used for meat.

(Unless you are aboriginal then you can eat anything)

Most of the 40 or so varieties are protected

I think I'll move to australia, it sounds like the people there have a little bit of sense at least, The US has been kicking my but for the last few years. the government is trying to take away everything. If you want to mess something up just let the government loose on it. they go nuts over importing aquarium fish afraid some idiot aquarium keeper might turn some loose and then turn around and release terrible plagues of weird fish from around the world and all you get is oops we didn't think they could do that!

Michael

• 2 months later...

Again apost that would be equaly at home on the "Australia" , 'Global Warming' threads as well as this thread

Can we revise the duplicate post rule please?

Eat more kangaroo, less burping beef

October 10, 2007 03:24pm

Article from: AAP

EATING kangaroo meat instead of beef will help lower Australia's greenhouse emissions by reducing the numbers of methane-belching cows, a study says.

The University of New South Wales research suggests a 20 per cent cut in beef production from 1990 levels, the equivalent of 15 million tonnes of methane.

"Beef production is chosen in this measure because it is responsible for the biggest share of livestock-related methane emissions," says the report, Paths to a Low Carbon Future.

"This measure could be accomplished by shifting to kangaroo meat and/or lower-meat diets."

Eat more kangaroo, less burping beef | NEWS.com.au

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greenpeace urges kangaroo consumption to fight global warming Herald Sun

Karen Collier

October 10, 2007 02:35pm

MORE kangaroos should be slaughtered and eaten to help save the world from global warming, environmental activists say.

The controversial call to cut down on beef and serve more of the national symbol on our dinner plates follows a report on curbing greenhouse gas emissions damaging the planet.

Greenpeace energy campaigner Mark Wakeham urged Aussies to substitute some red meat for roo to help reduce land clearing and the release of methane gas from flatulent cattle and sheep.

"It is one of the lifestyle changes we can make," Mr Wakeham said.

Greenpeace urges kangaroo consumption to fight global warming | Herald Sun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

kangaroo tastes like really lean beef there is no fat. It mostly tastes like mild beef

However you have to eat it the way French eat beef "pink" or rare (blue is not necessary). Some who like eating Charcoal Burnt Beef find this hard- but not in our family.

Best to order it "pink" if you are wary of 'undercooked' meat or 'as the chef suggests' otherwise. It is my favourite meat- apart from Peking Duck- if I eat out.

Because it is so lean it is as "Tough as Old Harry" (oz idiom) if overcooked.

A cannibal aquantace told me (well, actually, my wife) that human flesh tasted like mild lamb. (He is now an MP in PNG Parliament).

Sounds delicious:)

Seriously the bug in the Kangaroos gut that stops methane production is being intensively studied.

If it could be made to work in cows and other ruminants this would lead to a HUGE drop in GHGs

How interconnected we all are on this planet.

Thanks Michaelangelica,

A cannibal aquantace told me (well' date=' actually, my wife) that human flesh tasted like mild lamb. (He is now an MP in PNG Parliament).

Sounds delicious[/quote']

:eek_big: Well I'll have to shy away form that one, but I'll try Roo if I can find some. :hyper::doh:

kangaroo tastes like really lean beef there is no fat. It mostly tastes like mild beef

However you have to eat it the way French eat beef "pink" or rare (blue is not necessary). Some who like eating Charcoal Burnt Beef find this hard- but not in our family.

Best to order it "pink" if you are wary of 'undercooked' meat or 'as the chef suggests' otherwise. It is my favourite meat- apart from Peking Duck- if I eat out.

Because it is so lean it is as "Tough as Old Harry" (oz idiom) if overcooked.

A cannibal aquantace told me (well, actually, my wife) that human flesh tasted like mild lamb. (He is now an MP in PNG Parliament).

Sounds delicious:)

Seriously the bug in the Kangaroos gut that stops methane production is being intensively studied.

If it could be made to work in cows and other ruminants this would lead to a HUGE drop in GHGs

How interconnected we all are on this planet.

The way the French eat their beef? I eat my beef seared on the outside and raw on the inside, just knock off the horns and hooves, wipe it's *** and drag it squalling across the hot grill! Is roo good very rare?