Science Forums

How much do you hate IE

How much do you hate IE?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How much do you hate IE?

• It's a little frustrating at times...
    • Wouldn't use it, but you are on your own, i use it only when i have to.
    • Wouldn't recommend it even if i was drunk and passing out at a party!
    • IE sucks, it's such a total piece of crap!
    • Loathe it entirely and would not be caught dead in the same building with an IE developer!!!

Well, it depends on what you mean by "abuse"... I've been using IE7 (dean edward's library, not the new version of IE) for years to "fix" IE5 and IE6, and one of the things it does is handle alpha transparency for pngs in IE. But that hardly constitutes "abuse"....

Irregularly transparent,

Buffy

Also, you missed my vote option:

"I would love it if all my customers would not use IE (including those who want to use IE6 with ActiveX turned off but still want Ajax), but they do, so I gotta."

Reality bites,

Buffy

I get the point of the poll. I just don't agree with any of the responses.

I spent many years developing a retail web site and web applications. And I didn't find developing for IE to be as much of a task as your responses indicate. The closest of the responses would be the first one. Honestly though, I had more issues with FF than I did IE. Not many, but more.

I did include a smiley face in my first response, I did not intend for you to take it as a personal affront.

Honestly though, I had more issues with FF than I did IE. Not many, but more.

I believe that's more of an, IE requires weird coding that often doesn't work in FF b/c it isn't valid, if IE always worked with valid XML/CSS etc then there really wouldn't be many problems.

You are quite likely correct. I know some of it is exactly that, while I am sure some of it was simply the very early versions. As new versions of any software tend to have more issues.

I am simply saying, regardless of Microsofts reasons for bugs, or Netscape's or Firefoxes, there are bugs. And I have had less of an issue coding for IE, than the others.

I am not saying that is everyone's experience, it may even be uniquely my experience. It is just the experience I have had. Thus the reasoning for my lack of response to the vote as my selection was not there:shrug:

Many users of IE7 are facing problems.

Spyware Sucks : Diagnosing and resolving problems with Tabbed Browsing in IE7

Excavator for IE7 problems

A lot of precautions are adviced to avoid known issues - no other

browser has these 'limitations':

Known issues - Internet Explorer 7

Internet Explorer 7 has been heavily criticised in the months before and after it came out, particularly by users of competitive browsers. Some critics say the majority of the new functions is blatantly stolen from Mozilla Firefox.[24] Also, various serious bugs and security leaks have been discovered.

Internet Explorer 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Microsoft’s IE Blog, the new version of the Internet Explorer browser will be ready this month, and some web developers are concerned about the new version’s compatibility with some websites.

IE7 upgrade may cause problems for web developers | Internet Marketing News and Blog | E-consultancy.com

October 2006 - IE7 upgrade may cause problems for web developers

Nagging Rendering Problems - Easily the issue which will keep me from upgrading all my machines for awhile. Some pages (nothing terribly complex) look completely wrong in IE7, even those that look just fine in IE6.

Hands-on Review: Internet Explorer 7 : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

Why some sites may not work with IE7:

Every time a new version of Internet Explorer has been released, there have been sites that will not work with that new version.

I also know for a fact that very few websites and programmes won't work with IE7 as they're not up to date or that they're no longer updated. In Trillian 3.1 Basic Build 121, checking for your mail or clicking on the URL link from messaging services (Yahoo!, AIM, ICQ or MSN Messenger) won't work until they provide a fix for this problem.

One problem is that you cannot move the toolbars up and down as you used to in previous versions of IE, but other than that, people should live with that until Microsoft provides security updates and bug fixes on the 14th of next month.

Internet Explorer - User reviews and free download at Download.com

no, not really T that is not a verry accurate description of a situation.

your website, that you call fuel, is constant, its what cars people drive to get to your gas station that you are asked how much you hate, whether its an old oil burner that gets 6 miles to a galon and a quart of oil, or a new hybrid that gets 55-65...

VS are you some sort of a search bot? i am starting to follow a certain resemblence in your posts.... i want to hear your thoughts and experiences on the subject, not some other blog post/news story one. Everyone who knows anything about computers, more then checking their email and typing up reports, knows that IE has serious issues, but its not everyone who has serious issues with support for something as simple as alpha transparency in pngs in IE...

Z, I also did not mean to offend you in any way. Microsoft, in IE has decided to make their own standards, back in IE5, there have been differences between ANSII approved HTML tags and IE HTML tags and attributes from all the way back then. Today, IE is moving back to supporting all the ANSII stuff, because they are tired of developers complaining of stuff not working. So one used to coding for IE would have problems with firefox (as i had) because you are used to stuff that does not work correctly in IE and you use your work arounds, while FF supports the initialy correct stuff and work arounds actually break the look. :irked:

no, not really T that is not a verry accurate description of a situation.

your website, that you call fuel, is constant, its what cars people drive to get to your gas station that you are asked how much you hate, whether its an old oil burner that gets 6 miles to a galon and a quart of oil, or a new hybrid that gets 55-65...

I think you got my analogy wrong. Hypography is the gas station, not the fuel. :(

Wouldn't recommend it even if i was drunk and passing out at a party!

That one sounds most like me :alien_dance:

I have been doing this new thing, whenever I use someone elses computer I install firefox and set it as the default browser :(

Just doing my part to rid the web of IE