Science Forums

Oh wow, Time for SEX! (picture post)

Ganoderma

Made ya look. Perhaps im an ***, but this is sex nonetheless:hihi:

Some cacti are flowering! most are now ID'd, have to admit, cactus classification sometimes makes me hate taxonomy alltogether!!!!!! :esmoking:

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/kada/id-1-6.jpg[/img]

EDIT: i guess i did not show the actuall sex, as i am no pervert! i will say, however, there was a baggy, forceps and a little blue paintbrush involved. :cup:

on a side note, does that smiley look like "agree"?

Enjoy the flowers :esmoking:

no problem. I noticed this forum is seriously lacking in photos. and it is spring time and mroe than just animals are in the mood right now. You have any photos of your cacti? do you have any? or succulents (for some reason they are called "multi meats" in chinese....i don't get that one)? surely people must have at least an aloe vera?

Made ya look. Perhaps im an ***, but this is sex nonetheless:hihi:

Some cacti are flowering! most are now ID'd, have to admit, cactus classification sometimes makes me hate taxonomy alltogether!!!!!! :smart:

EDIT: i guess i did not show the actuall sex, as i am no pervert! i will say, however, there was a baggy, forceps and a little blue paintbrush involved. :esmoking:

on a side note, does that smiley look like "agree"?

Enjoy the flowers :spin:

Sweet prickly pear Ganoderma! Outstanding sex at its best. :bounce: Yes, it looks like agree. ;) What else could that smiley be doing? :angel2: We have a cactus in the house and I have no idea on its ID and it hasn't bloomed in 5 years. Can I provoke it to bloom? Whisper sweet nothings in its succulent crevices?

Nice work on both the flowers & the photos. :cup: :esmoking: :esmoking:

Nice Ganoderma! are those your pictures?

See how important the Evolution of Flowering plants is!? :cup:

I try to keep plants in all the window sills.

I've had this catus for a quite few years now. since it was tiny! I've had to stake it because it leans so heavily toward the light it gets a little crooked..

But my little baby flowers every year!

thanks all. yes flowering plants are extremely usefull and interesting (i think). yes racoon those are all mine. those are all taken in the last couple days, most of my cacti have been flowering this week, except my rootstocks (hylocereus and opuntias). other plants are flowering profusely for me as well, namely stevia, some purple beans and nasturtiums!

Your cacti look quite happy. i have no clue what yours is:shrug: but its always good to have a cactus kicking around. many cacti can even grow outdoors in canada/america/europe. in teh winter just keep it out of frost and water and it can handle cold temps. i grew them outdoors in canada just made sure they were next to the house (under the roof so no rain got them). they grew slow, but i hade peruvian cacti in canada, which is pretty cool.

turtle: it depends on the specie. some like to bloom when its cold and wet, some cold and dry, some hot a wet etc etc. a lot liek to flower when going through the end of a typical american winter (cool dark days), and then the day length increases (ie spring). but it really depends on what you have.

"Whisper sweet nothings in its succulent crevices?" :)

soothing a cactus may prove rather painfull, but try as you might. :eek:

i have a bunch of prickly pear as well (opuntia sp.) but they are not flowering. in fact i find the genus rather offensive, glochids are horrendous little evolutions!!! here they flower in januaray/february. that said i use them for nothing more than grafting rootstocks and lining areas i dont want dogs (still too small to work:evil: )

Wow! beautiful Penthouse quality shots!

Thank you. You must be a very proud parent!

Let's see if your thread title can out hit the poetry forum

(Poetry? 13,000 hits? has no one got a life?):)

Here the Prickly pears get to 4-5 metres and are covered in fruit.

My wife hates cacti so I don't grow any. Though one day thought I might try growing a peyote.

ya they can grow very large here too, so long as one of teh many crappy drivers doesn't flatten it first. 4-5 meters? not likely here, but 2 meters is common.

cacti people seem to either love or hate. thats cool. you should definatly try a peyote. hell, if you want i will give you a couple seeds if you are commited enough to them. they are a very lovely cactus, but very slow. aside from whatever "special" aspect pepel draw from it, there is something very gratifying about growing lophophora.

here are a couple pics of some of my lophophoras. one even gives me triple flowers! not too common with these guys.

Lophophora diffusa

lophophora williamsii seedling grafted. this is only 5 weeks old! 1 cm across.

i will try and get soem other pictures happening too, but the above are the most exciting thing in my cacti section right now. That and i have just grown a variegated Trichcereus pachanoi seedling.

• 3 weeks later...

yes i love them as well! do you have any now? i would love to see them! how patient are you? and what country are you in? i have some excess seeds of various globular cacti :xparty: as you can see from all the flowers.

how about an update on that variegated graft on the first page.

here it is now, nice and yellow!

and here is another lophophora williamsii. this is a fricii that is about 8cm seed grown...maybe 7+years? my favorite in my collection. this was breed with a variegated williamsii so i am hoping for some variegated babies :hyper:

Fantastic photos, I love cacti. Before a Hurricane blew it away I had a greenhouse 16 by 32 full of cacti. If you get the chance you should try to grow the grafted cacti base. If you get a grafted cacti the base is usually a tropical cacti that is four sided and has little or no barbs. If you remove the graft top and allow the base to grow it will grow into a giant hanging basket type of cactus. It has blooms 18" across and 24" long. they open one night for a couple of hours and then die. they smell wonderful! Give it a try.

Michael

you lost your entire greenhouse and cacti? that is beyond horrible!!! hoepfully everyone was alright!

those grafted ones are the ones at the top of this page. Hylocereus undulatus, aka Dragon Fruit. It grows everywhere here as a commercial crop, cause the fruit is so damned tasty! the other is H. trigonmus (sp?) which is very similar in appearance.

here is a pic with one of my larger cacti grafted to said stock :angryfire: (has a flower so it is still relevant)

you lost your entire greenhouse and cacti? that is beyond horrible!!! hoepfully everyone was alright!

those grafted ones are the ones at the top of this page. Hylocereus undulatus, aka Dragon Fruit. It grows everywhere here as a commercial crop, cause the fruit is so damned tasty! the other is H. trigonmus (sp?) which is very similar in appearance.

here is a pic with one of my larger cacti grafted to said stock :angryfire: (has a flower so it is still relevant)

Yes the part with the roots are the cactus I am talking about. Huge blooms, I never got any fruit maybe they didn't get pollinated correctly. Probably a specific animal like a bat or something that doesn't live where I do. Yes I lost more than two hundred specimen sized cacti. I had huge barrel cacti, saguaro cacti more than ten feet tall. Two hurricanes in one summer less than four weeks apart and then an early frost devastated my cacti. All I have left is a couple of native cacti and a large sago palm. I never rebuilt the greenhouse it was just too expensive and I lost almost 30 years of cacti culture. I am too old to start over again. I won't live long enough to see any cacti get that big again. I grow fish now and bonsai trees. I have managed to combine the two and grow bonsai cypress, water tupelo, mangrove and swamp apple trees in aquaria. It's an interesting hobby but I still miss my cacti blooms.

Michael