Science Forums

Funny sounding words and phrases

TheBigDog

NASCAR fans will remember the driver named...

Dick Trickle (no joke)

And the Hall of Fame football player...

Dick Butkus (he had no choice but fighting)

At work we create user names using our first initial, middle initial and first six letters of the last name. My favorite is...

BJQUICK (I laugh every time. We use his name as our test user at HQ.)

I went to school with a girl named...

Cynthia Crotchfelt (A worse name than head any day of the week)

Bill

Haha - Crotchfelt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In SA, there's a big illiterate component of society. Whilst being sad, really, some funny moments do happen when they try to come to grips with modern society, modern technology and the need to register your newborns at the Home Office. With such sterling original names as:

Ringtone Mashabane

Call Waiting Molefe

Matric Exemption Tshabalala

Delicious Ndlovu

Cellphone Masakela

...and many others.

I kid you not. If you don't believe me, ask Chacmool. It's a laugh-a-minute, really.

Haha - Crotchfelt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In SA, there's a big illiterate component of society. Whilst being sad, really, some funny moments do happen when they try to come to grips with modern society, modern technology and the need to register your newborns at the Home Office. With such sterling original names as:

Ringtone Mashabane

Call Waiting Molefe

Matric Exemption Tshabalala

Delicious Ndlovu

Cellphone Masakela

...and many others.

I kid you not. If you don't believe me, ask Chacmool. It's a laugh-a-minute, really.

It's true. Boerseun's real name is actually Speed Dial Serote.

Not only do I pity every fellow called "Richard", but I positively crack myself up whenever they're referred to as "Dick". I actually met a guy (one of the middle managers) at my previous company called Richard Johnson. I kid you not!

Good one Boerseun,

I once knew a Richard Head, a Joe King married to a Lee King whose son was called Wayne King.

• 2 years later...
Nuke-u-lar - Thanks Mr Bush (oh and his name, does he know it's slang for a certain patch of hair...)

That is the way i prononce it.

Much to the disgust of the women in my life

I put it down to my Irish ancestry.

One malapropism that I can never get out of my head is the toast

"Let's raise our arses to the Queer old Dean"

It is a curse having a visual mind.

PS

OOPPS

The WWW says it's:-

"Let us glase our asses and toast the queer dean."

I prefer my misquote.

If you're ever in South Africa or Namibia and you want to thank somebody, tell him to buy a donkey.

I kid you not.

In Afrikaans, the term "thank you" is "baie dankie", which is pronounced, of course, "buy a donkey" - much to the confusion of tourists who can't seem to fathom why the locals keep on telling them to invest in the livestock market.

Good one, it reminds me I heard that English languge tourists down there are often confused by the bilingual roadsigns, they read them as "slags only" and wonder if they're allowed to go that way when in fact it's the only option!!!

It happened to the parents of an old friend of mine, serious! They were told it happens to plenty of tourists.

S'all right...y'all can't spell aluminum:wub:

Though we do enjoy very much laughing at how the rest of the english speaking world pronounces it:hihi:

It's history. The dominance of the spelling used in North America has been attributed to Charles Martin Hall's mistake when advertising his new electrolytic method of production, despite he himself had usually spelt it the accepted way. There had already been a bit of discussion between the two spellings, to the aim of conformance with other chemical nomenclature but, at any rate, the 'i' remained elsewhere and not only in English, it's in Italian and I checked with French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Russian and Arabic dictionaries here in the library. The IUPAC adopted aluminium as the standard international name but also recognizes aluminum as an acceptable variant. :lol:

The IUPAC adopted aluminium as the standard international name but also recognizes aluminum as an acceptable variant.

:)........[gasp]...:hihi:

So what you're saying is the rest of the world is "playing along" with us:hihi: That's great "those stupid Americans are at it again sir.....what should we do?":hihi:

• 3 weeks later...
:hihi:........[gasp]...:hihi:

So what you're saying is the rest of the world is "playing along" with us:hihi: That's great "those stupid Americans are at it again sir.....what should we do?":hihi:

Just ignore them maybe they'll go away.....pass the crisps:lol:

Crisps!!!! They're chips mate!!.....but then again they're not really chips off the tater.........hmmmmmm....

banana hammock :hihi:

monkey shines

schnidtzel

Schicklgruber

schnee