Science Forums

H C N A 05 - Who do you want to see?

IrishEyes

It's official, with dates and all!

The Hypography Convention North America 2005 will be held in New York City from 13-15 May.

1) Where would you like to stay? It's cheaper to stay in Jersey, but a bit inconvenient. That would involve cab fares, etc. Also, what type of place would you like to stay in? A "days Inn" type place, or a Hilton type place? Someplace with a free breakfast? Tell me what is most important about your lodging...

2) What type of activities would you like to do? Do you want the weekend to be planned, with a little bit of 'personal time'? Or would you prefer to have only one or two Hypo things, with the rest of it 'your time'? For the Hypography events, what would you like to do best? Do you want a lecture? Would you rather go to a museum or other scientific place? Or would you just rather hang out and eat pizza all weekend (since Tormod said he was buying pizza for everyone that shows up!)?

3) Would you prefer to make your own reservations, or do you want to decide on where to stay as a group in order to get a better rate? Do you belong to any type of travel club that offers discount hotel rates?

4) Are you willing to help us plan this event? If so, please contact Irish or Yvonne, or simply post in this thread.

Thanks for your input, and looking forward to hearing what you guys want!

Or would you just rather hang out and eat pizza all weekend (since Tormod said he was buying pizza for everyone that shows up!)?
Oooops. Thank heaven for credit cards (didn't that use to be Tim's old signature?).

I'll wait and see what others say...but folks, if you have the SLIGHTEST chance to be near NY during this weekend I promise a great time! Well...it's up to all of us, of course, but this is really a nice chance for some of us to get together and meet in Real Life (now, that's a scary thought).:)

Oooops. Thank heaven for credit cards (didn't that use to be Tim's old signature?).

I'll wait and see what others say...but folks, if you have the SLIGHTEST chance to be near NY during this weekend I promise a great time! Well...it's up to all of us, of course, but this is really a nice chance for some of us to get together and meet in Real Life (now, that's a scary thought).:)

Well ill be happy to be with you all guys but im too far away, it wont be scary tormod if we meet in real life cause (i think im not scary but my thoughts are scary).

Well ill be happy to be with you all guys but im too far away, it wont be scary tormod if we meet in real life cause (i think im not scary but my thoughts are scary).

:)

One thing we could do during the HCNA05 is to try to arrange a live chat so that everyone can participate via the web.

One thing we could do during the HCNA05 is to try to arrange a live chat so that everyone can participate via the web.

That's actually something that I thought about too - how to get people to attend that can't 'physically' attend. But then I sounded like one of our threads, so I just dropped that line of thinking... :)

I forgot to add my preferences:

1) I like B&Bs. They can be a bit pricier, but always worth it. Also, you can usually get a good 'group' rate, if you are renting multiple rooms. Also, most offer places where a group can gather, like a lecture room, or something.

2)I would like to have 3 Hypo events, including at least one guest lecture, a visit to a museum/planetarium, and the online 'chat'. I would also like to have some fun events. A Broadway show, a visit to Liberty, and of course SHOPPING.

3) I think it would be most economical to make a group reservation. I also am part of a few different discount programs, and would be more than willing to make reservations for everyone.

Tell me what is most important about your lodging...

A warm grate with wi-fi! RE the Jersey comment, that was my point from the beginning. NYC is an expensive place and from my stay's there, hard to find a nice place. Even the names with higher rates are old and dumpy. Well there is the Hotel Intercontinental.

2) What type of activities would you like to do?

Van Morrison show. Guggenheim. NYSE. watch someone get mugged. (not me). some Jewish deli. Chinatown.

"The New York Hall of Science is New York City’s only hands-on science and technology center"

http://www.nyhallsci.org/

As before however. At this point I really don;t know what timing is going to be like. We have just set up a new LLC and who knows what it will be like at that point in time!

Llc?

Limited Liability Company.

Good for you guys, Freethinker. SO you should have PLENTY of money by then, huh? :)

Yes, NYC can be expensive in some things :) , but very affordable in others ;) . Where else can you still get a hot dog from a street vendor for under $5? :D

I'm going to do some checking and try to come up with a list of 5 or 6 reasonably priced places, post them, and let you guys choose.

Also, I think your suggestions are great ones, and we might have to add a few to the list. Of course, as Yvonne and I will both be there, Broadway and shopping really are a MUST ;) .

Oh, and just in case you guys were counting... :)

THIS IS POST 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ;)

. Where else can you still get a hot dog from a street vendor for under $5? :)

Downtown Milwaukee.

Hot dog vendor and hometown hero

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/oct02/85000.asp

"You don't have to go as far as Philly to find street vendors selling hot dogs. . . Milwaukee has 'em. . . Cleveland has 'em too. . . in fact it wouldn't surprise me if Chicago was the only mid-western city that doesn't. . .

Tom in Chicago "

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=133536&page=2

A quick Google and it showed some interesting B&B's actually. IN NYC!

I just PMd this one to Yvonne:

http://www.innon23rd.com/

It's almost perfect for a small group of people to stay for a weekend. It will accomodate

all of us that have expressed an interest in attending. And I'll bet that the owners might be willing to give a group discount...

Give it a look, and tell me what you think. If anyone else has any links, please post them so we know what we've got to work with, ok?