Science Forums

Who Am I

pmaust

Hello all. Happy New Year! My first introduction was a little light, so I thought I would expand it just a bit. First, let me say that I am very greatful to have found this wonderful web site. What I hope to do here is to learn and to discuss. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute a little. But, it is pretty clear that there are some very smart people here. Needless to say, I am humbled. Having read a little here before posting I thought it would be better to more completely introduce myself. At least that way you will have a better understanding of who I am and where I am coming from philosophically and intellectually.

So far, I have spent most of my time reading the Evolution forum. I very much look forward to getting to the other forums as they are all of interest to me.

My background:

1) I am a USA American.

2) I am an atheist. However, I do not wear my atheism on my shirt sleeve like a badge of honor. I am not an athiest because I have reached some level of higher counsiousness or intellectual awareness or anything like that. I simply have not found a "God" therory that I have subscribed to.

3) I was educated in the Humanities. I studied philosophy in colledge. Originally, I wanted to be a philosopher of science. I was derailed from that endevor by accepting a position with a large aerospace company and getting into data processing. I have been there ever since. Over 25 years. I am a mainframe systems programmer. Over the years, I have had many titles. Systems software design engineer, systems programmer, design engineer, analyst, and so on. The bottom line is, that I know how to put a system together that satifies the requirements for whatever enterpise I am working with. Sometimes it is business, sometimes engineering or scientific.

4) I very much enjoy music. I am a self taught guitar player and write songs. I have a good buddy who I collaborate with. He is a bi-polar manic depressive. He has written entire rock operas during manic episodes. He has since undergone treatment and is doing quite well. I work with him to develop the music and prepare the songs for public presentation. They are really good!

My mother is a classically trained pianist. She has taught piano, harpsichord, and organ for many years. She will turn 91 this year and still gives private lessons. In addition, she is a member of the national piano guild and a judge. She travels all over the country judging students. She was very unhappy that I never took up the piano. :)

5) My mother was a devout christian and my father was an agnostic. Growing up, I was allowed to make up my own mind as to what I would or would not believe. My father never pressured me or tried to convince me one way or another. Of course, my mother has tried to convert me to christianity for many years. Much to her shagrin, I never did.

6) I love the USA. First, there is no such thing as "separation of church and state"! You can read the Constitution all you want and you will never find anything like that. The Constitution simply states that the government will not endorse or institute a religion. It is not so much a government thing as it is a culteral thing that Judeo-christianity is so prevolent throughout the culture. It is a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people". It just turns out that most of those people have judeo-christians leanings.

So, how does an athiest fair in such a culture? Very well. I have never believed in "God" and no one ever put a gun to my head to insist that I need to be re-educated into the proper way of thinking. I cannot understate that. The USA is truely a great country. It truely has lived up to its promise. I think that is why so many people have immigrated here and continue to want to immigrate here. Not only is there incredible economic opprotunity, there is freedom to believe whatever you want!

I have read about Alexandria. The US appears to have much in common with Alexandria. In Alexandria, many different religions were represented. That is true of the USA. In Alexandria, science and philosphy flourished. That is also true of the USA.

With humanity it seems, there is always conflict. Competing ideas ultimately result in political struggles.

Now, it is late. I'll have to finish this later. :) Hopefully, we can have some interesting discussion and debate. Do I believe in Evolution? Not completely! Will I try to convince you that Intelligent Design is behind everything? No. But, I hope to discuss these things with you. I don't pretend to know all the answers. I am equally conviced that you don't either. That is is why I hold out for the promise of some interesting discussion and debate.

Until next time,

Paul

Paul, that was a great introduction. Thanks! I especially like this bit myself:

I very much enjoy music. I am a self taught guitar player and write songs. I have a good buddy who I collaborate with. He is a bi-polar manic depressive. He has written entire rock operas during manic episodes. He has since undergone treatment and is doing quite well. I work with him to develop the music and prepare the songs for public presentation. They are really good!

I am a guitarist myself (22 years now!) and would love to hear some of your stuff!

Paul,,

YOur introduction is outstanding, or maybe that should be Astounding.

Thank you so much for sharing those insights with us. I firmly believe knowing a little more than the date a person is born helps tremendously when trying to evaluate and understand a post, especially when the poster has a different POV than your own. Now I know a little better where you are coming from, and that is great!

I look forward to reading your opinions in Evolution, and in the other forums. A word of advice - don't get discouraged! There are MANY people with an amazing amount of ideas that will probably seem very overwhelming at times. Just stay true to who you are, and be willing to evaluate each new idea on its own merits. I have changed many of my opinions about a variety of things since being a member here, and some of my beliefs have been strengthened. But the funnest part has been the journey, not the destination. Hope that makes sense. :)

I am a guitarist myself (22 years now!) and would love to hear some of your stuff!

I know. I put that in there for your sake. :) I would love to hear some of your stuff as well.

IrishEyes, you wrote

A word of advice - don't get discouraged! There are MANY people with an amazing amount of ideas that will probably seem very overwhelming at times. Just stay true to who you are, and be willing to evaluate each new idea on its own merits. I have changed many of my opinions about a variety of things since being a member here, and some of my beliefs have been strengthened. But the funnest part has been the journey, not the destination. Hope that makes sense.

Excellent advice. Thanks! I plan to read for awhile longer before posting anything.