Science Forums

We need a trillion more indoor plants.

On lights the NASA LED technology seems to have finally tricked down south

I thought these "Light Sticks" (Someone should make them an market them as Light Sabers!) were really cute

you can build your own long-lasting, nifty-looking LED light spikes. Popular Science details the parts and simple wiring steps needed to create the light spikes, which can be made from any clear container and hooked up and controlled as single units or chained into a system. No soldering or other intense electrical work appears to be needed,

Build Your Own Plant-Boosting LED Light Spikes | Lifehacker Australia

Lots of info at this site

LED Grow Master presents LED grow lights for plants and planet

More than 95% of the light emitted form our LED grow lights is in the peak absorption range, meaning the plants are able to absorb and use the

wavelengths provided for growth and health. High heat light sources such as HPS and Halide emit mostly heat. For every 1000 watts of electricity

used- approximately 750 watts is heat

LED Grow Lights and LED Plant Characteristics Comparison

• In commercial growing, monitor your CO2 levels. LED lights emit a large amount of absorbed light energy, which may require slight

augmentation of CO2 levels (typically 300-500 PPM).

LED Gardening Tips for use with LED Grow Master LED Grow Lights

Does this mean the lights emit less CO2?

Led's work good. i had a board made here with a friend of a friend who makes panels for work. they worked quite well, but they dont penetrate very well so for tall plants they failed kind of badly. similar to flouros that way. but as mentioned, price is an issue...i stopped the whole idea a year or 2 ago until tech goes up and cost goes down lol.

guess its getting better now a days eh?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a confession to make. I think I've lost the fight on the homefront. :(

My wife brought home a fake wreath the other day. Despite my protesting, it matches the kitchen paint! :read:

Finally she seeked the reason behind my disdain. When I tried to explain my reasoning, I got the response, "whatever". All of a sudden, my disdain for plastic plants is turned on me and I'm left to consider my accrual of empty beer bottles. Since I'm not willing to go cold turkey, I suppose it's a fair cop. :naughty:

Nonetheless, I plan on stocking our windows full of live ones once our finances simmer down a bit. (April is a bad month for us in the US...taxes, insurance renewal, and the usual rent and bills)

Say it ain't so, Freeztar. :naughty:

I was wondering if some of the kind folks here could give me some advice. I'm growing a Meyer's lemon tree indoors, and I put it in some more homemade biochar/terra preta soil. But it's withered and not looking so hot. The leaves have dropped off of it. I believe this is because the roots dried out during shipping to my house. Will it recover or do I have to give it up as a loss and order a new tree? Anyone grown one of these Meyer lemons?

This is my first one. The lemon tree's brethren, the lime and dwarf fig, are looking much better and putting out new leaves.

if your adding ash and such, you could have swung the PH WAY too far, which will harm plants. many leafy plants do well in slightly acidic soil, say 6 ish. take a look see if yours is off the charts. other than that i find the only things that citrus really hate are droughts (mostly for small plants in post) and freezes.

• 1 month later...
Say it ain't so, Freeztar. :(

Freeztar So aren't you saving the empty beer bottles to recycle when you make your own home brew? Thus saving the money to buy your lady a new diamond ring? ;) :)

You need to learn the art of Irish Dissembling!:hihi:

I never did get the Yank obsession with wreaths.

Here they are only ever used at funerals!

I was wondering if some of the kind folks here could give me some advice. I'm growing a Meyer's lemon tree indoors, and I put it in some more homemade biochar/terra preta soil. But it's withered and not looking so hot. The leaves have dropped off of it. I believe this is because the roots dried out during shipping to my house. Will it recover or do I have to give it up as a loss and order a new tree? Anyone grown one of these Meyer lemons?

This is my first one. The lemon tree's brethren, the lime and dwarf fig, are looking much better and putting out new leaves.

Stick the plant in a bucket of water for a day or so; and complain to who you purchased it from that should not happen.

Cirrus need a lot of everything including

1. lots of light -full sun!

2. a bit of soil in the potting mix (I don't know why; don't ask).

3. lots of fertiliser including iron --slow release fertiliser (osmocote?) would be safest, so as not to over do it-- which could make the leaves drop off

4. lots of water. lack of this will also make the leaves drop off.

5. leaves will fall off a lemon if they are planted or mulched above the graft point

6 there are miniature lemons available now that take to pots a bit better than your standard huge tree

7. I have never had a lot of success with citrus in pots.

(I am going to try a dwarf citrus when I save up enough to buy one (very expensive -c. $50)

• 2 weeks later...

From a company that sells "air purifiers"

Dust (your sofas and beds are a good breeding ground), pollen from indoor plants , flying fibers from carpets, soot from the kitchen, airborne mould and bacterial particles on paintings, curtains and cabinets, various odors from insect repellants, glass cleaner liquids and deodorants – all these envelop us at home and office completely.

Oxynetsolutions.com: Making your indoors safe today for a healthier tomorrow.

Except to have pollen plants have to flower, and even then, not all produce air born pollen.

On the whole, most indoor plants DO NOT produce pollen!

Some more--plants will kill you--annoying Bull Shite

* Health & Safety Issue: Indoor plants though beautiful can prove fatal in some cases as some species are deadly poisonous and intake of such plant leaves or flowers may lead to death e.g. philodendron and some species of ivy are poisonous.

There are certain plant types that are deadly for cats and there are others that are dangerous for well being of dogs. Bird of Paradise, Pencil Cactus, Peace Lilly, Geranium, Iris Ivy, Lily of the Valley (Lilies are usually hazardous to cats’ health) and Tulips are examples of plants that a cat lover should never think to plant in his home.

Alumroot, American rubber plant, Anthericum comosum, Antirrhinum multiflorum, Mexican firecracker, Mexican snowballs, Mexican rosettes, Minature maranta, Minature marble plant are fine examples of plants that are non-toxic in nature.

http://www.homegardeningideas.net/indoor-plants/157-157/

The NASA research recycled again. How do journalists justify their existance? http://shredsomething.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/pollutionsolution/

some originality in this blog, some of it a bit speculative.

http://teebob.blogspot.com/2009/06/benefits-of-indoor-plants.html

The experiments conducted to test the absorption capacity of indoor plants have yielded excellent results. Employees Plants are also known to have de-stressing effects on the mind. The green color (sic) that the plants possess relaxes the mind. Placing plants in offices have resulted in the rise in productivity of employees. According to the studies conducted, the offices having enough plants in the premises have witnessed drop in absenteeism and enhancement in the creativity of employees

pollen from indoor plants,

;)

Yeah, my basil leaves drive me crazy with indoor pollen. I have to step outside and take a deep breath of smog/pine pollen/ragweed pollen/multiple species of spores/thousands of bacteria/viruses/whatever else is floating around at the moment, and then my nose stops bothering me. I can't even stand being in my house anymore. The pollen is outrageous! I keep dousing the plants with bleach and engine degreaser, but the pollen still remains...

* Health & Safety Issue: Indoor plants though beautiful can prove fatal in some cases as some species are deadly poisonous and intake of such plant leaves or flowers may lead to death e.g. philodendron and some species of ivy are poisonous.

There are certain plant types that are deadly for cats and there are others that are dangerous for well being of dogs. Bird of Paradise, Pencil Cactus, Peace Lilly, Geranium, Iris Ivy, Lily of the Valley (Lilies are usually hazardous to cats’ health) and Tulips are examples of plants that a cat lover should never think to plant in his home.

Alumroot, American rubber plant, Anthericum comosum, Antirrhinum multiflorum, Mexican firecracker, Mexican snowballs, Mexican rosettes, Minature maranta, Minature marble plant are fine examples of plants that are non-toxic in nature.

B)

You should have posted these in the jokes thread.

Everyone knows cats love birds. That's why you have to make sure you never have an indoor Bird of Paradise. Cats will eat them. They will die. Plants are dangerous to cats.

What ever happened to survival of the fittest and natural selection? The kid that eats too many marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own. :shrug:

;)

Yeah, my basil leaves drive me crazy with indoor pollen. I have to step outside and take a deep breath of smog/pine pollen/ragweed pollen/multiple species of spores/thousands of bacteria/viruses/whatever else is floating around at the moment

Everyone knows cats love birds. That's why you have to make sure you never have an indoor Bird of Paradise. Cats will eat them. They will die. Plants are dangerous to cats.

What ever happened to survival of the fittest and natural selection? The kid that eats too many marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own. :shrug:

LOL:)B)

You should be writing scripts for Monty Python!!

I always like to get a good lungful of PCBs, CHs, POPS every day. Atrazine is my current favourite.

The "plants are poisons" thing, that recycles every few months, annoys me as much as plastic plants. (There is also "Herbs are as dangerous as prescription pills" that has a six month cycle).

Being someone interested in herbs and clinical depression and Alzheimer's a nice plant to die with/for? has its appeal. So far I have not found one. Mostly plants warn you by making you spew your guts out or writhe around in agony for days or tasting like ****.

My best candidate, so far, has been Hemlock, but even then that has to be prepared in a special way and taken in a special way. Unfortunately, much to my kid's amusement, i killed my Hemlock. "You killed your hemlock!!" they shouted amidst VERY long, and loud, and impolite, guffaws.

How was I to know it did not like lime!!-- and I put the big bag of FREE builders lime that was thrown out for Council Rubbish- next to it. God hates me. She can be a real-- funny ha ha-- ***** at times.

Have you ever read T L Peacock's Nightmare Abbey."? That's me. (It is a 19C book and maybe downloadable from some Russian site). They made me read it when i was trying to pass English Lit at Uni.

I did meet my wife:eek2:--who topped all the bloody courses.--in a Tragedy Tutorial:( -but that is another story.:shrug:

• 1 month later...

This is a page from an, up and coming, new Australian horticulture mgazine

See

Hort Journal Australia - Online Viewer

They need to sort their web site, a bit, still

What I found intersting in this article

1. It recounts Sydney UTS reseach that supports the USA reseach

2.The comment "Australian urban air pollution health costs are about $12 Bil, per year"

and "pollution kills 1,400 people in Sydney a year'. This, in a city with the cleanest air in the region! (So much for the wimpy swine flu that has killed only 100)

3 .WHO predictions that by 2010 building managers will become responsible (legally?) for indoor air quality.

4. The comment "potting mix bacteria are the main removal agents" -removal of VOCs

So what implications does that have? Do we need the plants at all? How about some Terra preta potting mix? Would't that increase potting mix bacteria?

• 4 weeks later...
Researchers have found that the presence of houseplants in homes and workplaces can reduce eye irritation and stress, motivate employees, improve concentration, and even reduce air impurities. Plants appeared to have a positive effect on headaches and fatigue and hoarseness, and employees even reported having less dry skin when plants were introduced to offices. Interior plants have also been shown to increase work productivity; in one study, employees' reaction time on computer tasks improved by 12% when plants were present.

Now, scientists are testing the impact of plants on student performance and satisfaction in the classroom. Jennifer S. Doxey and Tina Marie Waliczek from the Department of Agriculture, Texas State University, and Jayne M. Zajicek of the Department of Horticultural Sciences, Texas A&M University, published a study of the impact of plants in university classrooms in a recent issue of HortScience. Their main objective was to investigate the impact of plants in classrooms on course performance and student perceptions of the course and instructor.

Although the researchers found no significant differences in students' grades and academic performance, differences were identified in students' overall course and instructor evaluation scores. Of particular interest, statistically significant differences were found between control and treatment groups when students scored questions related to "learning", "instructors' enthusiasm", and "instructors' organization". Students from the group whose classrooms included plants rated these items higher on the satisfaction scale. In comparisons of the two student groups, the most apparent differences were reported by students who attended class in the room that was windowless and stark.

According to Waliczek, "Our results showed that interior plants appeared to have the greatest impact on students who were in the classroom that had no other natural elements. Results also showed that interior plants can be a suitable alternative in some cases to architectural elements such as windows. Our study supports other research showing that plants have value beyond aesthetics in interior environments, including promoting positive feelings in university students."

The complete study and abstract are available on the ASHS Hortscience electronic journal web site: The Impact of Interior Plants in University Classrooms on Student Course Performance and on Student Perceptions of the Course and Instructor -- Doxey et al. 44 (2): 384 -- HortScience

Plants In Classrooms Increase Student Satisfaction

This is a puzzle. If plants release VOCs how come all the reseach says VOCs go down ie plants lower or remove VOCs. Can someone explain this?

The study concluded that "while ornamental plants are known to remove certain VOCs, they also emit a variety of VOCs, some of which are known to be biologically active. The longevity of these compounds has not been adequately studied, and the impact of these compounds on humans is unknown."
Indoor Plants Found To Release Volatile Organic Compounds

Knowing about natural bug control might be important. If we have a trillion indoor plants we could also have a billion idots with pesticide spray cans! :phones:

House Plant Pests

House Plant Pests: Spider Mite Control, Getting Rid Of Aphids

Unfortunately, it’s also filled with low-level toxins. The air inside our houses can be three times more polluted than the air outside.

According to the EPA, indoor air is considered among the leading five hazards to human health. For many of us, that’s easy enough to shrug off: Open a window until the paint dries, right? But for those with health concerns, allergies or breathing problems, that might not be good enough. Those toxins — which come from the solvent that sticks the paint pigment to your walls and then evaporates — linger long past the new paint smell. In fact, household paints and finishes emit low level toxins into the air for years after application. For children (and what’s a major step in readying a nursery? New paint!) this can present a greater danger.

But, before you give up on plans for a new shade in the living room, check out low volatile organic compounds (VOC) options.

What the heck is low VOC paint, anyway

?

Low VOC: The Fresher Coat of Paint >> Lazy Environmentalist

Isn't that- According to the EPA, indoor air is considered among the leading five hazards to human health.-- sad?

I went to one of the biggest "Malls" i've been in recently- the Macquarie Centre (sydney suburbs). I remember it as a grassy farm-paddock. Now it is so big it has its own underground railway station. I felt like a country bumpkin as I explored its huge underground caverns /caves, The sound was strange, echoing rumble mixed with indecipherable musak and shop-lifting alarms. These whent off when every tenth person (it seemed) went past- no one seemed to pay any attention.

But the air, the air was very strange. It didn't 'feel' good or healthy. Very few plants all indistinguishable from plastic. A strange, alien future-world we are making for ourselves. (Yourselves?).:rolleyes:

Researchers have found that the presence of houseplants in homes and workplaces can reduce eye irritation and stress, motivate employees, improve concentration, and even reduce air impurities. Plants appeared to have a positive effect on headaches and fatigue and hoarseness, and employees even reported having less dry skin when plants were introduced to offices. Interior plants have also been shown to increase work productivity; in one study, employees' reaction time on computer tasks improved by 12% when plants were present.

Now, scientists are testing the impact of plants on student performance and satisfaction in the classroom. Jennifer S. Doxey and Tina Marie Waliczek from the Department of Agriculture, Texas State University, and Jayne M. Zajicek of the Department of Horticultural Sciences, Texas A&M University, published a study of the impact of plants in university classrooms in a recent issue of HortScience. Their main objective was to investigate the impact of plants in classrooms on course performance and student perceptions of the course and instructor.

Although the researchers found no significant differences in students' grades and academic performance, differences were identified in students' overall course and instructor evaluation scores. Of particular interest, statistically significant differences were found between control and treatment groups when students scored questions related to "learning", "instructors' enthusiasm", and "instructors' organization". Students from the group whose classrooms included plants rated these items higher on the satisfaction scale. In comparisons of the two student groups, the most apparent differences were reported by students who attended class in the room that was windowless and stark.

According to Waliczek, "Our results showed that interior plants appeared to have the greatest impact on students who were in the classroom that had no other natural elements. Results also showed that interior plants can be a suitable alternative in some cases to architectural elements such as windows. Our study supports other research showing that plants have value beyond aesthetics in interior environments, including promoting positive feelings in university students."

The complete study and abstract are available on the ASHS Hortscience electronic journal web site: The Impact of Interior Plants in University Classrooms on Student Course Performance and on Student Perceptions of the Course and Instructor -- Doxey et al. 44 (2): 384 -- HortScience

This is a puzzle. If plants release VOCs how come all the reseach says VOCs go down ie plants lower or remove VOCs. Can someone explain this?

The study concluded that "while ornamental plants are known to remove certain VOCs, they also emit a variety of VOCs, some of which are known to be biologically active. The longevity of these compounds has not been adequately studied, and the impact of these compounds on humans is unknown."

Knowing about natural bug control might be important. If we have a trillion indoor plants we could also have a billion idots with pesticide spray cans! :eek2:

House Plant Pests

Unfortunately, it’s also filled with low-level toxins. The air inside our houses can be three times more polluted than the air outside.

According to the EPA, indoor air is considered among the leading five hazards to human health. For many of us, that’s easy enough to shrug off: Open a window until the paint dries, right? But for those with health concerns, allergies or breathing problems, that might not be good enough. Those toxins — which come from the solvent that sticks the paint pigment to your walls and then evaporates — linger long past the new paint smell. In fact, household paints and finishes emit low level toxins into the air for years after application. For children (and what’s a major step in readying a nursery? New paint!) this can present a greater danger.

But, before you give up on plans for a new shade in the living room, check out low volatile organic compounds (VOC) options.

What the heck is low VOC paint, anyway

?

Low VOC: The Fresher Coat of Paint >> Lazy Environmentalist

Isn't that- According to the EPA, indoor air is considered among the leading five hazards to human health.-- sad?

I went to one of the biggest "Malls" i've been in recently- the Macquarie Centre (Sydney suburbs). I remember it as a grassy farm-paddock. Now it is so big it has its own underground railway station. I felt like a 'country bumpkin' as I explored its huge underground caverns /caves, The sound was strange, echoing rumble mixed with indecipherable musak and shop-lifting alarms. These whent off when every tenth person (it seemed) went past- no one seemed to pay any attention.

But the air, the air was very strange. It didn't 'feel' good or healthy. Very few plants all indistinguishable from plastic. A strange, alien future-world we are making for ourselves. (Yourselves?).:confused:

I believe most of the answers are to be found in the news brief itself. Not a particularly good study:

A total of 23 volatile compounds were found in Peace Lily, 16 in Areca Palm, 13 in Weeping Fig, and 12 in Snake Plant. Some of the VOCs are ingredients in pesticides applied to several species during the production phase.

Other VOCs released did not come from the plant itself, but rather the micro-organisms living in the soil. "Although micro-organisms in the media have been shown to be important in the removal of volatile air pollutants, they also release volatiles into the atmosphere", Kays stated. Furthermore, 11 of the VOCs came from the plastic pots containing the plants. Several of these VOCs are known to negatively affect animals.

Here's my take: Many/most of the VOCs are coming from microbial interactions with each other + potting media + plastic pots + pesticides/sprays applied to plants.

So, wash plants with soapy water to try to remove spray residues, change potting mixture to something more natural or healthy (as so many are manufactured junk), and change pots to ceramics like terra cotta, wood, or other materials that are unlikely to release harmful VOCs or other contaminants. Some microbes can degrade plastics, slowly but surely, or metabolize the chemicals released from the plastic. Encourage more aeration and airflow in pots to encourage aerobes to predominate the soil mixture and create healthy, functioning root systems. Toxic/smelly things are sometimes released by anaerobic processes. Also, add beneficial microbes if possible, so that they can help the plant, increase air filtering, and create and sustain a little ecosystem in the soil that keeps itself in check.

I have a personal beef against many of the potting mixtures that can be purchased for indoor use. Sometimes they contain little plastic beads, perlite or vermiculite, too much organic material, or unidentified materials that make me nervous. I have read that "soil amendments" used in potting soil can include discarded rubber from old tires, and obviously that's toxic. Peat/sphagnum moss is an unrenewable resource and isn't all that great for plants in the long term, though it is very good at encouraging seedlings to sprout. However, you can get seedlings to respond well with used coffee grounds, coco coir, compost, dry plant residues, worm castings, perlite, and weak black tea added to your mix (which will provide tannins and other organic compounds) and discourage damping or fungal rot/attack on seedlings.

Btw, it is important to keep in mind that plants will release some chemicals, etc. I think you mentioned one time that the Blue Mountains in Australia appear blue because the eucalyptus trees release oils into the air. So it's good to keep a variety of plants that can filter each other.

Knowing about natural bug control might be important. If we have a trillion indoor plants we could also have a billion idots with pesticide spray cans! :eek2:

?

Low VOC: The Fresher Coat of Paint*>>*Lazy Environmentalist

I went to one of the biggest "Malls" i've been in recently- the Macquarie Centre (Sydney suburbs). I remember it as a grassy farm-paddock. Now it is so big it has its own underground railway station. I felt like a 'country bumpkin' as I explored its huge underground caverns /caves, The sound was strange, echoing rumble mixed with indecipherable musak and shop-lifting alarms. These whent off when every tenth person (it seemed) went past- no one seemed to pay any attention.

But the air, the air was very strange. It didn't 'feel' good or healthy. Very few plants all indistinguishable from plastic. A strange, alien future-world we are making for ourselves. (Yourselves?).:confused:

Like you I miss open areas and green space. I don't believe people were meant to spend their lives living in tin cans and mole hills.

Thanks maikeru

I have always preferred Terracotta for plants even in our dry climate.

Interesting your comment on plastic pots.

I feel vermiculite and perlite are OK. They are rocks after all and it is sometimes good to have a very sterile medium for cuttings and seeds (esp. organic ones).

I buy cheap potting mix ($3 20L) then add peat, char, zeolite, or whatever (seaweed) depending on my best guess on what the plant will like. I would use more perlite and vermiculite if they were cheaper.

We still have conflicting comments/research on potting mixes and VOCs

• 1 month later...

The first anti article I have seen but with a rebuttal

Is this the research you were talking about maikeru?

Indoor House Plants Cause Health Hazards

. . .

"Although micro-organisms in the media have been shown to be important in the removal of volatile air pollutants, they also release volatiles into the atmosphere", said Kays.

VOCs released did not come from the plant itself, but rather the micro-organisms living in the soil. While some 11 other VOCs were found to be from the plastic pots containing the plants.

. . .

rebuttal:-

This is simply wrong, please print the follow up from the university as quoted here.....

.To Whom it May Concern, There have been a number of recent discussions resulting from information taken out of context from an American Society of Horticultural Science press release concerning research conducted on plant volatiles in our laboratory at the University of Georgia.

The release indicated that indoor plants have been found to release volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Unfortunately the results were subsequently misrepresented on an internet site, giving the impression that it is undesirable to have plants in our homes and offices.

This could not be further from the truth. All living things give off VOCs; one of the simplest is CO2 that we emit when breathing.

Therefore, solely equating VOCs with “harmful” is totally inaccurate. The fragrance of a rose or the aroma of apple pie are each made up of volatile organic compounds.

The assumption that has incorrectly been made is that all VOCs are equal and are harmful.

Mankind has evolved over hundreds of thousands of years breathing VOCs from plants, nearly all of which are harmless at the concentrations encountered in nature. Unfortunately over the last 150 years there has been a logarithmic increase in the number of synthetic chemicals from other sources to which we are now exposed.

A number of these are extremely harmful and in some cases, lethal. These undesirable volatiles represent a serious health problem that is responsible for more than 1.6 million deaths per year and 2.7% of the global burden of disease (WHO, 2002). Critical questions with regard to VOCs include:

What chemicals and what are their concentrations? In the website account, much was made of a minute amount of volatiles derived from pesticides applied to the plants. In reality, these pesticide-derived volatiles emitted from the peace lily represented less that four hundredth of one percent (0.038%) of the volatiles given off by the plant....

Indoor House Plants | Potted House Plants | Indoor Garden | Home Garden | Stanley J Kays - Oneindia Living

Anyone want to follow this up? I am not up to it at the moment (just out of hospital).