Science Forums

I had to join...

zadojla

I had to join. The thread about visiting NYC needed a comment.

What you need to know about me:

beccareb's dad

two years as a math major in college, including 2 years math, 2 years physics, 1 year chemistry, 1 year mechanics (don't ask)

two years in college as anthropology major (B.S. 1971), or could have gotten a degree in history

30 years experience in data processing, primarily operations and batch production on mainframe computers (Yes, they still exist, and they are really, really, big)

Born and bred in the NYC borough of Brooklyn (Youse gotta problem wit dat?)

Yeah, that would be all, then. :hihi:

Welcome!

I agree. The other stuff is nice to know, and you would have been welcomed no matter who your daughter was... but since you belong to beccareb...

WELCOME!!

WE can hardly wait to hear all you have to say on the NYC topic... Any hints on how to get Tormod in to see Letterman?

But is he going to post his NYC info???

Well, I wrote a very long post, and when I went to actually post it, something went wrong and it got lost. I was so frustrated and annoyed, I haven't reproduced it yet. Maybe tomorrow. It was mostly things to watch out for, and terminology regarding NYC.

Well, I wrote a very long post, and when I went to actually post it, something went wrong and it got lost. I was so frustrated and annoyed, I haven't reproduced it yet. Maybe tomorrow. It was mostly things to watch out for, and terminology regarding NYC.

It got lost? that stinks. it's happened to me as well though, but only when i'm booted into windows. somehow, my fingers seem to hit a certain keystroke combo that erases huge portions of text, but only in windows...

we very much want to know what the locals have to say about NYC, so please consider re-posting and giving us some pointers.

i can't wait to hear the terminology... :hihi:

hopefully, Tormod will chime in here and tell us where to check on the session timeout thing. that part has not happened to me, and i've taken my sweet time writing up some responses. but i do know of other people that the same exact thing you mentioned happened to, one of them was just this evening/morning...

we'll check into the session timeout thing though. sorry it happened, and i hope it won't stop you from posting again... :hihi:

I think I took so long to write it up that my session timed out; at least that's what I inferred from the messages I got. Once I logged back on, the full screen of stuff I was going to post had vanished into the bit bucket.

I had a session like that today. I was getting no response. I got paranoid and copied it

into the copy buffer. I then stopped the submit a couple of times and resubmitted. After

more than four minutes. It finally went. This was about 4:30 PM or so PST. Sorry for

you lost of data & effort. Whatta' bummer. :hihi:

Maddog

I am really sorry to hear about this. I think that can happen if you're really unlucky and the server is restarted while you work. Then all sessions are lost. I have never had that happen to me but like maddog says, if you write a long post hit "CTRL+A" (select all) and "CTRL+C" (copy) to avoid losing it.

Sadly this is beyond our control as Hypography is hosted in Arizona and I happen to be in Oslo, Norway...for some unknown reason my scramjet has been acting up lately so I can't do my routine flights to check out the server. :hihi:

I still hope you post your NYC stuff, though.