Science Forums

Good narcotics, or bad?

some people consider addiction a mental illness. I know what your saying, perhaps people may have become mentally ill without the drug, but it seems a large percent of drinkers are depressed/anxious in varying degrees. When i get drunk i generally feel down emotionally, but in small amounts (1-2 beers say) it makes me feel more talkative/sociable etc.

I think that is a very hard one to pin, as we will never know if a person was going to have mental illness without taking the drug.

although some drugs seem to have been "proven". Wade davis wrote a book about daturas being used to make zombis. before dismissing it they were talking about the plant causing death like symptoms and later on, years later, being found again. my point here was it made them completely messed up mentally, completely. these have been used throughout africa/americas for similar types of reasons. other nightshades like mandrake/henbane were used in europe. these as far as i have read have been proven to cause mental illness.

Wade davis wrote a book about daturas being used to make zombis. before dismissing it they were talking about the plant causing death like symptoms and later on, years later, being found again. my point here was it made them completely messed up mentally, completely.
Though I can’t attest to the accuracy of reports of people being made into “zombies” with datura or other drugs or techniques, I’m of the impression that some such reports are accurate. Subjects/victims of such zombie-making procedures apparently undergo a period in which their respiration and circulation is so reduced that they suffer permanent brain damage due to lack of oxygen sufficient to severely impair their cognitive and motor function, but no so severe that they die. So the condition is actually an injury, not a neuropharmacological reaction to the drug used. In principle, such a condition could be induced by any technique that duplicated the physiological context of the injury, such as smothering the subject to the point of unconsciousness for a long period, yet allowing them enough air to prevent heart or other fatal organ failure.

Needless to say, this is terribly bad medicine!

Brain damage from drug overdoses pose a serious risk to public health, although the likelihood of seriously damaging the brain without killing the person is presumably lower than with an intentional procedure like the dreadful voodoo mentioned above.

A class of illicit “drugs” that have a high risk of causing brain damage are inhalants, such as butane. These substances typically have no true neuropharacological action, but rather block the lungs’ oxygen exchange membranes, starving the brain of oxygen. Abuse of inhalants is terribly dangerous, especially because they are easy to obtain, and have legitimate uses in lighters and similar tools, as solvents, etc. :lightsaber2: A tragic consequence, IMHO, of many government and public health agencies loss of credibility due to their promotion and publication of inaccurate information about low-risk illicit drugs, is that accurate warnings about the recreational abuse of very dangerous substances, such as inhalants, may be ignored by young, poorly educated people, because they have discovered that other government and agency warnings are essentially lies. :)

A class of illicit “drugs” that have a high risk of causing brain damage are inhalants, such as butane. These substances typically have no true neuropharacological action, but rather block the lungs’ oxygen exchange membranes, starving the brain of oxygen. Abuse of inhalants is terribly dangerous, especially because they are easy to obtain, and have legitimate uses in lighters and similar tools, as solvents, etc. :naughty: A tragic consequence, IMHO, of many government and public health agencies loss of credibility due to their promotion and publication of inaccurate information about low-risk illicit drugs, is that accurate warnings about the recreational abuse of very dangerous substances, such as inhalants, may be ignored by young, poorly educated people, because they have discovered that other government and agency warnings are essentially lies. :turtle:

Those are some very good points, never thought about it that way. i agree, seeing people come into labs that are gas huffers or the like are usually in pretty bad shape....perhaps as bad as meth addicts.

about the zombification. i guess it really depends on ones definition of death and zombie. but you are right, zombie is usually not dead, just seriously slowed down (according to that book). in those scenarios it could be other things that cause the brain damage like said. oxygen deprevation is most likely (from being buried alive...). i am curious though with drugs like daturas and mdma that can raise your temperature...how can that affect your noggin? short or long term?

i am no doctor but i believe that is why a fever can be so dangerous. a temp of 105-106 is getting very bad. I had 106 when i was a kid and i was in the hospital for 3 days. the doctors took it VERY serious. That said i cannot say for sure. I THINK, not sure, that this is one of the dangers with mdma as well. I have seen people go to hospital when using mdma due to over heating and likely dehydration.

i thought shrooms would be more toxix then on the graph..and datura is just plain deadly as well as meth.im still undescided now as to how much drugs a mind can take given that persons psycological state

Well....

The human body can take a lot of abuse. If a person has the will to live, they will live longer than a person who has given up and does not want to live.

Some people smoke cigarettes every day, and yet,

just a tiny bit of pure nicotine can kill no problem.

mushrooms, as in psilocybe, are not very toxic at all. they are dangerous in a sense that people can harm themselves while on them though.

Amanitas on the other hand are deadly toxic.

Just cause the body can "take" it doesn't make me to anxious to try it. the body can store a lot of DDT as well, but i dont go showering in it to get rid of squitos.

another i thought interesting....

HARMINE

It is a Cytotoxic, Neurotoxic, Tremorigenic hallucinogen. i am wondering what this substance may do to your brain short/long term. i have heard it is also some kind of mutagenic, but can only find a source for it being Desmutagenic.

and there is this chemical (also found in the same plant as the above).

HARMALINE

this one has many activities possibly leading to brain damage???

Bradycardic, Cytotoxic, Desmutagenic, Psychotropic, Tremorigenic.

i cant say as i can understand how all those work on the body exactly, but its food for thought. But it is used either on its own or mixed with other things (such as dmt) for its MAO inhibiting affect. which to me, is a little risky.

Very interesting read. Sorry for not replying, I was away.

Ganoderma, I agree with you answer #2 in the sense that there is more bad consequences of alcohol than herb, but to me the bad ones of herb are worse.

Another thing (I didn't research on the net):

The amanita doesn't seem to me to be fatally toxic, it just gives you somach ache for 3 days...but maybe it depends on the dosis.

One problem with amanita mushrooms is there taxonomy is horrible, and there are other species (likely non-studied) that look similar. It is not commonly fatal (i have read only one recent reported death) but is toxic and has the potential to be fatal. that and the experience to many is rather frightening and causes many to visit the hospital. it has ibotenic acid, which can possibly be fatal.

I think i overplayed it before, but certainly more dangerous than psilocybe mushrooms. the problem is they both have very high risks of mis identification when hunting without experience. amanitas have deadly species and psilocybe can easily be mistaken for the super deadly Gallerina species.

i suppose what i am attempting t say is ibotenic acid/muscimol is far far more dangerous than psilocyn/psilocybin. both physically and mentally.

EDIT: about the effects being worse...what in marijuana is so much worse? to me alcohol causing liver failure, heart issues or death among many others is worse than the problems marijuana may cause such as cancer and other lung problems. i cant find any info on weed causing schizophrenia.