Science Forums

Hello, I am new to this forum.

Neuro

are you aware that laughter, and fun, are linked to longer lifespans?

I’ve come across the odd article that claims every basic human desire is linked to a longer life span. The problem with such articles and studies is that they correlate information in a way that is very subjective and pseudo-scientific. There is no accurate way to study this material at the moment.

Generally speaking, the conclusions these studies more often note is that people who are happy live longer which is hardly a groundbreaking discovery at all when you look at what makes people unhappy. People who are happy are people with money and stable family situations generally able to afford the luxury of good times, good sex, healthy food, and so on – thus, they live longer. To say fun or laughter increases the lifespan is to overstep what you can claim as fact.

If you ask for opinions, respect the replies you get.
Rude and offensive behavior is not tolerated.

Arguably, you could claim I have broken these rules already. These are two extremely subjective rules. I will do my best to look out for them.

It is important to note that if I seem hostile or offencive in a post, it is likely just my nature. I generally live in disgust of humanity and enjoy the internet because it allows me to be myself in a way that is not really feasible when you have to play the social games of the real world to get ahead.

I am in no way a bigot and I hold no prejudiced or biased opinions. I am here to learn and play through method of debate. That is all I intend to do.

Despising humanity? Hoping to achieve immortality? Into medicine for the money? Studying psychology but personally possess no humour or other emotions?

Friends, Hypographites, Countrymen: We have been joined by a honest-to-God Marvel comics supervillain!

Mwuhahahahaha...

:eek2::lol::friday::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I hope I'm not treading on your personal life, but do you have any passions, neuro? Is there anything which makes you feel strongly emotional?

No. Not in a way that you would consider a valid answer. I am relatively disimpassioned. I enjoy music, comfort, calm, peace, intelligence, and intellectual stimulation. I’ve listed what I live for really, and, thus, see no need to do such again.

supervillain!
I often have trouble distinguishing joke from sarcasm from honesty. Fortunately, I am incapable of taking offence, and thus, give all permission to flame away at what ever rate the moderators will tolerate.

I would eat children if it was legal and morally acceptable, does that help further your hypothesis?

I said in one post that I wanted immortality and power, if I had power, the first thing I would use it for is to acquire slaves, though in no way racially selective.

I am into comfort, longevity, satisfaction, stimulation, and fulfillment...

...I seek stimulation, usually through form of discussion and mental interplay....

Fun is a foreign concept to me. Things are neither humorous nor fun. Existence and time are not laughing matters, just dull ones. The two can be enhanced with levels of comfort and stimulation.

you throw around the word "stimulation" a lot.

There are many different types of stimulation. But you seem to cling to one form of it. And seek absolutely nothing more. The bare minimum.

Food, sleep, pretentious rants.

It seems so unbalanced to not have any fun at all. To not seek equal doses of all types of stimulation. Running, playing, laughing, eating, dreaming, singing, drumming, plucking, writing, interacting, manipulating.

Why do you live? It sounds like all you seek is dark content.

Why does any of this matter to you?

We all are born, move things around a bit, and then die.

The point is. Why not have fun? What makes intellectual stimulation so much more important than having a giggle every now and then? How much further are you ultimately getting by not letting yourself losen up and have fun?

eh?

I’ve come across the odd article that claims every basic human desire is linked to a longer life span

Well, that's interesting but not relevant. pgrmdave mentioned "laughter and fun", not "basic human desires". I'd say laughter is a reflex, not a desire.

...when you look at what makes people unhappy. People who are happy are people with money and stable family situations generally able to afford the luxury of good times, good sex, healthy food, and so on – thus, they live longer.

The basic assumption here that money and stable familiy situations are required for "luxury of good times" (now there's a subjective term) etc is far fetched. That they "live longer" is questionable IMHO. This is where the need for evidence comes in.

To say fun or laughter increases the lifespan is to overstep what you can claim as fact.

Go here:

Entrez PubMed

and search for laughter. You may be surprised.

What kind of music do you enjoy?

Generally speaking, I do not fancy lyrics of any sort. I prefer things to be non-lingual. Music is best when it serves as a replacement for background noise. I have an odd outlook on music, I think. I look at music as if it has an innate quality that provides it utility during particular functions. I consider certain music to be driving music for example. Other music is for games. Other music is for studying and the like.

A personality trait, or I suppose lack of self, would include that I do not like to make statements of endorsement. One who stands for nothing falls for nothing.

At one point in time I was studying music and typically in the company of several local musicians who either taught guitar, were members of Jazz bands, or embarked on some quest of assembling their own recording studios and musical careers. Through them I was influenced to take an interest in playing guitar and learning through people like RacerX, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, and blah blah blah. Generally, of them I only really found Satriani to be tolerable, and of his portfolio I only really enjoyed his Jazz tracks. The important part of this stage in my life is that I learned to distinguish complexity from idiocy and what I would later come to dub good music from bad. I lost interest in playing music years later and the amplifiers now sit in someone else’s garage somewhere. As for the guitar, it is with me, but, I suppose I should pawn it or exchange it to one of those former guitar friends who now sells his own line of 7 and 12 string guitars.

Generally, I prefer something that has a lot of beats and smooth tones when driving. I would second such only to silence because I like to relax while driving at times. Driving to me, is like taking a warm hot shower. It is relaxing. Put me in a car and give me a coffee with a place to go and I am generally pleased.

Music for gaming would have to be something a bit raunchier than the above. Electronic music for such is usually a good idea, but nothing that is bordering along the lines of techno or anything too obnoxiously high pitched. When I play games, it is usually to troll people and the music should suit such an activity. My taste in electronic music is highly specific and I do not think you would be at all interested in what I enjoy. It is generally, very dull, very dark, and very bland. Like I said, nothing along the lines of techno or something obnoxious.

Lastly the category of studying and other, this would be, I suppose, something complex and intelligent. For some reason, I like violins, and I also believe that electronic music holds a good amount of ground for the other category but not so much studying. If I am studying, I do not want anything obnoxious; something light.

Finally, I understand the hypocrisy of writing about what music I ‘enjoy’ when I’ve said I do not ‘enjoy’ things. I am limited by an overtly emotional language and thus will at times appear a hypocrite in such discussions when such words have more than one meaning and more than one method of application. I immediately saw your question as an attempted trap of such, but, decided I would answer it anyways. Surely, you understand the difference between puppy-joy and musical-preference.

you throw around the word "stimulation" a lot.

There are many different types of stimulation. But you seem to cling to one form of it. And seek absolutely nothing more. The bare minimum.

Food, sleep, pretentious rants.

It seems so unbalanced to not have any fun at all. To not seek equal doses of all types of stimulation. Running, playing, laughing, eating, dreaming, singing, drumming, plucking, writing, interacting, manipulating.

You may find me to be either of bottomless depth or instant boredom. Personally, I am both fascinated and bored with anything. I find the two states of mind to be equal.

Surely, you must agree that humans only laugh at words or thoughts that do not make sense? Why waste your time with such?

examples include: a fat man on a tiny bike. A joke of Hitler speaking of his dogs not having a nose and then saying his dog smells awful in reference to his dogs ability to smell and not his actual smelling, all the while in front of an audience of sixty million die hard Nazis. Etc.

You see, what people laugh at is generally things that do not fit together in a logical way. It is like a game of three objects and one of them does not belong, only, the mere fact that one of these objects so obviously does not belong brings humans to this bizarre state of insanity in which they begin this sinister chuckle that is in fact contagious and spreads to those within the vicinity. Laughter, is dark, in my opinion. It is an odd state. It is insanity. I don’t like humour at all at all. Lastly, jokes that are not based on the model of “Which of these things is not like the other” are based on harsh insults against a weak and defenceless being, which do not require that I address them to expose how out of sync they are.

Why do you live? It sounds like all you seek is dark content.

Why does any of this matter to you?

We all are born, move things around a bit, and then die.

The point is. Why not have fun? What makes intellectual stimulation so much more important than having a giggle every now and then? How much further are you ultimately getting by not letting yourself loosen up and have fun?

I consider myself similar to Richard Dawkins in the sense that I do not need faith to live my life and get anything out of it. I’ve found out what brings fulfillment to my days and I live for such. I do not need love, emotion, fun, joy, or laughter to permit me to feel stable in my thoughts.

I am not really capable of these things and seeking them is not really an interest of mine. I enjoy my existence as is. The tasks that you outline are chores that I pretend to exhibit when in a social situation despite my contempt for them. They are not things that I am to chaise with open arms.

Out of curiosity, what would you make these slaves do?

Well, granted, I would not be without an array of perfected femme slaves if we are to be entirely honest – In addition to such, I would also want slaves to provide personalized live music to be played around me at all times I dub necessary, monumental architecture to be built to match my own visions, gigantic walls to cut off the world from my little realm, sculptures that make you think, paintings, the creation of interesting landscaping to blend it all together, and so on.

Honestly, having someone to ‘delegate all of your tasks to’ is the greatest idea ever conceived. If ‘twere’n’t for its breaking all moral boundaries imaginable, then it might actually be a realistic dream. Maybe one day we’ll have robots to fill that void.

You may find me to be either of bottomless depth or instant boredom. Personally, I am both fascinated and bored with anything. I find the two states of mind to be equal.

Surely, you must agree that humans only laugh at words or thoughts that do not make sense? Why waste your time with such?

examples include: a fat man on a tiny bike. A joke of Hitler speaking of his dogs not having a nose and then saying his dog smells awful in reference to his dogs ability to smell and not his actual smelling, all the while in front of an audience of sixty million die hard Nazis. Etc.

You see, what people laugh at is generally things that do not fit together in a logical way. It is like a game of three objects and one of them does not belong, only, the mere fact that one of these objects so obviously does not belong brings humans to this bizarre state of insanity in which they begin this sinister chuckle that is in fact contagious and spreads to those within the vicinity. Laughter, is dark, in my opinion. It is an odd state. It is insanity. I don’t like humour at all at all. Lastly, jokes that are not based on the model of “Which of these things is not like the other” are based on harsh insults against a weak and defenceless being, which do not require that I address them to expose how out of sync they are.

It seems to me, that you and I have very similair opinions on the topic of a typical joke. I respect your reasons for not getting all giddy over an ape that tries to make laughter dribble off of your chin.

I personally, do not typically laugh at comedians or anyone who tries to make humor.

Some things just ARE funny.

Sometimes, I laugh at the sight of a tree in the middle of a meadow.

Sometimes I laugh at shapes, colors.

I laugh at Vibes.

I laugh at myself.

I laugh at rythmic patterns.

I laugh at linear focuses.

I like to laugh at things that aren't meant to be funny- things that just occur at random by impulse. Or by nature. Or by habit.

That type of stuff gets me rolling with laughter.

Statements that are purposefully nonsensical just for the purpose of being funny are actually kind of distasteful and annoying. (i think)

There are many ways to laugh and to love.

I believe you probably have your own ways of laughing and loving, even if you don't externalize it.

as long as you're alive and progressing, I suppose that's all you need, right?

Laughter to me is a dark state of contagious insanity. I do not understand how one could comprehend it in any other way. Love is a different matter altogether.

Laughing at a tree in a meadow? Odd. I am pretty sure I have humour figured out, so, I am not going to allow myself to study what you find funny or you are surely going to destroy my working ideas of it with your finding parallel lines to be hilarious.