Science Forums

I am continually being stopped from giving "reputation' to what I think are investing, informative,imaganative or posts that expand the topic under discussion

"You must spread more reputation around before you give it to "X" again"

This is unfair, unreasonable and unnecessary.

In Transactional Analysis there are unlimited "Warm Fuzies";

so too there should be unlimited reputation points.

This is tantamount to saying "you should just give me as much money as I want!"

You spend your own money wisely (I hope! :eek2: ), you should spend your rep points wisely too. Since this is given in the system as "rep power"--the amount of points you give someone when you rep them--rather than a running total, "spreading it around" is an easy to understand and quite logical mechanism for doing so.

We would love to get more feedback on your opinions, so continue complaining, but realize that for the present time the current scheme--warts and all--is a decent compromise of goals.

Unintended consequences,

Buffy

I sometimes wonder whether the required number of posts before you can give rep to the same person again should be reduced.
Just to clarify, you need to *give reputation* to 9 other people before you give it to the same person again, its not the number of *posts*.

And do think through the unintended consequences of making it easier to generate abuses of the rep system (which we have not seen so far, but which might crop up if it were so much easier to "round-robin rep" a small group).

There are certainly many members who don't feel as constrained by this, but that's because they give generously, and that's not a bad thing! :)

We are indeed looking at changing aspects of the rep system, so I don't want to discourage this discussion, but at the same time, what makes it an interesting problem only becomes apparent after you think through what actually happens in a system like this and how slight changes like this can produce radically unpredictable results.

You deserve some rep today at Hypography, :hihi:

Buffy

"You must spread more reputation around before you give it to "X" again"

I think one point about the reputation system that's in operation currently is that you give reputation for those excellent posts that you believe is worthy of making that particular user know what reputation he has and what reputation other people view him as.

For example, people who see someone in excess of 300 rep. points will recognise that this particular user is:

1. Well respected in opinion and postage.

2. A long-term member that has been valuable to hypography.

3. Continual high-standard posting which is greatly appreciated among members.

These types of characteristics are what the rep. points tell a member reading this piece of data.Therefore by restricting the reputation by this method used is not really correct and wrong as it contradicts the whole idea in my view of this system. It shouldn't be the case either that people must catch up making it fair; this isn't a competition where everyone is in a race, people whom have good posts should be rewarded with these points. People wouldn't deliberately make a friend higher in rep. points either.

Considering this, if I see that one person has an extraordinary great post that I appreciate, I will rep. him/her. Now say 2 days later the same person does another great post and whom I believe is doing really well in posting, in essence I should rep. him again, there should be no restriction here I believe.

Using the term Buffy " Spreading it around ", is actually ridiculous.

This is because you have to wait further and further and then suddenly rep. someone for the sake of it at that point and then possibly " forget " or mislay the intended rep. you wanted to give to the other member, before giving it to another member, It's not a Race!:hihi:

LJP

there should be no restriction here I believe.

A couple of problems show up:

• Two trolls whom everyone hates, successively rep eachother to give themselves more reputation than anyone else.
  • Rep works both directions: Fred decides he doesn't like you, so under this scheme, he can give you neg rep for every post you've ever posted and give you a long line of red boxes under your name.

This is why you have to have some sort of mechanism for limiting reputation. I'm not saying the current system is the best, only that the implication of what you're arguing for is not as good as it sounds.

Again, you live your life on a budget. Why shouldn't Hypography be any different? Its a society and it has constraints.

Spend wisely,

Buffy

A couple of problems show up

Indeed.

If this ever occurred, and the chances of getting many of them occurring atthe same time is improbable. Obviously, that person who gives neg-rep must have their reason, if someone suspects this, which would be obvious and for obvious reasons, One would contact admin about the problem. If you did have new rule regarding rep. like the free limits one then you could add in a suggestion into the rules, something in the region of:

" If anyone feels they are deliberatley getting bad rep off another member, they should contact an admin or moderator member "..quite a badly written one but makes a point.

:hihi:

If this ever occurred, and the chances of getting many of them occurring atthe same time is improbable.

Looking at it with rose-colored glasses my friend. Let's forget about neg-repping someone into oblivion because they rub us the wrong way. Let's look at up-repping.

You're inflating the value of rep.

Any idiot and their friend could sit up all night long giving each other rep points back and forth until they both reach 100,000. Then, when regular users login in the morning, those users who use rep for what it's intended, see these... lower caliber posters... showing a huge score for recognition, it not only makes the rep itself meaningless, but makes the site look bad too.

Perhaps a flag could be added to posts when a user tries to rep it but is unable due to needing to spread it around first. Something like the current infraction system, but good, and viewable by all users and guests.

"This post was recognized for quality by a member unable to provide rep points..." Something along those lines might be a good compromise.

If we unlock every ATM on earth so that the money that comes out of them has no impact on the user's account, then the money within them becomes meaningless.

If the spreading restriction is removed then it makes the ones rep power redundant, rep power is the amount you can give in one go - so without the restriction you become just as powerful as any other member.

I do sometimes think that 10 is bit much to have to spread it around, perhaps it can be lowered, but certainly not to 0.

This is tantamount to saying "you should just give me as much money as I want!"

no complimenting someone costs nothing and there is an unlimited bank account of compliments or "warm Fuzzies"

You spend your own money wisely (I hope! :turtle: ), you should spend your rep points wisely too.

Well no I don't actually; but the money analogy is not one that I accept as valid

Since this is given in the system as "rep power"--the amount of points you give someone when you rep them--rather than a running total, "spreading it around" is an easy to understand and quite logical mechanism for doing so.

I do spread it around But am constantly stymied. I guess it does tell me that I am commenting to much on one person's posts or does it? How exactly does the system work?

We would love to get more feedback on your opinions, so continue complaining, but realize that for the present time the current scheme--warts and all--is a decent compromise of goals.

Please don't look at my comments as "complaints"; merely a suggestion for change or improvement.

What are the "compromise of goals"?. What is the 'goal' and what is the 'compromise'?

Unintended consequences,

Buffy

Is that what we have?

no complimenting someone costs nothing and there is an unlimited bank account of compliments or "warm Fuzzies"
That which costs nothing is worth nothing. If I know you give out rep blindly to everyone, it does not mean anything to me. On the otherhand if it is a resouce that you have to *work* to conserve, it means a lot.

Try this: Save your time. When its your significant other's birthday, pick the first card at the end of the aisle even though it has nothing to do with birthdays and just put your name on it. Hand her the card.

OR

Remember what her favorite flowers are. Go across town to find a good batch of them. Make a reservation at her favorite restaurant. Make sure the waiter knows in advance which desert she likes and that she should get *one* candle, and *no one* should sing.

Now the latter takes far more time, money, care. You need to study and save up for it.

Guess which one she likes better?

I do spread it around But am constantly stymied. I guess it does tell me that I am commenting to much on one person's posts or does it?
You're impatient! And you're impulsive! And you don't look at all the opportunities! That's why you're so sweet and we all like you so much Mike! :D

What it mainly tells you is to sit back and take it all in. No, not everyone will get rep from *you* when you think they deserve it, but it will *mean more* when you do. And chances are that if its *really* worthy of rep, someone else will have the same idea as you! :)

How exactly does the system work?

We've actually got a 7215. But ask questions if its not clear.

Unintended consequences
Is that what we have?
Yep! That's why we want your input! We want to make it better than it is. Just remember not to make any *more* unintended consequences! :turtle:

Thanks! :shrug:

Buffy

Despite the fact that you are right. That is no argument.:)

How can I get 18,000 rep points? What is the point?

I only want to send a message to other posters saying I appreciate or am impressed by their post. You meanies won't let me. (SULK)

I can do the same thing by just clicking on the green square???

Then there are lots of complex sums involved?

Very confusing

I only want to send a message to other posters saying I appreciate or am impressed by their post. You meanies won't let me. (SULK)

Easy! Send a PM telling the poster you appreciated his post and you think that he's the best thing since sliced bread and you forever give your soul to him to use as he pleases in his evil attempt to take over the world.

I do it quite often, actually, when the machine tells me I can't give rep.

I have been in favor of ditching the entire rep system for a while, or replacing it with something else. But it's not "very confusing". You need to "spread it around" by giving rep to 9 others before you can rep the same person again. It is *very* easy to understand.

Guest chendoh

I can do the same thing by just clicking on the green square???

Then there are lots of complex sums involved?

Michaelangelica....

One thing you can study along with the complex sums, is....

tormond has 5x's as many post as you,

8x's as many threads, but...

But you have 8x's more rep

My Gosh, I apprieciate the one you gave me!

Mabe, We can have a donation made to a worthy; for lack of a better word, 'cause'.......

I only have 12 reps right now, but I would be willing to donate 11pts or 11$ or 11euros, to something we believe in.

I think it would also be okay to save one pt. for a mother....

So I guess we need to pick a worthy 'cause'.
/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif

:) Can this be the May Contest? :eek_big:

With All My Love.........chendoh