Science Forums

H C N A 05 - Who do you want to see?

IrishEyes

On GAHD's advice, I asked DN about New York, as she lives there. I just received the most wonderful e-mail from her (really is quite a Divine one, Tormod). She has volunteered to be our tour guide, and thinks the idea of all of us getting together sounds awesome. (and she misses the forums, and hopes to return very soon).

That is absolutely perfect! Big thanks to DN. :)

Here's an idea- maybe try something in NYC but not in Manhatten. That way you can still take the subway in everyday, but it would be cheaper. I live about an hour outside of NYC and my father grew up there, so I know the area pretty well. You could also stay in Jersey and take the train into the city. If at all possible avoid making arrangements where you need to go in cab because they are really expensive. I know some places to eat too. One example I can think of off the top of my head is Carnegie Deli. It's this Jewish deli near Canegie Hall and lots of famous people eat there. For NYC it's pretty cheap, and you get a lot of food. The natural history museum has the new planetarium, that might be a nice place to go.

becca, your ideas are great, keep them coming!! WHERE can we stay that we can still take the subway into the city? how far does the subway go? i know I looked it up on the subway site, but that deosn't really tell me much as far as PRACTICAL stuff, like how bad the neihborhoods will be, or how long we'll travel every day to get to the stuff we want to see.

also, my hubby's boss just planned a trip for about the same timeframe, and he had a really hard time getting show tickets. he suggests that we set our date and get our tickets NOW. i'm all for this suggestion, as i would really enjoy seeing a show while there. Yvonne, any suggestions? if not on Broadway, then we'll kidnap you guys and take you to the Kennedy Center when you come south... :Alien:

dave, i'm not sure how many people will be there. are you planning on showing up with anyone? can you drag becca? honestly, we'd like to have at least 15, but realize it might be difficult. there will probably be 8-10 of us, so far... Tormod and Yvonne, me and mine, Gahd, Killian, alex, and Divine... and maybe Freethinker and his SO... Not sure of anyone else yet, but hoping for more!

uhh, i think we may be thinking of different Kennedy centers, huh? I see how committed you are to the theatre for your loevly wife though! :Alien:

What theater can possibly outperform a shuttle launch? But it would help to be at the right Kennedy Center, yes... :Alien:

What theater can possibly outperform a shuttle launch?

I dont know Tormod, thats a hard one. You see, I really havent been to that many shuttle launches, err... i meant any, but lets see, proble mission launch or better yet receiving the drone data in the control center, private tour of SpaceShipOne, the bringing down of the main Microsoft building, the moment hypography reaches its first 10000 users...

How hard Broadway tickets are to get depends on what show you want and how picky you are about seats. The same thing is true of prices. I know Dave is planning on going and dragging me with him. I will allow myself to be dragged since it is his birthday, and I think I'll have fun anyway.

The subway pretty much only stays in the city limits, but you could stay, for example, in a close New Jersey area and take New Jersey Transit into Penn Station for only a few dollars. There are definitely some areas to stay away from. I'd need to know the street number though to tell you... If you stayed in a brandname hotel though, it would most likely be in an area where you would be relatively safe.