Science Forums

Space rock impact site(s)

Turtle

I may have found an impact site in Mexico! Go to

28º 18' 51.14" N

107º 55' 01.07" W

I have read that a number of new impact sites were found by using Google Earth, which is what I used. Have a look and see what you think. It is in any case, an unusual geologic formation.

The closest note on the map is a place called Cerro la Cuevita; is that 'hill with a cave"? :)

WOW! That place looks really weird. What's going on there?

But wait...

That's China... :cup: :shrug:

Let's see...

This seems to work:

28.3142056, -107.91696389

I have actually been there (well, close enough, I went to Basaseachi Falls [28.168, -108.219] and camped several miles to the east of the falls. The geology around there is astounding including great examples of karst topography. I'll try to dig up some pictures from the trip (a year ago). From what I know from ground level of this area, I would not suspect an impact zone, but rather a peculiar geography. That being said, I have not seen other examples of google-earth-detected impact zones.

I suppose a geological survey would be necessary to determine the abundance/lack of interstellar evidence.

It is very impact-looking eh?

:)

I'm going to download google Earth right now on this laptop and check it out.

I love that program! I know nothing of impact sites but I want to see it nonetheless.

boom

Bam! Ssssswwwweeeett! You'll love it Orby. Orby explores the Mother Orb. :shrug: Other map resources with satllite views may have it as well. :)

Let's see...

This seems to work:

28.3142056, -107.91696389

I have actually been there (well, close enough, I went to Basaseachi Falls [28.168, -108.219] and camped several miles to the east of the falls. The geology around there is astounding including great examples of karst topography. I'll try to dig up some pictures from the trip (a year ago). From what I know from ground level of this area, I would not suspect an impact zone, but rather a peculiar geography. That being said, I have not seen other examples of google-earth-detected impact zones.

I suppose a geological survey would be necessary to determine the abundance/lack of interstellar evidence.

It is very impact-looking eh?

Yes very strange in the roundness & especially looking at the surrounding terrain. I could see finding a circular sink in a karst terrain, but the interior looks a little jumbled for that and it's pretty big. I'll get some measurements from the map, while you scan your archive. I love this stuff! :cup:

Here's info on impacts found with Google. >> Astroseti.org : How to discover asteroid impacts

Here's a thread where we discussed impacts in general. >>http://hypography.com/forums/astronomy-cosmology/9072-craters-earth-other-planets.html?highlight=meteor+impacts

I think to pin this down further we ought to check the data base of known impact sites.

Earth Impact Database

Boom! Bam! Pow! :)

Post script: The formation is about 8 miles across at the shortest and 9 miles at the widest. Except for the dinosaur killer off Yucatan, the data base has no reported impacts located in Mexico. Google Earth Community has no marks for my discovery location either. Here's the screenshot from Google Earth. (click image to enlarge) :)

You might want to cross check with this site:

EarthNow! Landsat Image Viewer

Bummer is, you have no control over what you view. There is a similar feature just west of the one you spotted, that shows up on landsat. When I ran the google earth pointer over it, it appears to be a flattened mountain top. Also, south and a bit east of Big Bend (google earth) 28.28 N 102.48W is a feature that may be a very old, and very large erroded mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think I would have thought of scouring a burn area for meteor debris but it seems to hold potential.

"Those rocks are now believed to be ash and debris from an enormous meteorite, that crashed 700 miles away in Sudbury, Ontario, 1.8 billion years ago. Never according to the U of M geologists has this type debris been found so far away from the Sudbury impact site."

Article here:

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=254846

Just incase the link gets moved soon, the title is "

Gunflint trail fire yields geological treasure "

I may have found an impact site in Mexico! Go to

28º 18' 51.14" N

107º 55' 01.07" W

I have read that a number of new impact sites were found by using Google Earth, which is what I used. Have a look and see what you think. It is in any case, an unusual geologic formation.

The closest note on the map is a place called Cerro la Cuevita; is that 'hill with a cave"? ;)

Mighty interesting. Well spotted, dearest Turtle!

I would translate "Cerro la Cuevita" as "Little Cave Hill".

Mighty interesting. Well spotted, dearest Turtle!

I would translate "Cerro la Cuevita" as "Little Cave Hill".

Bueno! Gracias señorita. I have done some more looking and have found no hard info, but the crater is on the ring of fire and so may be volcanic. Even so, it would have been a HUGE eruption. At nearly 8 1/2 miles across, this feature is larger than crater lake which formed when Mt. Mazama erupted in Oregon 7,000 years ago. Crater Lake, Oregon

I'll keep doggin' it. :cup: :)

Bueno! Gracias señorita. I have done some more looking and have found no hard info, but the crater is on the ring of fire and so may be volcanic. Even so, it would have been a HUGE eruption. At nearly 8 1/2 miles across, this feature is larger than crater lake which formed when Mt. Mazama erupted in Oregon 7,000 years ago. Crater Lake, Oregon

I'll keep doggin' it. :rose: :)

I did some searching and found some sites listing volcanos in Mexico. The feature I spotted is nowhere near any of them. Here's what I found. >>

CVO Website - Major Volcanoes of Mexico - Map

Mexico

Slow & steady wins the race. >> :cup: :hihi: :cup:

Just a note to say I e-mailed USGS with particulars on my find as it is not listed anywhere as either a volcano or a meteor impact crater. Do I smell a Hypography sponsored expedition? :angel2:

I found another map that shows more impact craters than are listed in one of the online DBs. Heres a shot of the area your exploring. The * in purple are impact craters. I put a link to the original (and HUGE map) under the thread Major Land Resource Areas in this same forum, if you want to download it and explore it further.

An impact diameter of 12.874-14.484 km is within the typical range for a Terra impact crater.

28º 18' 51.14" N

107º 55' 01.07" W

Howdy Lambus. Sooooo...does that mean you think the Mexico feature is an impact crater? A volcano? Neither?

Using the NASA map I zoomed in and took down a bunch of place names from in-and-around the feature. Here's a few:

Prieto (this is almost in the center of the feature)

Agua Zarca

Guachochic

Bajio Las Palma

Ochocachi

Los Puertecitos

Loma del Menzano

Los Platos

Laguna de Caballos

Bajio de Conachi

Gualay Agua Caliente (can't find a translation of 'gualay', but hot water sounds like volcanic hot springs?)

Aserradero Entenachi

Otuachi

Cumbres de Gualayna

Norogachi Batayeachi

Haciendo de Beneficio

Huerachic

Los Nogales

La Parida

Sinforosa

Rancho Viejo

:angel2: :angel2:

PS Here is the thread for meteor impact sites in general. >> http://hypography.com/forums/astronomy-cosmology/9072-craters-earth-other-planets.html?highlight=impact+craters

Stop the presses!!! Breaking News!!! I just found the Big Momma! Here are two map shots, one from NASA's World Wind map, and the other from Google Earth. I circled the Big Momma in red on the NASA map; it is 135 kilometers across! On the Google Earth map, you can see where I marked my first find that started this thread.

I found another map that shows more impact craters than are listed in one of the online DBs. Heres a shot of the area your exploring. The * in purple are impact craters. I put a link to the original (and HUGE map) under the thread Major Land Resource Areas in this same forum, if you want to download it and explore it further.

Roger. Nice find! I have it bookmarked. No record on it for my find area.

So, if these are meteor impact craters then we had quite a barrage rather than a single big piece perhaps? Any body found anything on the geology/rock types of the area? If these are volcanic craters we should find ash, and if impact craters we should find tectites.

On we go then! :angel2: :angel2: