Science Forums

H C N A 05 - Who do you want to see?

IrishEyes

It's almost perfect for a small group of people to stay for a weekend. It will accomodate

all of us that have expressed an interest in attending. And I'll bet that the owners might be willing to give a group discount...

"Rates start under $200, which makes The Inn on 23rd one of the nicest surprises in the New York hospitality market." *shudder*

Is that per person or per room? I doubt we'll be able to make any of our student friends attend at that price... :)

And I thought Oslo was expensive!

Check out vacation rentals also. I did a google on 'vacation rental new york' and got some good hits. This place would be great for 2 couples, and a few single people... (hint hint to the Canadian maybe's)...

http://www.cyberrentals.com/NY/Mcco5NYC.html

OMG...what league are you in?

This masterly appointed home is available as a year round property. $3,500.00 per week $15,000/month $2,100/weekend.
I think that's slightly higher than what we can cover even with Hypography's National Treasure Fund (you know, for that island we are going to buy).

Finally, some responses I can address!!

Yes, they are high. And way out of the league of most of the people coming into town, I guess. However, as NOBODY will give a price range that they are hoping for, I'm left to search for what I would LOVE to have, instead of what is more realistic. :)

How much can everyone afford? $100/night? $150/night? More? Less? Need to know some details before I book a villa on the Hampton River, ok?

Why not ask our members in NYC for a bit of help in finding affordable places with decent rates (or maby I'll be lucky and the Canadaian dollar will climb ten fold vs the USD)? Hmmm, time to start lcomparing air/bus/train fare and driving again... :)

Why not ask our members in NYC for a bit of help in finding affordable places with decent rates

We have members in New York? Where are they? THey don't post very often. I would LOVE to hear from some native New Yorkers, and would love it even more if they came to the convention.

Actually, I found this place... "Ramada New Yorker" The average price would be in the 150's, but they could lower it with a 5 room reservation, and my travel club discount, to near 120/night/room.

Of course, we'd need 5 couples (or singles) to agree to be there.

I'm planning on being up there on the 13th, and leaving the 15th or 16th, depending...

We'll plan Hypography stuff for Friday evening (online chat), Saturday morning (museum visit), Sunday brunch (with local science author, TBD - suggestions welcome). That leaves pleanty of 'free' time for me and Yvonne to shop and hit Broadway.

I'm guessing most everyone will arrive sometime Friday, and leave soemtime Sunday.

Good call on the currency converter.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/ftlee

Also, I want to stress that we'd like to make this as affordable as possible, while still maintaining a certain level of comfort. And as Tormod mentioned, there may be a Hypo fund to help anyone that would like to attend but is experiencing financial restraints. Send me a PM and let me know if that applies to YOU, ok guys?

I actualy have a friend that I know online who lives in New York. I'll ask her if she knows of any good/cheap hotels and attractions there. To narrow the list down a little, are there any ideas of exactly which part of NYC we would like to stay at?

GAHD and I are probably going to come down so I'll throw in my two cents on that list of yours Irish.

1) Anywhere that is half decently cheap. 150(CAD) a night seems alright.

2) A guest lecture sounds wonderful. I also like the idea from FT about the New York Hall of Science. Others that would be nice are a museum, Liberty island, maybe a play or orchestra.

3) Group rates!

4) I'll help in any way that I can.

On GAHD's advice, I asked DN about New York, as she lives there. I just received the most wonderful e-mail from her (really is quite a Divine one, Tormod). She has volunteered to be our tour guide, and thinks the idea of all of us getting together sounds awesome. (and she misses the forums, and hopes to return very soon).

Killean, as long as you drag that cooky Canadian south for a bit, I'll be very thankful. We'll find a nice place, and an affordable place, and a fun place... And this trip will be GREAT!

I'm just so excited about it I can hardly belive I have to wait until May! Now where the heck has Yvonne gotten off to? Tormod please tell her that I don't have messenger installed on the laptop that I'm using, but I think it is on MY computer, which should be back up in 2 or 3 days...

Dang. She lives about 7 hours out of NYC in Jersey. The only times she has been in New York she only stayed for like a day. Sorry for the false hope.

However, what I can do is join in the search for things via the internet like everyone else. Better then doing nothing to aid HCNA05.

From IrishEyes:

Killean, as long as you drag that cooky Canadian south for a bit, I'll be very thankful. We'll find a nice place, and an affordable place, and a fun place... And this trip will be GREAT!

No worries. That guy is pretty hyped about the convention, as am I. You'd have to cement our feet not to come, even then I think if we started hopping now we could make it there by May.

I'm right here Irish... eh..

Too much to do and too little sleep, you probably know the drill with small children and christmas... and now a cold seems to be brewing.. next week comes from a place umentionable ...

I do however agree with the exchanges between you and Tormod, and the others. I think it's a good idea to use some time more to get ideas, and then we can evaluate and set up a plan. I hope that works?

the wife